This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sardines/shrimp/crawfish : Are They Really Ever Gluten Free?

Woolygimp

Woolygimp Contributor

If I'm not mistaken most fish farms use fish feed with a mix that can contain wheat derivatives, the problem is that when you eat a simple seafood you're often eating the digestive track of that organism.

Unlike eating a fillet of fish, when you consume a whole sardine, shrimp, or crawfish you're eating more than just it's meat whether you intend to or not.

Technically, isn't it a possibility for some non-digested gluten to remain in the digestive organs of these foods? Say the stomach of a sardine, or for those of you who are familiar with crawfish/shrimp: the black sand vein which AFAIK is their intestines. I'm absolutely certain crawfish farms down here use wheat to feed the crawfish, and my family is in the crawfish boiling business. I LOVE seafood but I'm not sure what to think at this point, can anyone who routinely eats this stuff share whether or not they think these foods are safe to eat?

When does gluten stop being gluten after something else ingests it?

Just to point out, this has absolutely nothing to do with fish in general as I'm sure fish meat in itself is all safe to eat. I'm more or less talking about things like sardines, in which you eat the entire fish (minus the head).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Happynwgal2

Interesting question - I have never thought of this. I love sardines, and eat them occasionally, and they do not make me sick - I am very sensitive to gluten, and usually have some kind of reaction just minutes after eating something with gluten in it.

It will be interesting to see what others on here will answer...

If I'm not mistaken most fish farms use fish feed with a mix that can contain wheat derivatives, the problem is that when you eat a simple seafood you're often eating the digestive track of that organism.

Unlike eating a fillet of fish, when you consume a whole sardine, shrimp, or crawfish you're eating more than just it's meat whether you intend to or not.

Technically, isn't it a possibility for some non-digested gluten to remain in the digestive organs of these foods? Say the stomach of a sardine, or for those of you who are familiar with crawfish/shrimp: the black sand vein which AFAIK is their intestines. I'm absolutely certain crawfish farms down here use wheat to feed the crawfish, and my family is in the crawfish boiling business. I LOVE seafood but I'm not sure what to think at this point, can anyone who routinely eats this stuff share whether or not they think these foods are safe to eat?

Just to point out, this has absolutely nothing to do with fish in general as I'm sure fish meat in itself is all safe to eat. I'm more or less talking about things like sardines, in which you eat the entire fish (minus the head).

ShayFL Enthusiast

Make sure you buy "wild caught". Farm raised fish are not very healthy anyway.

larry mac Enthusiast

wg,

That's a pretty good question. Since you're the one that thought of it, why don't you eat some and let us know what happens?

I always de-vein my shrimp. Also, I've long thought that the farm raised shrimp are basically tasteless compared to "real" shrimp.

best regards, lm

B)

pele Rookie

Hmmm

Last week I got glutened for the first time in a while. I never eat out and was eating the same old fruits/vegs/honey/chicken/eggs/nuts EXCEPT for a tin of herring that the company called gluten-free. I have never eaten this brand of fish before and cannot imagine where else the gluten could have come from. I wrote to the company (which can remain nameless for now) and received what I perceived as a very insulting reply stating that even a 7 year old could understand their labels.

So, thank you Wooly, for perhaps pointing me in the right direction here.

In the meantime. I have had zero problems with Chicken of the Sea smoked sardines, so I'll stick with them.

redgf Rookie

I eat shrimp from my local publix supermarket on a bimonthly basis, and have never been sick from them. I am really really super sensitive to gluten, I actually get sick within a few minutes of eating the stuff. I do devein my shrimp... I also eat tilapia, shark, halibut and haddock on a regular basis and none have made me sick. I do eat canned tuna but no other canned fish. I hope this helps you out!

Woolygimp Contributor
I eat shrimp from my local publix supermarket on a bimonthly basis, and have never been sick from them. I am really really super sensitive to gluten, I actually get sick within a few minutes of eating the stuff. I do devein my shrimp... I also eat tilapia, shark, halibut and haddock on a regular basis and none have made me sick. I do eat canned tuna but no other canned fish. I hope this helps you out!

Shrimp is always going to be gluten free because they are almost never farm raised.

I'm really curious about crawfish, because they are exclusively farm-raised and they ARE fed wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 9 years later...
keezyfresh Apprentice
On 24/06/2008 at 3:42 AM, Woolygimp said:

I avoid farm-raised shrimp for this reason. But sardines are NEVER farm-raised, as far as I know, they are always wild-caught. So they should be definitely be safe, assuming there is no cross-contamination after they have been caught. They are actually the primary animal protein in my diet, and I am super-sensitive. They're also extremely nutritious, sustainable, and low in mercury.

kareng Grand Master
4 minutes ago, keezyfresh said:

I avoid farm-raised shrimp for this reason. But sardines are NEVER farm-raised, as far as I know, they are always wild-caught. So they should be definitely be safe, assuming there is no cross-contamination after they have been caught. They are actually the primary animal protein in my diet, and I am super-sensitive. They're also extremely nutritious, sustainable, and low in mercury.

just an FYI - this thread is from 2008 - they might not see this or respond

keezyfresh Apprentice
13 minutes ago, kareng said:

just an FYI - this thread is from 2008 - they might not see this or respond

I found this thread because i googled "canned fish super sensitive celiacs", in an attempt to find information on particularly reliable/safe brands. I just wanted to post my opinion on here in case anyone else came across it in the same way, so that they would not be discouraged from eating sardines. 

Maybe i should post in another thread or start a new one about this, but the reason I'm looking for safe brands of canned fish is because the brand I used to use and consider quite safe, crown prince, turns out to be unacceptable by my standards. It took many, many emails to them to finally get a clear answer to what i was asking, and i was actually treated quite rudely in the process. It turns out that they process/package their products in facilities where there are "co-packers" who may or may not be processing gluten products. I replaced their products in my diet with a certified gluten-free brand which i actually find inferior otherwise in quality, season, and i've had a perceived improvement in my lingering GI symptoms. 

Do you know of any canned seafood brands that use a dedicated facility, kareng? (I'll make a separate post for this if that's what you'd recommend)

• 3 months later...
coast5 Newbie

Kay even wild caught are eating human provided food: the bait in the traps. I was just out pulling prawn traps with my folks and I almost panicked seeing what the bait looks like. Looks like dog food. Still waiting to hear back from my folks what the ingredients are-they think it's just fish and oils. But the bait was all in their stomachs. Will report, but I'm sure not all bait is created equally. Anyone know the prevalence of prawn/crab/shrimp bait containing gluten filler? I got really sick last night after eating their prawns, but it mighta been the dairy I had that bothered me.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Yeah heard about this years ago, people were talking about the meal they feed farm crawfish containing wheat and the way their digestive tracts worked would leave gluten in their gut...that black line running down the backside your eat. and sucking on them etc. Heard farm shrimp where less likely but equally as bad. I honestly do not know, and I think it was a scare tactic. I would love to take some of the meat straight out of boiled ones fresh and see a study of them being gluten tested. Perhaps testing the water of fresh boiled ones to see if it releases gluten  from their insides when cooking if they consumed it as diet.  I do not think anyone has ever done this kind of study. I honestly have not had any in years. I stick to wild caught lump crab maybe once every other month and some wild caught salmon, I do sometimes have swai once every few months. I do not digest meats that well and only eat them in moderation....I have not had a red meat and swallowed in at least 6 months (chef I cook it, set some aside try it and spit to make sure it is right).  Tempted

Archived