This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pineapple Intolerance

newceliac

newceliac Enthusiast

Has anyone had a reaction to pineapple? The past 3 times I ate pineapple, I have had very painful abdominal cramping and nausea. It was 2 different pineapples cause I thought about salmonella so that is ruled out. I was blaming it on cross contamination or accidental glutening....which it may be. But I have seen a pattern in the past couple of weeks with pineapple and severe stomach distress. Has anyone else experienced new intolerances to pineapple or fruit? If so, what symptoms do you have?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

I certainly have. I love pineapple but it doesn't love me. Its OK I suppose in small doses? With yogurt. Or to counteract CC poisoning. However even there I often get candida overgrowth plus swelling and flaking skin down under afterwards. I think it is partly because it is so very sweet while also being very sour. I have difficulty with oranges and grapefruit also. Plus mostly have to not overdo fruit at the best of times to avoid candida overgrowth sprouting back... If I eat cherries at all for instance I almost immediately start farting plus get all the rest of the above symptoms too.

Of course its hard to get rid of the cravings. I do wonder if in part this is also allergy related and not just candida overgrowth... since sometimes cooking the fruit seems to help. Right now I have decided to go cold turkey and avoid fruit altogether while doing yet another route of candida overgrowth with various aids like enterically coated acidophilus, pao de arco, enterically coated garlic, barberry and the rest.

Bea

neesee Apprentice

Fresh pineapple makes me feel like my stomach is digesting itself. I'm fine with canned pineapple.

neesee

sickchick Community Regular

I was going to say... it's candida- when I first got sick I couldn't tolerate any citrus fruits WHATSOEVER.

not even in microscopic amounts.

More than likely you have both issues. Try a very powerful probiotic and anti-fungal.

Good luck :)

p.s. yolo gives the best advice...pay close attention ;):)

dbmamaz Explorer

I generally get sores in my mouth from eating fresh pineapple, and it showed up on my allergy test.

YoloGx Rookie
I was going to say... it's candida- when I first got sick I couldn't tolerate any citrus fruits WHATSOEVER.

not even in microscopic amounts.

More than likely you have both issues. Try a very powerful probiotic and anti-fungal.

Good luck :)

p.s. yolo gives the best advice...pay close attention ;):)

Thanks Collette!

By the way, I still can't tolerate citrus; it messes up my kidneys. And yes I have noticed cooked pineapple is easier on me than fresh--though fresh pineapple does seem to help when I need something to counteract the CC reaction and nothing else is available. However it still adds to my candida/fungal problem. Its all a balancing act sometimes...

So here I am wondering if with other people who have celiac and a reaction to pineapple -- how many have this fungal problem and how many have a urinary tract problem as a result of eating it and/or both...

In any case, I have noticed once I have digested pineapple I can later on take some baking soda in water to help balance myself out--similar to if I have eaten sugar. But not right away since I am afraid there would be a fizzing reaction!

Bea

neesee Apprentice
Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Thanks Collette!

By the way, I still can't tolerate citrus; it messes up my kidneys. And yes I have noticed cooked pineapple is easier on me than fresh--though fresh pineapple does seem to help when I need something to counteract the CC reaction and nothing else is available. However it still adds to my candida/fungal problem. Its all a balancing act sometimes...

So here I am wondering if with other people who have celiac and a reaction to pineapple -- how many have this fungal problem and how many have a urinary tract problem as a result of eating it and/or both...

In any case, I have noticed once I have digested pineapple I can later on take some baking soda in water to help balance myself out--similar to if I have eaten sugar. But not right away since I am afraid there would be a fizzing reaction!

Bea

Are you able to tolerate Bromelain, Bea?

lovelove

babysteps Contributor
Fresh pineapple makes me feel like my stomach is digesting itself. I'm fine with canned pineapple.

neesee

I generally get sores in my mouth from eating fresh pineapple, and it showed up on my allergy test.

My tummy is okay with pineapple but my mouth handles only small amounts. Don't get sores per se, but do feel like a layer of skin has been removed from my mouth - esp cheeks and roof of mouth. I have a similar reaction to walnut skins (but not to blanched walnuts, and not to other nut skins) - I assume that's the tannins.

I'm open to wisdom from anyone, so far basically I just go easy on fresh pineapple and walnuts-with-skins!

YoloGx Rookie
Are you able to tolerate Bromelain, Bea?

lovelove

Hi Collette,

Thanks for asking.

Bromelain is just fine for me despite my sensitivity to pineapple. I take it all the time actually. Its quite helpful as a digestive aid and anti-inflammatory and fibronylitic agent (helps break down scar tissue). I also can have lemon juice on my salads despite not being able to handle sweet citrus fruits.

I just made some brownies last night using carob, stevia and the garbanzo/favabean etc. gluten free flour mix and, low and behold, the candida came right back this morning despite there being no sugar or caffeine in my brownies! I will have to give the rest of the brownies to my mother. Its a shame. I should have made it with alternative flours without any beans in it seems. Too much carbohydrate for me right now.

I think the deal with the pineapple is largely part of the same extreme sensitivity to candida overgrowth. I've had it all my life after all since I had pneumonia and was "failing to thrive" as a small infant after first being introduced to glutenous grains. I am certain they gave me a ton of antibiotics. I remember even as a five year old always waking up with gunk in my throat each day--after I was back on glutenous grains again.

This went on forever until I figured out finally that I had celiac 12 years ago (though I wasn't off all trace glutens until last winter). Even so, I still have had the white junk on my tongue and, after years of this, puffing, scabbing and cracking down below creating a kind of elephant skin in my nethers--which goes away when I avoid the fruit etc. Being off all trace glutens doesn't seem to affect this. I am envious of my brother with Downs Syndrome whose scabby, flaky junky skin condition goes away when he is off gluten even though he still eats sugar...

Going off quick acting carbs seems to be the only solution to routing out the candida overgrowth at this stage for me plus of course taking various things to help kill the candida off. I am hopeful that eventually I will occasionally be able to eat fruit and other quick acting carbs etc.. However that time has not yet arrived.

So you see, there is a reason I have had to really figure out remedies just to be here semi OK here on the planet.

Bea

Have you ever noticed any muscle aches after eating pineapple, Sweetie?

I know about the nuisance that Candida certainly is... it is a balancing act B)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I cant tolerate pineapple (as well as a gazillion other foods). In my case it has nothing to do with candida but an inability to process the natural chemicals. This is not uncommon and can be caused by deficiencies of certain enzymes and/or gut dysbiosis.

Pineapples are very high in histamine and can cause reaction in someone who is sensitive. Reactions to food chemicals are dose related....some people can tolerate very little before noticing symptoms while others can tolerate more...and of course some have no problems whatsoever.

The effects are cumulative so histamine can "build-up" from other foods containing high amounts as well. The reactions occur when the person's tolerance level is exceeded.

There are many foods which contain high amounts of histamine naturally and then there are some which are known to trigger histamine release in the body.

These are some foods which are high in histamine...

Apricot

Avocados

Banana

Cherry

Cranberry

Currant

Date

Grapes

Grapefruit

Lemon

Lime

Loganberry

Nectarine

Orange

Papaya (pawpaw)

Peach

Pineapple

Prunes

Plums

Raisins

Raspberries

Strawberries

Tomato

If you can eat some sugar by itself and not have the same symptoms you would get from pineapple (or any other high histamine foods) its probably not candida which is causing the problem....but of course you can definately have both problems.

Also, pineapple is high in salicylates (as are nearly all fruits) which is another food chemical that many are sensitive to.

wow, thanks Rach :)

ericajones80 Newbie

thanks for the list rach

YoloGx Rookie
I cant tolerate pineapple (as well as a gazillion other foods). In my case it has nothing to do with candida but an inability to process the natural chemicals. This is not uncommon and can be caused by deficiencies of certain enzymes and/or gut dysbiosis.

Pineapples are very high in histamine and can cause reaction in someone who is sensitive. Reactions to food chemicals are dose related....some people can tolerate very little before noticing symptoms while others can tolerate more...and of course some have no problems whatsoever.

The effects are cumulative so histamine can "build-up" from other foods containing high amounts as well. The reactions occur when the person's tolerance level is exceeded.

There are many foods which contain high amounts of histamine naturally and then there are some which are known to trigger histamine release in the body.

These are some foods which are high in histamine...

Apricot

Avocados

Rachel,

How did you find out about all these high histimine fruits?

Plus, is there anything a person can do to counteract or prevent the reaction?

I have a feeling I have both the problem with histimine and candida...

Right now am trying out elderberries sweetened with stevia. Am getting mixed results...Maybe its the pancake,

maybe the yogurt or maybe all of it together?

I am afraid soon I have to bit the bullet and avoid grains all together like I used to except for washed cooked quinoa as well as most if not all fruit.

As far as an antifungal goes, are any of them safe? I worry due to a generally overloaded liver and sensitive kidneys.

Bea

Banana

Cherry

Cranberry

Currant

Date

Grapes

Grapefruit

Lemon

Lime

Loganberry

Nectarine

Orange

Papaya (pawpaw)

Peach

Pineapple

Prunes

Plums

Raisins

Raspberries

Strawberries

Tomato

If you can eat some sugar by itself and not have the same symptoms you would get from pineapple (or any other high histamine foods) its probably not candida which is causing the problem....but of course you can definately have both problems.

Also, pineapple is high in salicylates (as are nearly all fruits) which is another food chemical that many are sensitive to.

Archived