This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mixed Drinks

*lee-lee*

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

The first thing most people say when i tell them i have Celiac is "OMG, you can't drink beer???"

Thank goodness i was never a beer drinker! But my old stand-by was always Smirnoff Ice (you know, the MALTED beverages?) and now i'm left questioning what's good to drink when i go out.

I need some simple, easy-for-the-bartender-to-make drink ideas. I hate being that chick who orders something obscure that has 15 ingredients when everyone else is just getting a beer.

i know most wine is ok but i'm wondering what type of mixed drinks everyone suggests. (i usually lean more towards the fruity stuff.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laurelfla Enthusiast

I'll be interested to see what people say, because after 3 years, I still freeze up when I get to the bar and don't know what to order! I was a beer drinker before and loved it... also loved the price... the Celiac price tag is heftier when you go out! ;)

I sometimes get Malibu or Disaronno (amaretto) on the rocks. I've also had vodka and cranberry, when I can confirm that the juice is Ocean Spray. That is the tricky thing at the bar -- sometimes they don't know anything about the juices they have on hand. Also, Hpnotiq is yummy and can be combined with vodka.

Bacardi and Coke is not fruity, but still fun. :)

ehrin Explorer

I have some suggestions for you!

Most bars will make a mojito now w/o rolling their eyes -

Mojito's are rum based so they are safe!

A Rum Punch is also good - very fruity, uses pineapple juice!

I tend to drink mainly vodka drinks...I have yet to find one that has bothered me as all are distilled and the flavored varieties are safe as well...

So a Cape Codder (vodka & cran)

I've yet to find a Dekuypers syrup that has gluten so all those fancy martini's that use those are safe

Appletini

French martini

you could also do a margarita - if you fear sour mix like I do (heartburn) just ask for it with Rose's Lime juice instead!

I have a terrific at home recipe I'll share with you -

I call it Fizzy Lifting Drink

5 lemons juiced

1 cup simple syrup

1 cup vodka (lemon or plain)

Seltzer

juice lemons into pitcher, pour syrup & vodka into pitcher (I like a citrus vodka for this, but plain also works!) fill pitcher with ice and then top off with seltzer

Slice up a lemon and include a slice with each glass!!

You can of course play with the lemon/vodka mixture depending on your taste

If you don't know how to make simple syrup:

2 cups sugar

1 cup water

bring to boil in saucepan, reduce to simmer till sugar evaporates

cool completely before using!

Enjoy!

elonwy Enthusiast

One of my favs, though its sneaky cause its all alcohol is a Silk Panty, as a drink, not a shot. Its Peach Schnapps and Vodka. Tastes like candy. I'm a big fan of Green Apple Martini's, as mentioned all the Dekuyper mixers are gluten-free. I go one for one with water when I'm drinking with those having beer, so I don't get drunker than them too quickly. I usually order a glass of water with my drink, then don't let myself have another drink until my water is finished. Helps with the hangovers as well.

Word to the wise: playing quarters with people when they are drinking beer and your penalty shot is liquor sets you up for a whole pile of fail. Just saying. (my penalty drink was kept away from the beer to be safe)

Ridgewalker Contributor

Oh man... I have to admit, Smirnoff Ices are one of the things I miss most. These days, I'm most likely to order a Tom Collins. :D

Ridgewalker Contributor
Word to the wise: playing quarters with people when they are drinking beer and your penalty shot is liquor sets you up for a whole pile of fail. Just saying. (my penalty drink was kept away from the beer to be safe)

OMG! :lol: :lol: :lol: Almost fell outta the chair on that one! :rolleyes:

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

thanks for the suggestions everyone! i think we might be going out this weekend so i'll be sure to have one of each ;) LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived