This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Baking Gluten And Rice Free?

Green12

Green12 Enthusiast

I am looking for recipes that are gluten, rice, soy, and millet free. Is this even possible to bake this way? Everything I see has rice flour in it.

I'm not exactly wanting to use bean flours either, so I know that really cuts down most options.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

eww I don't like how the bean flours taste, my guess would be tapioca starch or potato flour? maybe quinoa flour? can you have oats?

jerseyangel Proficient

Julie,

What about almond flour? I can't remember if you can do almonds....I've been thinking of dabbling with this now that I'm off grains.

Green12 Enthusiast

Thanks Collette, I guess I am going to have to experiment with some different things. I can do potato, corn, amaranth, quinoa, and buckwheat.

Patti, nope almonds are now out for me too :( . I can do pretty much every other nut other than almonds and cashews, but thanks so much for the suggestion.

I just remembered there was a thread on baking with coconut flour, I'll have to go searching for that. Coconut is on my safe list (I wish it was on yours :()

lorka150 Collaborator

I don't use rice flour (I'm allergic to rice), and it isn't nutritious anyway. I use quinoa, amaranth, sorghum primarily. Buckwheat is also a good choice but I am also allergic to that.

Green12 Enthusiast
I don't use rice flour (I'm allergic to rice), and it isn't nutritious anyway. I use quinoa, amaranth, sorghum primarily. Buckwheat is also a good choice but I am also allergic to that.

Hi lorka, so when you bake do you use these other flours one for one in place of rice and other gluten-free flours in recipes?

purple Community Regular

I have the book from Carol Fenster: Gluten Free Quick and Easy. Her gluten-free flour mix is 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour, 1 1/2 cups potato starch, 1 cup tapioca flour. I really like sorghum and her recipes I have tried so far are my favorites. Waffles, scones and double chocolate cookies. I am slowly changing from rice flour mix to sorghum mix b/c its healthier and not grainy. Also I am tossing in 1/4 cup of coconut flour for some of the gluten-free flour mix b/c its so healthy (I read somewhere to do that).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

One more thing. Go to the thread on May 24th called "In place of eggs". There are some tips about egg replacement. It could be on page 8 or 9.

jerseyangel Proficient

Julie--

I was just looking at my copy of "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster, and she says that sorghum flour can comprise up to 50% of a flour blend. Maybe then you could play around with adding some cornstarch, potato starch and/or another flour you are ok with like buckwheat or the coconut. :)

RiceGuy Collaborator

Many of the "experts" believe that millet and sorghum are related, so it would be interesting if you are able to have sorghum. It really does work well for breads too, so I hope you can.

I think ivory teff flour works well for breads, though I haven't tried it as the main ingredient. Have you tried that one?

Anyway, here's a really nice selection of flours in which you might find some you haven't yet explored: Open Original Shared Link

Green12 Enthusiast

Great tips purple and Patti, thank you :)

I can't do sorghum but I can do tapioca, I just looked and it's on my safe list :D

Sounds like I can experiment with a potato starch and tapioca blend and then add in another flour from my safe grains.

You guys are the best!

Green12 Enthusiast
Many of the "experts" believe that millet and sorghum are related, so it would be interesting if you are able to have sorghum. It really does work well for breads too, so I hope you can.

I think ivory teff flour works well for breads, though I haven't tried it as the main ingredient. Have you tried that one?

Anyway, here's a really nice selection of flours in which you might find some you haven't yet explored: Open Original Shared Link

Hi RiceGuy, thanks for the info.

I had an allergy test done so I can only eat from a list of my safe foods for several months. I can start experimenting down the line with different things, so I'll keep this link in mind when that time comes.

sickchick Community Regular

Good luck Julie! B)

jerseyangel Proficient
Many of the "experts" believe that millet and sorghum are related, so it would be interesting if you are able to have sorghum.

That's interesting, Rice Guy--I didn't know they were related. Are they actually grains? I don't usually do well with grains, but I never seemed to have problems with the sorghum in the Enjoy Life products....I've never tried millet.

Sounds like I can experiment with a potato starch and tapioca blend and then add in another flour from my safe grains.

Sounds like a good plan! I'll be interested to hear what you come up with. :) I think the key is to have a good mixture of at least 3 different flours/starches to avoid grittiness.

purple Community Regular
One more thing. Go to the thread on May 24th called "In place of eggs". There are some tips about egg replacement. It could be on page 8 or 9.

oops! sorry-wrong thread! supposed to be for the celiac that can't have eggs.

Archived