This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Mercury Poses Health Risks...

Rachel--24

solo Newbie
In my opinion, had you never had the fillings in the first place you may not have ever required ANY daily shots.

That's the exact conclusion that I came to. I had my first few mercury fillings when I was around 10. I was only diagnosed with insulin-dependent diabetes around 16 or so. Of course, my CF doctors told me that diabetes was a result of the mucos in my body blocking the pancreases secretion of insulin. They even have a special term for it: CFRD. That's their protocall response. It would be shameful not to mention embarressing for them to admit that something condoned by the government is responsible for an illness.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel, I'm curious what you mean by the ADA changing its position. When I checked the ADA website's response to the recent FDA changes, they were stubbornly standing by their previous position that the amalgams are safe.

Carla, I didnt say anything about the ADA changing their stance. :huh:

As far as I know they havent changed anything...and I dont see that coming any time in the near future.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
It would be shameful not to mention embarressing for them to admit that something condoned by the government is responsible for an illness.

Exactly. Its unfortunate but oh so true....and I feel the same way about the Graves Disease that I aquired a few years before I totally lost my health.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Ursa, even the ADA acknowledges (after years of denial) that the fillings leak mercury. The formula used in the fillings was changed in the early 70's and since then have leaked even higher amounts of mercury vapor.

Carla, I didnt say anything about the ADA changing their stance. :huh:

As far as I know they havent changed anything...and I dont see that coming any time in the near future.

So you must have meant the FDA here. :)

KristaleeJane Contributor

Rachel

I have a few mercury fillings that I want to get removed. If I was going to just have those teeth completely pulled out, which sound bad but there in the back so I really don't care at this point. Would it be necessary to take all the precautions? Or would that pretty much be the same as any other way. Just curious because I really want them out of my mouth.

Thanks

Krista

Rachel--24 Collaborator
So you must have meant the FDA here. :)

No....I worded it correctly. The ADA has acknowledged (for some time now) that the fillings leak. They just dont acknowledge that is can be harmful.

They've already admitted that the fillings leak...that is not anything new. Its only *new* that the FDA is now stating that mercury is a neurotoxin and that exposure from amalgams can cause health problems.

I think you were misinterpreting my post...but it has nothing to do with the new statements made by the FDA. The part about the fillings leaking mercury is "old news".

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel

I have a few mercury fillings that I want to get removed. If I was going to just have those teeth completely pulled out, which sound bad but there in the back so I really don't care at this point. Would it be necessary to take all the precautions? Or would that pretty much be the same as any other way. Just curious because I really want them out of my mouth.

Thanks

Krista

Krista,

I would think there would be less risk involved since I'm assuming there is no drilling of the amalgam going on??

I really dont know the answer to that question but I think the best way to find out for sure would be to call a few different biological dentists to get their opinion. The reason I say to ask "a few" is because I always think its best to get more than one opinion...that way you can feel very comfortable that you're doing the right thing.

Also, if you are very ill it might be too much stress on your system to have a few teeth extracted all at once. I dont know that I would put that much stress on my system if I'm already not doing well. Thats another thing you could mention to the dentists if you're asking about tooth extractions. I dont know what the state of your health is right now but whatever you do...you want to do in a way that doesnt place a big burden on your immune system...you dont want to do anything which could cause your problems to get worse.

So yeah....if there's not alot of risk involved and you're not feeling too bad you might handle it ok...otherwise it might be better to do it one at a time. I'm not really sure though....these are just things popping into my head. I think we should always consider the state of our health before making decisions like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

holiday16 Enthusiast

There's lots of discussion about mercury and fillings, but does anyone have information about other sources of mercury? I have never had the mercury fillings and my provoked urine test came back highest for mercury. I know fish oil supplements can be a source, but the ones I take are triple distilled to remove impurities and tested. I almost never eat fish either.

My best guess is growing up with well water and it being contaminated from pesticides. I think mercury was banned from pesticides a long time ago, but the half life is so long it's still in the ground and of course then the water. We have well water now, but we're only two miles away from where I grew up so the same issue exists. We have a reverse osmosis purifier that removes it though. Growing up we didn't get one until I was about 13 and we drank the water until then. That's also the age that my feet and ankles began swelling.

The good thing is I talked with the NP to schedule an appt. for Thurs. to set up treatment and I asked her about when I took the provoking agent while I took it I started feeling really good and I asked if that was possible. She said yes and that was a really, really good sign, While I was taking it I had so much more energy and felt closer to normal than I have in a long time so I'm anxious to start treating this and see what happens.

Paulette

Rachel--24 Collaborator
There's lots of discussion about mercury and fillings, but does anyone have information about other sources of mercury? I have never had the mercury fillings and my provoked urine test came back highest for mercury. I know fish oil supplements can be a source, but the ones I take are triple distilled to remove impurities and tested. I almost never eat fish either.

If your mom had fillings you could have had high exposure in utero...also from breast milk (if mom had fillings). There's a long list of household items which contain mercury. I can try to find that and post it later.

Also, environmental mercury....air, land and water...we're all exposed it. My Dr.'s say that everyone on this planet will have mercury in their body...its inevitable. How much it affects you depends on many different factors....including genetics.

You may not be able to excrete it as well as some others will...if thats the case you will have a higher burden than someone who might have a stronger ability to detoxify.

• 4 years later...
anonymous-123 Rookie

if you are feeling run down, is it not a good idea to get a dental cleaning and to get rid of a mercury filled cavity? i've been putting it off for the past two years b/c i'm worried it will run me down even more. not sure what to do.

Archived