This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Taco Bell

toddzgrrl02

toddzgrrl02 Explorer

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I was told Taco Bell has gluten-free items, and that things like tacos were ok... that is what my gluten-free sd gets. But when I was at the store and looked at Taco Bell taco seasoning for meat, it is def not something we can use... so do they use something different at the restaurant? Or is the meat not safe there?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I have not had Taco Bell since before being gluten free.

On their website they have an allergens list as well and an ingredient list. Their season beef shows that it contains gluten.

With how much gluten food items they have at Taco Bell I would not even take the chance of getting the 2 items that they show not having gluten just because of CC issues. I am assuming b/c of food preperation and accidental dropping that meat drops into the rice possibly (assuming not for sure though) just like in the past (before gluten free) when I went to Subway you coule see olives in the pickles container and lettuce in the tomato contianer.

I have not looked into the Taco Bell items you can purchase in the store since gluten free mainly b/c my husband and I tried one packet years ago and did not care for the smell/taste. We just use McCormick Chili Powder, Tomato Sauce and Pepper to season our taco meat at home and Mission corn shells or tortillas.

Good Luck :)

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Taco Bell has the least amount of safe foods than any other fast food places that I know of. Sorry.

Most fast food places have a listings of gluten free foods and their allergen statements on line.

lovegrov Collaborator

People with celiac disease should just forget Taco Bell. They do tell you exactly what's in stuff, but we can eat almost none of it.

richard

toddzgrrl02 Explorer

I am surprised the meat has gluten in it, as my stepdaughter supposedly did research and found that the tacos are safe to eat and has eaten them. In fact, she ate them on her way to our house and hasn't seemed to have any adverse reaction that I am aware of. I kind of wondered though because my husband LOVES the TB meat seasoning packets in the store and said we can't use them because of the gluten. Hmmmm...

PS I have been to their site, which is why I asked... wanted to know if I had missed something.

Dolcenotte Contributor

I dont know how true this is and I forgot where I heard it from but I heard that Taco Bell meat has a lot of filler in it and the filler is supposedly oats, so just from hearing that I stay away and like others said there arent many options for us anyhow.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Here is a complete ingredient list for Taco Bell foods. The vast majority of their menu is off limits. Even their taco shells have oat fiber in them. The seasoned meat is not safe either.

The Taco Bell products in the grocery store are marketed by Open Original Shared Link, which has a good labeling policy. Just read the label on those.

We haven't eaten at Taco Bell since we were diagnosed. My husband always called it Taco Hell anyway. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

I have heard nothing positive about Taco Bell when it comes to accommodating celiacs. It is one fast food restaurant I would recommend a celiac never eat at.

home-based-mom Contributor

Here is an earlier thread about Taco Bell which should turn you off forever. :blink:

Cath724 Apprentice

I used to love Taco Bell-- as a vegetarian, I could get lots of things with beans instead of the beef.

BUT as for gluten-free, it's much more limited-- Taco Bell's Food Allergies and Sensitivies list was last updated 6/08:

Their ingredient list was updated 1/08:

Open Original Shared Link (clearly lists any item containg gluten).

But I've heard grumblings that these companies are "liars," so I plan to just call them up soon and speak to an actual person.

Shelly D. Newbie

Being recently diagnosed and a chronic drive-through-for-something-quick person I just checked all the fast food places around my town (Jack in the Box, McD's, Arbys, KFC, Taco Time, Subway) and was shocked at the total lack of gluten-free options at TB. What was even worse was the gluten in the fries (or potatos) at many places including TB. I had hoped fries would be my safe haven in the event I got stuck at a fast food place with friends. The most depressing for me was the value tacos at Jack in the Box, every bit of the taco has gluten... :(

larry mac Enthusiast

Taco Bell has the least amount of safe foods than any other fast food places that I know of. Sorry.

Most fast food places have a listings of gluten free foods and their allergen statements on line.

Sorry MG, I have to disagree here. They have beans and crunchy tacos. The crunchy tacos have oat gluten, not wheat gluten, big difference. Yes, there is potential cross contamination issues with oats. But still, it's oat gluten, not wheat gluten. There is a huge difference.

Church's, Popeye's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Dominos, other pizza chains are fast food places that have even less choices.

best regards, lm

larry mac Enthusiast
Here is an earlier thread about Taco Bell which should turn you off forever. :blink:

Quite the contrary, didn't turn me off at all. Uninformed nonsense.

best regards, lm

neesee Apprentice

I haven't been to a Taco Bell for well over 20 years. That's how much I trust the place.

neesee

larry mac Enthusiast
Being recently diagnosed and a chronic drive-through-for-something-quick person I just checked all the fast food places around my town (Jack in the Box, McD's, Arbys, KFC, Taco Time, Subway) and was shocked at the total lack of gluten-free options at TB. What was even worse was the gluten in the fries (or potatos) at many places including TB. I had hoped fries would be my safe haven in the event I got stuck at a fast food place with friends. The most depressing for me was the value tacos at Jack in the Box, every bit of the taco has gluten... :(

How is TB more shocking than Arby's, KFC, Subway etc. ? Plus, I've never even noticed fries at TB.

Thank you however, for enlightening me on the wheat in Jack In The Box Taco's. I've eaten them for a long time with no ill effects. I had no idea they had wheat in them. Don't know what " every bit of the taco has gluten... " means, but I should probably give them up.

best regards, lm

toddzgrrl02 Explorer

Thanks for all the replies. Looks to me like based on the list TB provides she can "safely" have tostadas or the beans and cheese. Many of the local TB's near us don't even have tostadas anymore... and as far as we are concerned it is now off limits. I even showed their information to my stepdaughter so she could see for herself. She always got a #8 which is 3 tacos... well, after talking some time to her, she did say sometimes she felt sick afterwards but thought it was just from eating too much. We all prefer homemade tacos to TB anyway.

dbmamaz Explorer

Thats funny, the tostadas were one of my favorites. But hey, check out Chipotles - Open Original Shared Link scroll down and they say exactly what you cant eat if you are avoiding gluten - and its a very short list. You can eat most of what they serve.

tiffjake Enthusiast

I eat at Taco Bell every now and then. I get the tosada or the zesty chicken border bowl with no red strips and no dressing.

This is from their website:

Suggestions for Wheat and Gluten Sensitive Individuals

- Tostada

- Chicken Fiesta Taco Salad (order without the shell and without the Red Strips)

- Chicken Express Taco Salad (order Chicken instead of Beef)

- Zesty Chicken Border Bow

amberleigh Contributor

I was a loyal Taco Bell eater before being dx'd and since then, I've only eaten there twice. I have also heard/read that the taco shells and meat have oats in them. I did eat tacos once after being dx'd and felt gassy/bloaty, but they did not cause me diarrhea like a usual glutening would. And I have eaten the rice before with no ill effects, but that little container of rice is hardly worth going there. I'll eat it in a pinch at a mall fast food court, but won't be making any special trips there. ;)

Anyway, we make tacos at home and I just bought some of the Taco Bell mild sauce (which is made by Kraft as a previous poster mentioned) and it seems to be okay. I believe it has a modified food starch in it, but I am going on the assumption that if it were wheat, it would say wheat. I know what happens when I assume stuff...ha ha ha. I've had it twice though and haven't noticed any symptoms of a glutening.

HTH!

Archived