This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gut Imbalance And Dysbiosis Behind Everything.

AliB

covsooze Enthusiast

Hi Ali :)

What probiotics do you use then? As I'm in the UK too I should be able to get hold of the same type as you use. I'm 27 weeks pregnant and my digestive issues flare up really badly during pregnancy. I feel in need of some probiotics! I have been eating goat's yoghurt and am not sure what's in that.

I've skimmed this thread with great interest and will try to contribute later. (just trying to juggle typing with looking after DS at the mo!)

Susie x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AliB Enthusiast
Hi Ali :)

What probiotics do you use then? As I'm in the UK too I should be able to get hold of the same type as you use. I'm 27 weeks pregnant and my digestive issues flare up really badly during pregnancy. I feel in need of some probiotics! I have been eating goat's yoghurt and am not sure what's in that.

I've skimmed this thread with great interest and will try to contribute later. (just trying to juggle typing with looking after DS at the mo!)

Susie x

Hi Susie. I don't take probios per se but purely through the yogurt. I use Total Greek yogurt (the 100% not the low fat one as I prefer the creamier taste) which contains Acidophilus and Streptococcus thermophilus as a starter. As I eat this as part of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet it is good backup, but Elaine Gottschall did warn that any probios need to be consumed as part of a low carb, no sugar diet otherwise it could lead to even the good bacteria becoming a problem.

Because, with so many of us our digestions can't cope with carbs and sugar instead of our bodies being able to utilise it it ends up feeding the bacteria instead.

Which goat's yoghurt do you use? Loseley? I am not sure what combination of bacteria is in that. Again, Elaine warns against taking bifidobacterium as that can end up taking over if we are not careful. If we don't get the gut properly balanced then we can just end up exchanging one set of problems for another.

Because the gut is displaced during pregnancy you might find that you are more likely to develop a hernia or similar at the diaphragm area. Are you already on gluten-free? Many gluten-free foods are high in carbs and sugar and that also can exacerbate gut problems, so you might be better sticking to plain foods for a while to see if that helps. I used to get a lot of wind and bloating before going gluten-free but realised pretty quickly that my problem was more than gluten so dropped dairy and most carbs and sugar too. That sorted out the bloating. I still get it a bit, especially if I have eaten too much carbs but if I can avoid them I am better for it.

Hope to chat with you further when you have more time!

AliB Enthusiast

Whilst most in the States probably know of its existence, I have just found a copy of and have been reading 'Fast Food Nation'. Yuk and more yuk. Cows fed dead chickens and chickens fed dead cows - no wonder we are in such a mess.

I picked up on one interesting little point though - in Holland cattle are transported carefully to limit the amount of stress thus restricting the amount of bacteria being shed in their stool. If stress can do that to cattle then surely it can happen to humans too. As auto-immune diseases often seem to be triggered by stress, just perhaps there is a link between an imbalance in gut flora. If, during stress, for some reason the body sloughs off bacteria within the gut, it may be then opening the way for rogue bacteria to take over and produce antagonistic toxins that act as a trigger.

Apparently the toxins in E.Coli 157:H7 are so virulent they have actually given them the name of Shiga toxins. Other, usually harmless strains of E.Coli can also modify to produce these toxins and they are not always picked up as food-poisoning tests do not recognize them.

Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
Ken70 Apprentice

I found a great probiotic for me at least. Dr. Ohhira's Probiotic Plus 12. This stuff is magic as far as I am concerned. I have tried alot of probiotics but this one is working really well. It doesn't even need to be refrigerated. Between this stuff and getting some sun I am feallng pretty good these days. I hope some of you find the same success......

confused Community Regular

Ken,

what is that stuff free from. I am having trouble finding an probotic that is gluten, casein and soy free.

paula

AliB Enthusiast

Paula, can you not just make the SCD yogurt? The long fermentation digest the lactose and changes the casein into a more digestible form. You can buy Probios but in my experience they are obscenely expensive for what you get.

Ken70 Apprentice
Ken,

what is that stuff free from. I am having trouble finding an probotic that is gluten, casein and soy free.

paula

Off the side of the box it says " 100% vegan. no dairy, soy or gluten, non-GMO, chemical free, blister packed to ensure integrity. Refrigeration not required"

try the chrons website to purchase it but there are several others.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confused Community Regular
Paula, can you not just make the SCD yogurt? The long fermentation digest the lactose and changes the casein into a more digestible form. You can buy Probios but in my experience they are obscenely expensive for what you get.

I am afraid to make the scd yogurt, the only thing i use an heating pad is for my stomach lol. I am also afraid event he tiniest of leftover dairy will put me in an rage for weeks.

Off the side of the box it says " 100% vegan. no dairy, soy or gluten, non-GMO, chemical free, blister packed to ensure integrity. Refrigeration not required"

try the chrons website to purchase it but there are several others.

what is the crohns website. Can you pm the webiste and the place to buy the probotics. I would really appreciate it.

thank you

paula

julirama723 Contributor

This is such a fascinating thread! Thanks to those who have offered information and experiences.

I believe that BOTH external environment as well as internal gut flora play a large part in our health (or lack thereof.) What it comes down to is stress; internal stress, external stress, physical stress, emotional stress, mental stress. Everything is connected.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
What it comes down to is stress; internal stress, external stress, physical stress, emotional stress, mental stress. Everything is connected.

Absolutely. Every insult contributes to the total body burden. In my opinion everything plays a role.....its never just one thing.

• 2 weeks later...
AliB Enthusiast

Pele just posted this article on the SCD thread about gut dysbiosis and its link to Celiac.

Kind of makes me feel much better about banging on about the subject! Makes very interesting reading.......

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21685/1/Mor...ease/Page1.html

Thanks Roy for the article if you get to read this......

Ken70 Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

I was listening to NPR yesterday and the Science Friday show. They were discussing bacteria and bleach. The human body apparently makes its own bleach. The science is interesting but I posted the link because there are several other stories on the site that discuss bacteria and illnesses. The other interesting story discusses "bad" bacteria like H Pylori actually helping to lower rates of asthma and other allergy symptoms by increasing the number of T cells.

Ken70 Apprentice
Pele just posted this article on the SCD thread about gut dysbiosis and its link to Celiac.

Kind of makes me feel much better about banging on about the subject! Makes very interesting reading.......

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21685/1/Mor...ease/Page1.html

Thanks Roy for the article if you get to read this......

Just read this. This is the first article I've read that put probiotics and sunlight together as treatment. Speaking from my own experience this is exactly what has worked for me.

AliB Enthusiast

Oh yes Ken, and the following article, another by Roy Jamron, makes that link even stronger.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21605/1/Do-...ease/Page1.html

The pieces of the puzzle are finally coming together.........whether they will ever work out what to do about it is another matter!

Ken70 Apprentice

some more reading from NPR. check out related stories at the bottom of the page

Open Original Shared Link

AliB Enthusiast

That is very interesting Ken, especially about the 'fat' bacteria - I must be well-endowed with those! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived