This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

King Soopers/kroeger/city Market

colorado

colorado Apprentice

Recently the King Soopers (aka City Market, Kroeger) in my area have added a freezer of gluten-free products. Since my diagnosis almost a year ago they have started flagging gluten-free items in the aisles (not because of me obviously) but it is nice to see them doing this.

The Freezer they ahve in the frozen foods section is a lot of kinnickkinnick items. Some Ihad not seen in stores before. I bought their 6 pack of cinnamon-sugar donuts. Finally had them this morning, they were great! I had yet to try a good donut, this beat my expectations!

If this trend continues I hope to be able tos top shopping at three different stores every time I go grocery shopping. Though I will admit, until Whole Foods ($2.49) and King Soopers ($2.29) can meet the $1.89 per box price on Vans Wheat Free Original Waffles at Super Target I will continue to buy my waffles there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I also live in Colorado, Colorado Springs. Have you heard of the Udi bread? Its supposed to be the wonder bread for the celiac world. The owner, Anne I believe is her name is launching it at the kings supers on Austin Bluffs and Academy. Haven't made my way up there yet but heard it is unbelievable. The vice president of kroger is celiac and got tired of having to go to other stores to buy what she needs so this is why they are so into this right now, which is good for all of us :)

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
I also live in Colorado, Colorado Springs. Have you heard of the Udi bread? Its supposed to be the wonder bread for the celiac world. The owner, Anne I believe is her name is launching it at the kings supers on Austin Bluffs and Academy. Haven't made my way up there yet but heard it is unbelievable. The vice president of kroger is celiac and got tired of having to go to other stores to buy what she needs so this is why they are so into this right now, which is good for all of us :)

I got it wrong so wanted to correct myself. She is an assistant manager in Colorado Springs and has made alot of progress in helping grocery store awareness. Go Pam! Here is an insert from the "Rocky Mountain Post"

]Five years ago, Pam Jones was down to 87 pounds before a doctor finally diagnosed her stomach ailments correctly. Jones, an assistant store manager for King Soopers in Colorado Springs, has celiac disease, a digestive malfunction brought on by abnormal reaction to glutens. She must avoid such foods as wheat, rye and barley.

As more people are diagnosed - some 3 million people suffer from it - companies are stepping up to the plate. First, small restaurants/ bakeries such as Deby's Gluten Free Gourmet in Denver began to find solutions, now the "big guys" are getting on board.

At a media launch last week, King Soopers introduced its expanded line of gluten- and wheat-free products. Jones was instrumental in getting the program off the ground, approaching her employer when she found that she was having trouble finding the gluten-free products that she - and her customers - were looking for. She is also responsible for the gluten free labeling in the aisles!

colorado Apprentice

Thanks Kathy, that does remind me, in the freezer, there was a section for Udi's bread, but it was empty. I was actually excited to see that. Udi's used to cater a lot of lunches at a former employer of mine. I always loved their bread in my pre-diagnosis days. :)

curlyfries Contributor
Though I will admit, until Whole Foods ($2.49) and King Soopers ($2.29) can meet the $1.89 per box price on Vans Wheat Free Original Waffles at Super Target I will continue to buy my waffles there.

Seriously?????? It's over $3 a box where I live!!!!!!

ksymonds84 Enthusiast
Thanks Kathy, that does remind me, in the freezer, there was a section for Udi's bread, but it was empty. I was actually excited to see that. Udi's used to cater a lot of lunches at a former employer of mine. I always loved their bread in my pre-diagnosis days. :)

yep, they say its impossible to keep udi's stocked on the shelf its so popular!

buffettbride Enthusiast

I live in Arvada and the store at 80th and Wads is pretty bad about gluten-free products, but the store at 80th and Sheridan kicks butt and has TONS of Kinnickinnick items!!! I was able to do all my shopping there rather than stopping at Vitamin Cottage. I do like to pop into VC every now and then because they have the new gluten-free cereal by Envirokidz (it is chocolate and PB puff cereal).

I've been very pleased with the Kroger trend!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast
If this trend continues I hope to be able tos top shopping at three different stores every time I go grocery shopping. Though I will admit, until Whole Foods ($2.49) and King Soopers ($2.29) can meet the $1.89 per box price on Vans Wheat Free Original Waffles at Super Target I will continue to buy my waffles there.

Seriously . . . have you ever walked into Super Target and just gotten the waffles? You need to take into account that while you are there, you've picked up a new movie for the kids, some basket/organizer stuff because you are FINALLY going to clear off the computer desk, and look, they've got some towels and bedding on clearance . . . now how much did your waffles cost you?

:lol::lol:

Chrissyb Enthusiast

You mean I am not alone in Colorad Springs. Udi is awesome and I am so so happy that King Soopers is now open we were just there last night. Their sandwich bread is great and their blueberry muffins are like angelfood cake. Thanks to a friend of mine who is alwyas looking out for me she saw them in a King Sooper sale flyer one week and that is how I found out about them.

colorado Apprentice

In regard to Super Target, keep in mind I am a guy, getting in and out of Target is not a problem for me. And I stand corrected, the Target prices are accurate, but I was JUST at whole foods and they are 2.99 a box for the waffles.

I have only seen the Vans Wheat Free waffles at Super Target not at a regular Target. :)

colorado Apprentice

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgo

mgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

I just got some Udi's white sandwich bread, OMG. It is real bread, it is so good. I am saved.

I am, as I type this, eating an Udi's cinnamon roll! It's like a real cinnamon roll! I'm starting a new thread dedicated to Udi's!

• 2 years later...
gefen Newbie

Kroger's is very helpful I spoke with one manager and asked him regarding carrying my favorite breads Katz Challah bread and there sweets like the marble cake and they were very cooperative and said they will look into this so I hope they will get it in soon

Archived