• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes

Hair Loss

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Did anyone else experience hair loss / scalp problems as a result of Celiac Disease? It's not falling out so much anymore but it's not really growing in leaps in bounds either. I've been on the recovery trail for just over six months now and I'm still experiencing dry scalp and limp hair.

Just wondering if anyone has any treatment ideas / supplements that helped or if anyone lost hair and had it come back? <_<

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Have you had your thyroid checked? Thyroid disease can be associated with Celiac and a symptom of that can be hair loss.

I did have hair loss in the begining when I was really sick. My Dr said it was due to lack of protein and the fact that I was losing so much weight. I dont see the hair coming out as much any more ...gluten-free since Feb04 ..... but its also not growing back <_< Thankfully I had thick hair to start with.

I have both hair loss and scalp problems. The hair loss I know is at least partially attributed to my hypothyroidism, but I am also sure it is from vitamin deficiencies also. I have found that the shorter I keep my hair, the less hair that falls out.

Karen

My doctor recommended taking biotin (along with patience) to help hair growth. Fyi: an average adult can lose 60-70 hair strands a day as a part of natural shedding.

Also for scalp issues, check your shampoo, conditioner, and any other hair products (sprays, gels) for wheat proteins.

Once I eliminated those products I noticed a big difference on my scalp - no longer as itchy and flaky.

Ads by Google:

I've not been diagnosed yet but have all the symptoms of celiac disease and just to let you know I had the same thing. It was worse when I couldn't figure out what was making me feel sooo sick and I was still eating a lot of gluten. But now that I'm limiting it I haven't been losing as much hair.

Ads by Google:

Guest Viola

Hello;

A big cause of hair loss is a lack of vitamin B 12! This is also common amoung Celiacs. My youngest daughter was loosing a great deal of hair until she started taking B 12 shots. Her hair has grown back nicely. My levels aren't quite so low, although I'm on a pill supplement. I had some hair loss, but it didn't come out by the handful like my daughter's did.

Have you doctor check your B 12 level, it's a simple blood test. :)

About 2-3 months before my diagnosis I was losing more hair than normal. I think hair loss in celiacs is a result of vitamin/mineral malabsorption due to villi damage in the small intestine.

Once I started the diet it stopped.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Serah

• Topics

• Hello everyone Thank you so much for all your contributions and tips, I'm sorry for my absence but I've had a big project deadline to complete. Over all, I think things are on the mend for me too.  I was quite cynical at the doctors' approach at first. I'd have much rather had a scope to find out what was happening, instead of being prescribed three months of omemprazole or zantac to see if it helped.  Unfortunately the gen on the zantac contraindictaions list stipulated that zantac should only be prescribed if your doctor is sure what is wrong with you, as it might otherwise be covering up cancer!  Those aren't the things a hypochondriac wants to read!  Anyway,  during this that time I've taken one months of omeprazole (20mg) and as that gave me D I changed to two months of zantac (most days only 75mg a day, but doubling the dose on odd occasions when the burn seemed to come back).  During much of this period I've tried to keep my diet low in fat, spicy food, drinking very little caffeine, drinking strong camomile and slipper elm, and I think a key help has not eating for a 12 hour stretch overnight because I think that really helps the stomach heal.  I hope my system is finally recovering and hope to come off the zantac towards the end of this month.  It is hard to phase these things out slowly when you are already on the minimum dose, but all the tips about marshmallow, licorice and slippery elm etc will no doubt come very helpful then!   I have come to the conclusion that this is a new weakness in my system and I'll have to be very careful to avoid gastritis in the future, by no longer taking asprin (unless the doctor ever tells me I have to), not over doing fat, greasy food, etc.  The last time I drank some sparkling wine or fizzy drinks was awful, so I shall avoid them too. Throughout this time probiotics have helped me with the C, upper left quadrant pain  and wind that the zantac seems to have produced! And of course all the help from you guys. Will keep you posted Whitepaw on life post-zantac!
    • Ennis, can you tell us how to tell the difference between a UC flare and a glutening? It must be confusing for folks diagnosed with both to know at first which it is that is happening.
    • i ended up with dairy intolerance over 10 years ago, and celiac over 4 years ago, then this year got ulcerative colitis diagnosis.

Dairy issues are caused by the fact the enzymes to digest it are produced by the tips of your villi, these are damaged first and most by the disease and you end up with dairy intolerance. Some people can add it back after a few years of healing. Other allergies and intolerance issues will also develop the longer your on gluten.....it will really just shorten the list more, as damage ramps up, digestive issues arise, and your body starts confusing other foods as a culprit and developing allergies.

Your UC complicates things and is honestly going to make you much madder then the Celiac as per its flare ups. UC common triggers are gluten, soy, dairy, and in some cases like mine it is triggered by carbs and sugars like glucose and fructose.....yeah I had to go grain free and change to a nut, seed, leafy low carb veggies and egg white diet.
      Since you can not have nuts but do not mention meats I can say your lucky. I developed a issue where I can not digest meats due to my damage. I might suggest you look into a keto/paleo diet. Where you eat meats, eggs, leafy greens. a higher fat/protein diet.

Now after 8 months on this diet I am seeing even more improvement and had have several issues resolve and am putting on weight.
    • You say your on a gluten free diet, just a check. Did you get new cookware, check every ingredient, throw out old contaminated cutting boards, jars of condiments, etc. Clean out everything? You first have to decon your house in a way and make sure it is not in anything, including cosmetics and soaps, as these get on your hands and evenutally into your food. Gluten is a protein smaller then a germ, it only takes a tiny bit to start to raise your antibodies, and bleach does not kill it.  Please check hte Newbie 101 form.

Now to address your questions, a whole foods only diet, nothing processes will speed up your healing, changing to making your own foods with simple ingredients (keeping it under say 5-7 things) and nothing processes or not labels gluten free (with certification, none of that made in the same facility) is the best way to heal faster.

Keep a food diary to keep track of what you eat and any other problems, many of us have other food intolerance and allergies crop up. Also make sure your getting a little bit of everything nutrient wise.

Iron and supplements, iron works with vitamin c and b vitamins and some  others. You have to be taking vitamin C with your iron to get your ferratain up. I personally have this issue also. I can give you some suggest some other stuff to help clear up the fog, even if your levels are alright they still help on a gluten free diet. Liquid Health Stress & Energy and Liquid Health Neurological Support 1tbsp each twice a day. I recently changed over to a sublingual iron from trace minerals....takes some getting used to be is supposed to be easier to absorb.  Magnesium, Look into either Natural Vitality calm or Doctors Best in the powder, both these mix in a drink. With calm you have to start off at 1/4tsp and slowly up to the full dose over a week....it can be a bit harsh on the gut if you find this to be then use doctors best. I rotate vitamin C between a pill, and sublingual depending on price myself. I find pricing on the above goes to either LuckyVitamin.com or Amazon as they fluctuate.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/91878-newbie-info-101/  
    • A dairy issue would not cause positives on the celiac panel.  You may even get dairy back after some time on a strict gluten free diet.  I am sorry you are having to deal with these issues but strictly following the diet may help not only the dairy issue but also may ease the UC. Ask any questions you need as we are here to help in any way we can. Do be sure to check the Newbie thread at the top of the Coping section for some valuable info on all you have to do to stay safe.
  • Upcoming Events