This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gaining Weight Help

HappyBunnyGirl1

HappyBunnyGirl1 Newbie

I am 21 but I thought it would be better if I posted this here. I have been on gluten-free diet for exactly 6 months now, and all my symptoms have improved, except gaining weight. I am 5'7 and only weigh 99lbs, my weight has not changed since high school, although (thank god!) I don't look as skinny as I used to because I've been doing yoga. I eat 5 meals a day plus snacks in between, I take vitimins and those protein shakes, and I have not put any weight on at all, I am always just sitting at 100lbs. I've had heaps of blood tests and other tests and they always come back normal and my periods are totally normal and everything else about me is normal, so the doctors explination is that I should see weight gain within the next few years, he said something about how my intestine was healing and when it did I would start to gain, but its been 6 months now on gluten-free diet and there is no change in weight!!!!!!. Well my mom was this weight until she hit 23, so maybe it runs in my family?, or maybe there is still something wrong with my body that the doctors are not picking up!?. I also thought that maybe since I read that celiacs disease stops you from reaching the height and weight you were really meant to be, maybe I just wont grow anymore :( I am really frustrated and I don't know what else I can eat to fatten up, I really don't want to weigh this much in 5 years!, I look about 17 as it is! :o anyone had any experince with this? thanks!.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Some people have a fast metabolism and in order to gain weight you have to eat alot more then usual. If you have 2000 calories and are staying the same weight try having 2500 calories. I lost weight before I was diagnosed and when I went gluten-free I gained most of it back...but it did take a little bit of time. Also make sure nothing is sneaking in. Some lipsticks have wheat starch, watch out for shampoos and lotions as well. Try Ensure Plus. I have been drinking that to help gain more weight and for me it works. It's 350 calories for 1 cup of it. The best flavor is Butter Pecan over ice...with it warm it tastes bad. I have a fast metabolism to and it took me about 7-8 months after going gluten-free to finally get my weight back. Hope this helps :D

HappyBunnyGirl1 Newbie

thanks alot for your reply!. I do eat that many calories a day, I eat like a horse, plus I love whats available as gluten-free junk food :huh: Its possible I do have a fast metabolism, I try not to exercise except for yoga, because I don't want to work any calories off. As far as I know all the makeup I use does not contain gluten and I am not taking any medicine with gluten in it, I really am very gluten free :D So I am really at an ends trying to figure out why I can't gain, Maybe its going to take a few more months and I just have to be patient :rolleyes::) One more question though, is Rye bread gluten free? or Rye is made out of wheat? I'm confused, my mom wants me to try Rye bread because she thinks its gluten free, the bread I currently eat says GLUTEN FREE on it, Rye bread does not, so I am kinda thinking I should not eat it, Thanks.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Rye is a very big no no. Not only can we not have wheat but we can't have rye, barley, or oats.

If you have a fast metabolism even if you eat alot if you aren't gaining means you should eat more or there could be something maybe holding you back. Give it some more time. It took me a while to get my weight back. I gained about 15 pounds back and I have a very fast metabolism to. Ensure Plus really helped me and I still drink it to keep weight on and possibly gain some more so you might want to look into that. Also peanut butter is high in calories as well. If you are following the diet and eating alot you should be on your way :D For some people it takes longer than others it varies from person to person. If you need any more help you can post or PM me and I can help ya if I can :D good luck

HappyBunnyGirl1 Newbie

thanks alot for your help!. I am going to have a look for Ensure Plus tomorrow :) I forgot to mention I have been drinking those powder protien drinks for about a month now *pukes* they taste like crap but are supposed to really help you gain, because body builders use them and in a matter of weeks gain weight....hopefully I can start to see weight gain really soon, if I don't gain anything within 2 months or so, then I guess I have bigger problems then I thought :huh:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

If you are eating alot and doing what you need to do don't sweat it. I was so uptight and wanted to gain weight so bad and it just delayed me from gaining weight. Once I wasn't so fixed on gaining it it gradually started to come. Sounds to me like you are doing a good job and are on the right track just keep it up and eat alot of fatty and high calorie foods and you'll see a change eventually :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

Also, sticking with high caloric density foods can help you put on weight. Nuts, dried fruit, and avocados in particular are calorie dense as well and nutrient dense.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HappyBunnyGirl1 Newbie

Thanks guys, I will try nuts, unfortunatly I can't have dried fruits because I am allergic to the sulfer in them, I go into a coughing fit :( I got some Ensure Plus this morning, tastes better then those protien drinks thats for sure :D Will let you know how its going, thanks again :)

• 4 weeks later...
irishchick04 Newbie

Man, I wish I needed to gain :D. It's funny I never realized how hard it is for some people to gain weight. I've always been one of the "fat" celiacs, but actually since going gluten-free, I have lost about 18 pounds in 2 months.

Anyways, as weird as it sounds, have you tried letting yourself eat like 2 gluten-free candy bars a day? Or something like that? I know that always will put weight on me.

Good luck.

If I could I would totally give you some of my fat :)

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Caryn

• 2 weeks later...
Vyse Newbie
Man, I wish I needed to gain . It's funny I never realized how hard it is for some people to gain weight. I've always been one of the "fat" celiacs, but actually since going gluten-free, I have lost about 18 pounds in 2 months.

:rolleyes: I know how you feel. i cant even imagine being 100 pounds (well considering im a guy and over 6' tall) but still.

Anyways, yeah, i'd say go with nuts and meats, they work as a high density but heathly calories. Keep it balanced with fruits and veggies, and dont over-eat. The quick poundage is nice in the short, but what is really nice is the weight put on by good food and exercise. At least i think so :P

celiac3270 Collaborator

HappyBunnyGirl1, Have you been avoiding ALL gluten or just wheat gluten? If you haven't also been checking for rye, barley, oats and all the things they're in such as spelt, triticum, and malt, it would make sense that you wouldn't be gaining weight. Once your intestines heal, you should start to gain--well, some don't, but as a general rule--have you also been checking into questionable ingredients, such as modified food starch, and natural and artificial flavorings? Make sure you're 100% gluten-free in terms of food, medicine (such as aspirin), and the little things that could set you back (such as toothpaste).

---------

I might as well post my triumph here :)--since the surg. on the 14th, I've gained nearly 8 pounds (about 2 pounds a week)! This is the highest I've ever been, so I'm really happy. Also, I want to apologize in advance for boasting of my weight gain in a thread about difficulty with it. It's just that I'm not going to go into school and tell everyone, "I gained 2.4 pounds last week!" This is where I share this stuff :)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

celiac3270- don't apologize it's a good thing that you have been gaining weight. Even though months ago I got back to a normal weight I am still gaining weight too which is fine with me :D I could use a few more. Always share stuff here its the place to do it.

• 2 months later...
HappyBunnyGirl1 Newbie

hi guys, I'm back :D well I actually forgot my password and then was to busy to get online etc, you know how it goes ;) Sorry for taking this long to get back to everyones questions, and thanks for all your answers. Well I have NOT gained 1lb since the last time I posted, and I am not loosing any weight either thank god. I have made sure to cut out ALL gluten from my diet, I am so very very carefull with not eating gluten because of the stomach aches I get from it, so I know when I have had gluten, cause I'll feel it :( Well I am thinking maybe I have a thyroid problem or something, because it just don't make sense why I am not gaining ANY weight and stay at that weight. I havent been to the doctors for a few months :rolleyes: I never get sick, never get colds, I've a good immune system, so my doctors appointments are dramatically reduced because of that. But I'll get around to that doctors appointment this month. One thing I have gained is a bit of muscle from yoga, not sure if I mentioned that already, but that helps alot, although it don't pack on the pounds :( very confusing :unsure:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

If you have a fast metabolism that can also make it hard to gain weight...people with fast metabolisms have to have alot more calories in order to gain and maintain weight.

Also, thyroid disorders can cause problems with gaining weight too.

The good thing is that you haven't lost any more weight which is great!! Keep working on it and I'm sure it will come. :D

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I also had trouble gaining my weight back since I was underweight when I was diagnosed. I am now just about 2-4 pounds above being underweight, however, I seem to be stable so I am happy :)

Around my diagnosis and for quite a while after, I drank a ton of boost (all flavors are gluten free, except Chocolate Malt) and I still drink them once and a while. You can get boost extra calories and extra protein which should help with weight gain. I know that those energy drinks say that they replace a meal, but when I drink boost, I usually drink it with a meal, this should also help with weight gain. Also, here are some foods/condiments that should help you gain weight: eggs, meat, nuts, butter/margerine, Mayonnaise/Miracle Whip, Peanut Butter, Cheese (if you can have dairy), Honey

Here are some meal ideas:

Breakfast:

- bacon, eggs, gluten-free toast with margerine, and a piece of fruit

Lunch:

- Tuna/Chicken salad sandwiches - 1 cup celery, 2 tablespoons miracle whip (Kraft will not hide gluten), 1 can tuna (or chicken equivalent), gluten-free bread (toasted is better), dash of pepper, a few slices of cheddar cheese

- Boost/Ensure -Whatever you prefer

Supper:

- Steak (I use gluten-free Kraft BBQ sauces), potatoes, and other veggies, if you like broccoli try melting cheddar cheese on top.

- Salad (I use gluten-free Kraft dressings)

Snacks:

- nuts

- cheddar cheese and red grapes

- rice cakes and peanut butter

- french fries

If you DO decide to try a high calorie/fat diet make sure you consult your doctor and/or nutritionst. Some of these foods are not good for people with heart disease, diabetes, or other medical conditions.

Hope this helps! :D

tarnalberry Community Regular

I missed this a while ago, but trader joe's has a number of unsulfered dried fruits - including mango. (yum!)

HappyBunnyGirl1 Newbie

I seem to have a fast metabolism, but I mean its hard to tell, since it could be all the damage the gluten has done. I think I am going to speak to the doctor about getting on a pure fat diet :D I eat ALOT of junk food and highly fattening foods as it is, but I also eat ALOT of fruit and vegtables and take vitimins and I drink ensure plus as well, so I get more then enough food and vitimins, I should be growing :( I hope one day I'll wake up really huge :D I'll drop by again and let you all know what the doctor says, thanks for your help :)

dancer-girl86 Newbie

Hi, I havent exactly got any advice for you about why you are not gaining weight, but I do dance, and now abit about the excersise part. Yoga tends to bulk up your muscles slightly,but although you have a fast metabolism you should still excersise as normal. If you do other forms of excersise it will probably bulk up your muscles more, like running or something. Maybe you could buy some weights to get abit more muscle? Don't avoid excersise because you are thin! Theres a chance it wont effect your weight!

If your mum was also thin at your age, theres a good chance that your the same, and that you will fill out later on!

Hope I helped you abit! :)

cat

• 1 month later...
PrincessLEah Rookie

Try eating some chocolate bars. I did that for the first little while and that's helped me some. MY favortie are the crunchie and the resses peanut butter cups absolute fav: Eat More Bars! try eating some snickers aswell! they are awesome! (any candy is awesome as long as it taste's good! :D ) try skittles too!

PrincessLEah Rookie

My mom was also very thin-thinner than myself. She filled out just fine. She's fine now. I would just keep doing what you are and as long as you're eating then you should be fine. You seem to be eating quite healthy so I'd say you're doing pretty good.

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Thanks to all of the posters about ways to gain weight - I am 5'9" and 118 lbs- I need to gain at least 7 lbs to get myself to a healthier place -

I'll follow the advice on here!

THANKS!

and....Great to hear that you're getting healthier, celiac3270!

looks like your surgery 'took!'...

Gina

emmirose2008 Rookie

I wish I had that problem. I'm exactly opposite..I NEED to loose weight. :blink: I only lost about 5 lbs before diagnosis, but I was tested early when I started showing symptoms because my mom has celiac disease. My doctors have been on my case for about 3 years now about losing weight. I need to loose about 25 lbs. I dont eat junk food. I eat a very balanced diet and I exercise for about 1.5 hours a day. I don't get it. I hope you reach the weight that you want to! Good Luck! B)

Brian Allee Newbie

There is a product made by NOW Sports, its called Pro Gainer. It contains 660 Calories per serving! It has a blend of high quality proteins (Egg, Whey & Casein)

and is gluten free! You can purchase it from Vitamine Cottage or go to www.nowfoods.com.

Here is the list of ingredients:

Nutrition Info

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Serving Size 3 Rounded Scoops

Servings Per Container 20

Calories 660

Calories with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 865

Calories from Fat 48

Calories from Fat with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 90

Total Fat 5 g 8%

Total Fat with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 10 g 15%*

Saturated Fat 1.3 g 7%*

Saturated Fat with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 4.4 g 22%*

Cholesterol 25 mg 8%

Cholesterol with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 49 mg 16%

Total Carbohydrate 117 g 40%*

Total Carbohydrate with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 141 g 47%*

Dietary Fiber 2.5 g 10%*

Dietary Fiber with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 2.5 g 10%*

Sugars 61 g †

Sugars with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 86 g †

Protein 36 g 72%*

Protein with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 52 g 104%*

Vitamin A (from Retinyl Palmitate) 5,000 IU 100%

Vitamin A (from Retinyl Palmitate) with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 5955 IU 119%

Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 60 mg 100%

Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 60 mg 100%

Vitamin D 0 IU 0%

Vitamin D with 16 oz. of (1%) Low Fat Milk 255 IU 64%

Vitamin E (from D-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate) 30 IU 100%

Vitamin E (from D-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 30 IU 100%

Thiamine (from Thiamine HCI) 1.5 mg 100%

Thiamine (from Thiamine HCI) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 1.6 mg 107%

Riboflavin 1.7 mg 100%

Riboflavin with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 2.5 mg 147%

Niacin (from Niacinamide) 20 mg 100%

Niacin (from Niacinamide) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 20.5 mg 103%

Vitamin B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCI) 2 mg 100%

Vitamin B-6 (from Pyridoxine HCI) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 2.2 mg 109%

Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%

Folic Acid (with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 400 mcg 100%

Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 6 mcg 100%

Vitamin B-12 (as Cyanocobalamin) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 8 mcg 133%

Biotin 300 mcg 100%

Biotin with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 300 mcg 100%

Pantothenic Acid (from Calcium Pantothenate) 10 mg 100%

Pantothenic Acid (from Calcium Pantothenate) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 12 mg 120%

Calcium 365 mg 37%

Calcium with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 890 mg 89%

Iron 0 mg 0%

Iron with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 1.5 mg 8%

Phosphorus 6 mg <1%

Phosphorus with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 440 mg 44%

Iodine (from Kelp) 75 mcg 50%

Iodine (from Kelp) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 75 mcg 50%

Magnesium 7 mg 2%

Magnesium with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 60 mg 15%

Zinc (from AAC**) 7.5 mg 50%

Zinc (from AAC**) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 10 mg 67%

Selenium (from L-Selenomethionine) 35 mg 50%

Selenium (from L-Selenomethionine) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 50 mcg 71%

Copper (from AAC**) 500 mcg 25%

Copper (from AAC**) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 500 mcg 25%

Chromium (from Chromium Polynicotinate) (Chromemate®) 30 mcg 25%

Chromium (from Chromium Polynicotinate) (Chromemate®) with 16 oz. (1%) Low

Fat Milk 30 mcg 25%

Molybdenum (from AAC**) 37.5 mcg 50%

Molybdenum (from AAC**) with 16 oz. (1%) Low Fat Milk 37.5 mcg 50%

* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.

† Daily Value not established.

Details

Serving Size: 3 Rounded Scoops

Suggested Use: Add 3 rounded scoops to blender and mix with 16 fl. oz. of low fat milk or your favorite beverage. Blend on high speed for 30-45 seconds until completely mixed. For a frothy consistency, add 3-6 ice cubes to blender. Take 1-3 times daily after meals or before and/or after workouts. Also consider adding NOW® Flax Seed Oil for enhanced nutritional benefit. Please note the additional calories and nutrients provided by the above ingredients.

Free of: salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, preservatives, or artificial colors/flavors.

Other Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Fructose, Sweet Whey Powder, Whey Protein Concentrate, Natural Flavors, MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides), Egg White Powder, Sodium Caseinate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Isolate , Xanthan Gum, Vitamin and Mineral Blend [Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate, Zinc AAC**, Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide, Molybdenum AAC**, Kelp, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Selenomethionine, Copper AAC**, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine HCI, Thiamine HCI, Riboflavin, Cyancocobalamin and Chromemate® Chromium Polynicotinate], L-Glutamin, Taurine and Enzyme Blend (Bromelain, Papain, Pepsin, Lipase (fungal source) and Lactase).

Warnings: Notice: Use this product as a food supplenment only. Do not use for weight reduction.

Disclaimers: *This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

AAC** Amino Acid Chelate

Archived