This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pamela's Mix

purple

purple Community Regular

Could someone please tell me what the ingredients are in Pamela's gluten-free flour mix. Also what's your favorite premade-store bought flour mix? Our store only sells Bob's and Arrowhead Mills. I have only tried Bob's. I normally make up my own mixes. I see so many recipes for Pamela's. Just wondering...Thanks so much for your reply! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Ingredients are listed on their website and also at Lame Advertisement

Gluten-free bread mix: Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Natural Evaporated Cane Sugar, Chicory Root, White Rice Flour, Millet Flour, Honey and Molasses; Rice Bran, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Packet.

gluten-free pancake and baking mix: Brown rice flour, white rice flour, cultured buttermilk, natural almond meal (may appear as brown flecks), tapioca starch, sweet rice flour, potato starch, grainless and aluminum free baking powder (sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, potato starch), baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum.

purple Community Regular
Ingredients are listed on their website and also at Lame Advertisement

Gluten-free bread mix: Sorghum Flour, Tapioca Flour, Sweet Rice Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Organic Natural Evaporated Cane Sugar, Chicory Root, White Rice Flour, Millet Flour, Honey and Molasses; Rice Bran, Sea Salt, Xanthan Gum, Yeast Packet.

gluten-free pancake and baking mix: Brown rice flour, white rice flour, cultured buttermilk, natural almond meal (may appear as brown flecks), tapioca starch, sweet rice flour, potato starch, grainless and aluminum free baking powder (sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, potato starch), baking soda, sea salt, xanthan gum.

THANKS! :D

whoops, it said Lame Advertisement and I should have written "Amazon dot com"

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If you start using Pamela's, there is a learning curve, especially when it comes to adding fats. I've learned that if I decrease the amt of fat added (oil, butter, etc...) by 2/3, the recipe is usually perfect. It is really forgiving when it comes to baked goods. It does NOT work well for pie crusts though--but I didn't decrease the butter in my recipe, maybe I'll have to retry that, imagine, a semi-healthy piecrust..... :huh:

Anyway, I love it and I use it all the time. I tried to recreate the mix and I came pretty close, but not close enough. My mix is PERFECT for Lorka's flax bread though, so that was worth all the trouble!! ;)

Darn210 Enthusiast

If you find that you do like it, then buy it in bulk from Amazon. Sign up for their "subscribe and save program" and get an extra 15 percent off and free shipping off of each shipment. The program is like putting in a standing order, but you can cancel at anytime, even after the first shipment. It's free shipping even if the order isn't $25 (and they ship immediately, unlike the other free shipping program where they sit on the order for awhile <_< ) It also tells you that it's about to ship so you can delay an order if your not ready for it yet. I would try a small bag purchased locally first though, just to make sure you like it.

I also tried a "Pamela's knock-off" recipe that was pretty good but Amazon's bulk/subscribe&save program ended up being cheaper for me and I don't have to keep so many ingredients in my house.

I'm a HUGE Pamela's fan. Also love their wheat-free/gluten-free bread (and yes, I get that through the same program). I use it for bread, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, and pizza crusts.

celiac-mommy Collaborator
If you find that you do like it, then buy it in bulk from Amazon. Sign up for their "subscribe and save program" and get an extra 15 percent off and free shipping off of each shipment. The program is like putting in a standing order, but you can cancel at anytime, even after the first shipment. It's free shipping even if the order isn't $25 (and they ship immediately, unlike the other free shipping program where they sit on the order for awhile <_< ) It also tells you that it's about to ship so you can delay an order if your not ready for it yet. I would try a small bag purchased locally first though, just to make sure you like it.

I also tried a "Pamela's knock-off" recipe that was pretty good but Amazon's bulk/subscribe&save program ended up being cheaper for me and I don't have to keep so many ingredients in my house.

I'm a HUGE Pamela's fan. Also love their wheat-free/gluten-free bread (and yes, I get that through the same program). I use it for bread, dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, and pizza crusts.

Everything Janet said!!! :D I do the same, I have a case sent evey 2 months. I also have to say the recipe for sugar cookie roll outs made from the bread mix is AWESOME and easy to roll out!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I made pie crusts with Pamela's that I thought turned out well and tasted as good as the "real thing".

(I don't care for the bread, however, too sweet for me. )

Chrissyb Enthusiast

I have only been at the for about 6 months and Pamela's is the only mix I have used and I love it and so does my family. (which are not gluten free) The first time I made the pancakes I had to make a double patch and my daughter said that the chocolate chip cookies were the best she has had. I use it for coating when we made orange chicken and with my bread crumbs when making pork cutlets. The scones on the back of the bag are to die for I use the for strawberry shortcake. Thanks to the help of the wonder people on the site and Pamela's chocolate cake mix I had the best bithday cake ever this year. As you can tell I am told sold on Pamela's and I have a son who is really picking and doesn't have to eat what I do and he loves the things I make with it so that alone makes me give it a thumbs up. :D

Katsby Apprentice

So far I've only made brownies and pancakes, but my kids loved both. I know it does have some buttermilk in it and also almond flour.

slmprofesseur Apprentice
So far I've only made brownies and pancakes, but my kids loved both. I know it does have some buttermilk in it and also almond flour.

:( Yes, almond flour. I was going to buy some pancake mix tonight and I realized it had had almonds. My ds is very sensitive to things processed in a nut facility. He can't even eat Puffins!

Does anyone know of a good Gluten-free, nut free flour?

luvs2eat Collaborator

I like Pam's mixes too! I did the "bagel" variation w/ her bread mix and had the closest thing to a bagel I'd had in more than 5 years!!!

purple Community Regular

Yay..I went to our co-op the other day and they just got in 5 or 6 Pamela's baking products. Now I can try them. Thanks everyone for all the tips :D

If you google "pamela's gluten-free mix copycat recipe," you'll find one or more recipes to mix your own flour blend to VERY closely approximate Pamela's mix at a fraction of the cost.

But if you don't have time/space to do so, order in bulk!

slmprofesseur Apprentice

Thanks! I'll try that!

purple Community Regular
Thanks! I'll try that!

Ditto...me too. I live an hour and 15 minutes from the store that carries Pamela's, so that copy cat recipe will help...thanks!

lindajeaninsc Newbie
:( Yes, almond flour. I was going to buy some pancake mix tonight and I realized it had had almonds. My ds is very sensitive to things processed in a nut facility. He can't even eat Puffins!

Does anyone know of a good Gluten-free, nut free flour?

Hi,

I often buy Hodgson Mill's gluten-free baking mix, at my grocery store! It's good for choc chip cookies, pancakes, waffles, coffee cake and really good brownies. Those recipes are all on the box! It has millet, sorghum, brown rice and xanthum gum in it.

I made a Betty Hagman biscuit mix this morning, and used the Hodgson Mill's gluten-free baking mix with quinoa, amaranth, cornstarch and tapioca for the flour blend. The biscuits were too soft, but tasted good! Next time I'll use less liquid.

I'm allergic to almonds, as well as most beans, so I can't use the garfava flour blends or some Pamela's. I usually blend my own since I have so many other foods to avoid. I do use alot of Bob's Red Mill mixes, too.

LindaJean

purple Community Regular
Hi,

I often buy Hodgson Mill's gluten-free baking mix, at my grocery store! It's good for choc chip cookies, pancakes, waffles, coffee cake and really good brownies. Those recipes are all on the box! It has millet, sorghum, brown rice and xanthum gum in it.

I made a Betty Hagman biscuit mix this morning, and used the Hodgson Mill's gluten-free baking mix with quinoa, amaranth, cornstarch and tapioca for the flour blend. The biscuits were too soft, but tasted good! Next time I'll use less liquid.

I'm allergic to almonds, as well as most beans, so I can't use the garfava flour blends or some Pamela's. I usually blend my own since I have so many other foods to avoid. I do use alot of Bob's Red Mill mixes, too.

LindaJean

I have a box of it but have been scared to try it. :blink: Now I will, thanks for the tip. There is a recipe for pie crust too...Have you tried it?

I see the ingredients are millet, garbonzo, brown rice and x-gum(I call xanthan that for short).

Archived