This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Causes Miscarriages?

kprince

kprince Apprentice

I am desperately trying to hold onto anything to calm me down ever since I learn from you all the link between miscarriage and celiacs. Does anyone know why? Is it from the malnutrition or the antibodies? The same day I found out I was pregnant, I got the blood test and just found I have celiacs. I am living gluten-free now and am 6 weeks preg. Because I am following a gluten-free diet, are my chances of miscarrying less? Also, is the chance of miscarrying throughout the whole pregnancy or just the first trimester.

Sorry, I just really want to enjoy this moment that my husband and I have been trying for so long and I can't seem to calm down-

Thank you all in advance. You all have been so kind and I wish I could thak you all personally!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Please enjoy the moment and try not to worry. While many of us will have trouble concieving and there is a bit of a higher rate of misscarriage lots of us do have full term healthy babies even when we were undiagnosed and poisoning ourselves every day. There are a lot of different reasons for miscarriage and I don't think they really know why we sometimes have trouble with concieving and carrying. Remain gluten free, that will help both you and the baby and enjoy your pregnacy.

ShayFL Enthusiast

The body has an innate ability to know when a pregnancy is not viable. It could be for a number of reasons. Including deficiencies, overwhelming stress, immune dysfunction, etc.

You are doing the best you can. Eating healthy. You are going to find out if you have deficiencies and correct them.

Now....please find a way to calm and relax yourself. Yoga would be an excellent choice. Find a group for pregnant women that deals with exercise. You need positive energy in your life right now.

Ridgewalker Contributor

Nobody knows, for sure, precisely why women with Celiac have a higher chance of miscarriage. Most likely it's not just one thing. Malabsorption of nutrients seems to be the leading theory.

I'm sure you're taking prenatal vitamins, which is good. Every day that you are gluten-free, your body is healing and functioning better.

I read one of your other posts about your doctor not seeming to take your Celiac seriously. You may want to consider finding another doctor-- is it possible that your gastroenterologist could recommend an OB that is more familiar with Celiac? Or maybe the GI office could communicate with your OB, and they could have a dialogue since your Celiac only began being treated at the beginning of your pregnancy.

One of the biggest things I want to tell you though, is to ENJOY your pregnancy! I know you're scared right now, but... being pregnant can be the most amazing thing in the world. Pay attention to what's happening, enjoy it. Read books about it, watch Discovery Channel shows about it... there are tons of birth stories on the internet.

Try not to concentrate on worst case scenarios. I know that's hard. You can always come here, through the whole pregnancy- vent, worry, share milestones with us! You may run into issues, but a LOT of things are very manageable. Example--

We're pretty sure I've had Celiac since I was a kid, but I've only been gluten-free for less than a year now. So through both of my pregnancies, I had untreated Celiac and never knew it. I've had two pregnancies, and both carried nearly to term. My first was born 10 days early, and the second was born less than a week early. Both were good, healthy birth weights and ready to be born. My oldest had issues with jaundice, and was lactose intolerant as a baby- both conditions were treated, managed, and he was a very happy baby.

The first, I had gestational diabetes (as likely due to gaining too much weight as from the Celiac,) and the second I was anemic. The anemia, I have had trouble with ever since that pregnancy, and was almost certainly due to the undiagnosed Celiac.

All of these complications are things that are not uncommon for ANYONE. They seem to be more common when Celiac is in the picture, but they are already things doctors keep an eye out for. Keep that in mind.

I wish I could give you a comforting hug in person, but for now this will have to do-- (((HUGS!!!))) You're not alone.

jerseyangel Proficient

You poor thing...please take a deep breath and try to relax. I think at this point, it's the best thing you can do for yourself--just enjoy this time and try not to get ahead of yourself. :) I just don't want you to worry yourself sick ;)

I had two children while having undiagnosed Celiac--it took almost 5 years to get pregnant the first time! Both pregnancies were pretty uneventful, save for morning sickness.

Switch your focus from what could go wrong and why to making sure you are nourishing yourself, drinking enough good water, taking your gluten-free prenatal vitamins, getting some fresh air and sharing this special time with your husband. :D

kprince Apprentice

I can not thank you all enough for all your kind words. I am speechless for the love and compassion that I feel from each and eveyone of you. Please know that you put a big smile on my face and I am sending you all the biggest hugs. Thank you again.

BTW, I just got my test result numbers faxed to me. I am going to post them on a different section, but I thought I should have my mommies take a look first and see what they mean. I am on my way to the hospital after this to get my blood counts taken:

Anti-Gliadin IgG ELISA (AGA IgG) 52.7 U/ml reference range <10.0U/ml

Anti-Gliadin IgG ELISA (AGA IgA) 13.5 U/ml reference range <5.0U/ml

Anti-Human Tissue Transglutaminase IgA ELISA (TTG IgA) >100.0 U/ml reference range <4.0 U/ml

Anti-Endomysial IgA (EMA IgA) positive reference range negative

Total Serum IgA by Nephelometry (TOTAL IgA) 200 mg/dl Reference range > 13 years to adult 44-441 mg/dl

I know this means that I have celiacs, but do these numbers tell you anything else. Does it show the degree of damage. Any info would be great

happygirl Collaborator

It means you definitely have Celiac and you are lucky to get diagnosed :). Hard to say about the level of damage ... there is some literature that some of the antibodies may be predictive of what your villi in your intestines look like. Be thankful you didn't have to struggle for diagnosis and you can move on to eating healthy and taking care of you and your little one!

Good luck---hang in there!

If you need help with ingredients, cooking, recipes, etc----Just let us know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

home-based-mom Contributor

Buy a copy of Lennart Nillson's "A Child Is Born" and follow along as your growing baby develops. It should be available in any book store or probably cheaper from Amazon or eBay.

kprince Apprentice
It means you definitely have Celiac and you are lucky to get diagnosed :). Hard to say about the level of damage ... there is some literature that some of the antibodies may be predictive of what your villi in your intestines look like. Be thankful you didn't have to struggle for diagnosis and you can move on to eating healthy and taking care of you and your little one!

Good luck---hang in there!

If you need help with ingredients, cooking, recipes, etc----Just let us know.

Thanks for the input. Do you happen to know the literature. I am just curious and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks again for your quick response

Ronnie701 Newbie

Hi :)

I too am pregnant - 10 wks now!

I misscarried earlier this year at about 7 weeks but I don't know why. I haven't been diagnoised yet but because I am anxious too about this my GP is sending me for blood test (watch this space!)

My advice is Bach's Rescue Remedy

I've used it for about 4 years now - initially for my ADHD daugter, then for me, then my mother (I didn't tell her what it was and she calmed right down :)

I discribe it as a 'hug in a bottle'

It has this ablity to just dispelle all of my worry

The main version is grape alcohol based - but they have introduced a night version too which is gloucose based

I don't know how it works - it just does

I also use if for my greyhound who can get very skittish - works a treat on her too :)

Hope this helps

Michi8 Contributor

First off, many women with celiac disease have had healthy pregnancies and births before diagnosis...pregnancy, in fact, can be a trigger for celiac disease to become active. The reasons for miscarriage could be any number of things. However, the fact that you have been diagnosed means that you now have the info for changing your diet and ensuring that you are going to have a healthy pregnancy...thus eliminating any risk celiac disease would contribute towards possible miscarriage.

The best you can do is try to relax and enjoy this pregnancy. I would suggest, too, that if anxiety is getting the best of you, consider talking to a dr or natropath about homeopathic treatment. Finally, consider taking a course like Birthing From Within (or at least reading the book!) to help reframe your fears and focus on having a healthy, wonderful experience. :)

Michelle

I am desperately trying to hold onto anything to calm me down ever since I learn from you all the link between miscarriage and celiacs. Does anyone know why? Is it from the malnutrition or the antibodies? The same day I found out I was pregnant, I got the blood test and just found I have celiacs. I am living gluten-free now and am 6 weeks preg. Because I am following a gluten-free diet, are my chances of miscarrying less? Also, is the chance of miscarrying throughout the whole pregnancy or just the first trimester.

Sorry, I just really want to enjoy this moment that my husband and I have been trying for so long and I can't seem to calm down-

Thank you all in advance. You all have been so kind and I wish I could thak you all personally!!!

westsidegirl Newbie

When I was diagnosed with celiac (about 10 years ago), my nutritionist told me also to avoid milk products for about 2-4 weeks, to help the intestine heal (diary products are hard to digest). I don't know if diary bothers so, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

Also, try to relax as much as you can. you are doing the best you can now, and there's no point in worrying about things that you have done in the past and have no control of.

I have another (related) question about nutrition. I am gluten free for a long time, and recently got pregnant (after long time trying), and all of a sudden got scared that certain foods (like cheese, yogurts, etc) are contaminated with gluten.

are there any risks to the fetus if by mistake I eat any contaminated food?

• 2 weeks later...
Beth41777 Rookie

I can't say for sure if there is risk to the baby when accidentally ingesting gluten but I eat Yoplait yogurt everyday. (It is labeled gluten free.) I am not pregnant yet, but hope to start trying within the next year for the first time in my life. I am so thankful that I got diagnosed (1 year ago) prior to trying to get pregnant, so hopefully I will have my body fully healed when we do start trying. Beth

• 6 months later...
Tammy1 Newbie

Hi There Im new to Celiacs and only just diagnosed last week.

Ive had 4 miscarriages now which is what finally led to the discovery of Celiacs.

Im thinking it makes more sense now to wait say 12 months and give Villi time to heal before trying again as Im now paranoid of loosing another one or having an under nourished baby.

Anyone got any thoughts or any idea of how long it take for Villi to heal?

ggrrrrrr:

teemaree Apprentice

I also had four miscarriages, and had much difficulty in falling pregnant, it took 4 years of trying and heartbreak when I would loose the baby. I wasn't diagnosed with celiac then.

I lost a set of twins, at 13 weeks, and I was devestated, and ready to give up on trying ever again.

But 6 months later I did try again and did everything in my power to make that baby stick...

I wouldn't travel far in the car, I rested and wouldn't lift anything, I ensured I did nothing that would help a miscarriage along...

I made sure I didn't have sex . I was lucky that my husband wanted a child as badly as I did..

I also had blood tests every two weeks, to ensure the hormones were at the right level....

I went through such wicked morning sickness, but the doctor told me this was a good thing, this ment that the hormone levels were high.

I do remember when I fell pregnant, I was like you... I was so upset, so scared, I couldn't go through another miscarriage. I prayed and tried my very best to stay confident, and positive and was determin to do all I could. Even without knowing I had celiac , I did change my food intake, to eating lots of salads and vegetables and chicken . And iron enriched foods .I was unable to face red meat due to the morning sickness.

And after a long long 9 months, I finaly got my baby... and what a baby he was..!!!!

perfect in every way... and now he is 21 years old, and has never caused me one moments grief,

smart, inteligent, kind, witty, and person loved by all that comes into contact with him.

When going through those miscarriages, I couldn't understand why my God given right as a women was being taken from me. I saw so many people that didn't derserve children, or had no problems with popping out kids, and then they wouldn't provide for them. I had so much love to give, and it didn't seem right or fair.

I do understand what a scary prospect being pregnant is, But the best advice I was given by the doctor, when I burst into tears and told him, I can't deal with another miscarriage, please help me...

The advice he gave me, was STAY POSITIVE, the more you frett and worry the more your body will react to that...rest and enjoy. And that is what I tried my best to do...

and in the end was blessed with a true angel!

once I got my angel... I was more than overjoyed to have my own child in my arms, and never ever tried again. Because I never ever thought I would even have him! and was so thankful, I didn't ever want to temp fate again.

Archived