This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

1200 Calorie Nutritious Diet

MinnieM

MinnieM Newbie

I was diagnosed last week and have a weight problem so need to stay at 1200 calories (low carb). Does anyone have a food plan for that many calories they can share with me for a working outside the home person? I put my food plan in Sparkpeople.com and I'm not eating enough nutritionally although am in the right calorie range. No bread, cake, cookies needed. I'm fine with eating every 3 hrs too. Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator

I'm on a plan of about 1600 right now. One thing that I do is I eat big bowls of cooked vegies. They really fill me up. Also, chicken and tuna are about half the calories of beef and salmon. That helps.

Basically, pad every meal with a big bowl of cooked vegies, like stir-fry, and you'll feel full. (Too much raw stuff gives me gas.)

Can you eat fruit? Some "low carb" plans count it as carbs like bread, some don't.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Why 1200? That's really low, even if you're not exercising much, and if you are, that

s way too low--for more than 3-5 days. 1500-1600 if you're somewhat active is better and more realistic. Too long at 1200 and there may be a binging issue--I speak from experience :rolleyes:

purple Community Regular

I used to count calories years ago. I remember that watermelon and green beans were very low. I ate them all the time.

kenlove Rising Star

Years ago I was in TOPS ( Take off pounds sensibly) and was on 1200 Calories a day for more than a year before going to 1500.

I need to do it again too! Reading calorie books was really helpful. In those days I didn't have a cholesterol problem so I ate a lot of Chicken liver dinners. The trick for me was finding low calorie filling foods. Ate tons of spinach too. If I had a few calories left, a Hersheys kiss was 17 calories and I can remember cutting them in half!

good luck

ken

I was diagnosed last week and have a weight problem so need to stay at 1200 calories (low carb). Does anyone have a food plan for that many calories they can share with me for a working outside the home person? I put my food plan in Sparkpeople.com and I'm not eating enough nutritionally although am in the right calorie range. No bread, cake, cookies needed. I'm fine with eating every 3 hrs too. Thanks for your help!
Ann1231 Enthusiast

Hi,

I don't have a specific plan but I can tell you that for a year or so, I saw a dietician who put me on a 1200 calorie and I felt fantastic. She stressed vegetables, fruits and lean proteins. She was, however, realistic that somedays you don't want to see a leaf of lettuce or another chicken breast and all you want is chocolate. She supported that as long as the overall diet was based on good nutrition. I ate a LOT of salads, seafood, stir-fries, etc. and lost the weight easily. I need to get back on that. I was religious about keeping a food diary and I think that was key to the success. It's funny I read this post today, I had started figuring in my head all day today what I was eating! this was a good nudge to get me going again.

OH! the thing that made calorie counting VERY easy was I counted points, not calories.

for instance:

75 calories = 1 pt.

150 calories = 2 pt.

etc.

I was allowed 16 points per day which was 1200 calories.

good luck and thanks for the nudge I needed to get back on this

MinnieM Newbie

Thanks for those who have been encouraging that this can be done! I'm startled: Don't you think it's important to know the person's height etc before a person decides the "best" amount of calories to eat a day?

Since I'm' not sure at this point what has gluten and what doesn't, I had to stay with "safe" items so here's what I'm doing. Feel free to add suggestions but again I want to stay with the 1200 calories:

breakfast: boiled egg white and fruit

snack: boiled egg white and fruit

Lunch: half can tuna with fresh veggies

snack: non-fat cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt and cottage cheese or almonds and a yogurt or fruit (add flax seed)

Dinner: a soup made of lentils or beans and diced tomatoes, spinach, broccali, carrots

snack: repeat above

I'm best with a routine (which helps me not binge) and in time when I'm more familiar with things I can eat, I plan to have one day a week as a "treat day" and not count the calories. I use a free internet site to log my food and count my calories, which does help so much to begin with!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I will only point out that not every Celiac is skinny before diagnosis. Many members of this board lost weight after going gluten-free, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for you.

I hope you achieve your goal soon!

Rya Newbie
Thanks for those who have been encouraging that this can be done! I'm startled: Don't you think it's important to know the person's height etc before a person decides the "best" amount of calories to eat a day?

Since I'm' not sure at this point what has gluten and what doesn't, I had to stay with "safe" items so here's what I'm doing. Feel free to add suggestions but again I want to stay with the 1200 calories:

breakfast: boiled egg white and fruit

snack: boiled egg white and fruit

Lunch: half can tuna with fresh veggies

snack: non-fat cottage cheese and fruit, yogurt and cottage cheese or almonds and a yogurt or fruit (add flax seed)

Dinner: a soup made of lentils or beans and diced tomatoes, spinach, broccali, carrots

snack: repeat above

I'm best with a routine (which helps me not binge) and in time when I'm more familiar with things I can eat, I plan to have one day a week as a "treat day" and not count the calories. I use a free internet site to log my food and count my calories, which does help so much to begin with!

I completely agree that you should know a person's height and weight before you decide how many calories they need. Age is a factor also. However, 1200 is about as low as anyone should go - any lower and it becomes difficult to get the nutrients you need.

Just doing a quick add up in my head, I would guess the above meal plan is closer to 800 calories. Of course this varies with portion sizes.

Here is something I used at a weight loss clinic. The pattern for each meal is 2 carbs (160 cals), 1 protein (50 cals) and 1 fat (45 cals) for about five small meals each day totaling about 260 calories each. You can combine two small meals to make a big one if you like.

A carb would be: milk, yogurt (dannon and yoplait are gluten free), cottage cheese, 2 corn tortillas, 1/2 cup of rice pasta (DeBoles is one I use), 1 small potato, 1/2 cup mashed potatoes, 1 medium piece of fruit

A protein would be: 1 egg cooked any way, 1 oz of any meat/fish, 2 teaspoons of nut butter, 1/3 cup of light cheese, 1/2 cup of any legume

A fat would be: 1 teaspoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of margarine, 1 tablespoon of light mayo or light salad dressing, 1 tablespoon of avocado, about 8-10 nuts

Mix and match the foods as you choose to make your meals, the list isn't all inclusive either, of course.

Kudos for being so goal-oriented! B)

Rya Newbie

And I forgot, veggies are pretty much considered a free food if they have no fat added. Technically they aren't, but they are so nutritious, filling, and fibrous that they are the last thing that will sabotage your diet. Eat as many as you want!

MinnieM Newbie

Rya, your comments are extremely helpful as we approach the weekend and I make a food plan for next week!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!1

Rya Newbie
Rya, your comments are extremely helpful as we approach the weekend and I make a food plan for next week!! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!1

:D Very happy to hear it helped!

Hi,

I don't have a specific plan but I can tell you that for a year or so, I saw a dietician who put me on a 1200 calorie and I felt fantastic. She stressed vegetables, fruits and lean proteins. She was, however, realistic that somedays you don't want to see a leaf of lettuce or another chicken breast and all you want is chocolate.

People think they can't have chocolate on a diet, but that's not the case. I've been on a diet for the last six weeks, and I've lost five lbs, and I still eat chocolate. What makes a difference is the type of chocolate and the amount. If I get the Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, they are 5 calories each. (They are larger chips.) I can have as many or as few as I want depending on my calorie budget for the day.

The reason why dark chocolate is key is that I actually get chocolate, and satisfy my chocolate craving before I get hooked on the sugar. When I eat a whole bag of M&Ms I don't necessarily satisfy the chocolate craving, but the sugar makes me crave more sugar and more junk. 50 calories worth of dark (about 70%) chocolate is perfect for cravings.

gfp Enthusiast
People think they can't have chocolate on a diet, but that's not the case. I've been on a diet for the last six weeks, and I've lost five lbs, and I still eat chocolate. What makes a difference is the type of chocolate and the amount. If I get the Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips, they are 5 calories each. (They are larger chips.) I can have as many or as few as I want depending on my calorie budget for the day.

The reason why dark chocolate is key is that I actually get chocolate, and satisfy my chocolate craving before I get hooked on the sugar. When I eat a whole bag of M&Ms I don't necessarily satisfy the chocolate craving, but the sugar makes me crave more sugar and more junk. 50 calories worth of dark (about 70%) chocolate is perfect for cravings.

If all you do is count calories then you can eat anything you want...

The problem is it doesn't make it healthy. If you are counting calories then every empty calorie is a waste.

The BBC ran an article on the olympic swimmer who eats 11,000 calories of absolute crap everyday... his diet is junk... he doesn't make a single concession to healthy foods... but he's burning 11,000 a day so he can eat crap and still have enough minerals and elements to actuallly be healthy. He also has a full time coach and medical testing ....

1200 is very low which doesn't mean its not the correct amount for MinnieM but it is dangerously low in terms of nutrition unless its done carefully. It's the opposite of the swimmer ...

For a celiac who has adsorption problems this is even more critical.

Cravings are usually a sign your diet is missing something...

As others have said 1200 is low.... very low... and pushing the limits unless you make sure everything is balanced and nutrient packed.

You're totally right on that point. I'm just saying that chocolate isn't as bad as everyone seems to think, because people equate it with candy/sugar/junk, and that a lot of the time portion control is a big issue in weight-loss diets.

1200 is very low which doesn't mean its not the correct amount for MinnieM but it is dangerously low in terms of nutrition unless its done carefully.

You're totally right on that point. I'm just saying that chocolate isn't as bad as everyone seems to think, because people equate it with candy/sugar/junk, and that a lot of the time portion control is a big issue in weight-loss diets.

I also agree with both statements--everything in moderation and 1200 is about the base amount of calories to sustain life functions. If you are bed-ridden and are doing nothing in terms of activity, then 1200 may be OK if done right with all the proper nutrients. I know height and weight play a roll for sure, I just also know that 1200 is very difficult to maintain and if not done properly, it can mess up your metabolism.

Green Eyes Rookie

Okay, I've just got to weigh in on this issue (no pun intended). I started a 1200 calorie diet a week before I found out I was celiac. Once I found out I was celiac I was determined I was not going to let this get me down. I even found it was an advantage. In the past there were so many temptations and now they are poison to me. Helps me make better choices when I can't grab a cookie just because it is there.

The two major factors that work for me is to have a support group. I started a group at church that I am accountable to. I always work better with accountability. Even if it is one person you are working with and accountable to - it helps. Second, exercise - exercise - exercise!!!! It doesn't matter what you do, just do it. I started out walking - built up the speed and the amount. From there I started to weights for toning. I hated it at first but now I can't live without it. I feel so much better just focusing on me and my health. As important as the food is - so are the other things you put in place to help you get and stay healthy!!!

Jennifer

The two major factors that work for me is to have a support group. I started a group at church that I am accountable to. I always work better with accountability. Even if it is one person you are working with and accountable to - it helps. Second, exercise - exercise - exercise!!!! It doesn't matter what you do, just do it. I started out walking - built up the speed and the amount. From there I started to weights for toning. I hated it at first but now I can't live without it. I feel so much better just focusing on me and my health. As important as the food is - so are the other things you put in place to help you get and stay healthy!!!

Jennifer

I TOTALLY agree, and being accountable makes a huge difference!!! But IMHO, you can't exercise every day and intake 1200 calories, you need more than that. I was also on a 1200 calorie diet years ago and was exercising every day. I lost a little weight at first but then nothing was coming off. After talking to a nutritionist, I found that I was taking in too few calories. I increased to 1500 and the pounds started coming off with no problem. Currently, the amount of exercise and training that I'm doing affords me at least 2000 calories with a small weight loss each week, which I'm fine with, but I know if there's a day I'm not working out, I back the calories down to 1500.

This is what worked for me and everyone's bodies are different, so do what's right for you. Good luck :)

purple Community Regular

I used to follow this:

A woman needs about 2000 calories per day, a little more sometimes and less if you're not very active(depends on the person)

She should not safely lose more than 2 lbs. per week.

If you cut down to 1500 calories per day, that equals 7x500=3500 calories or 1 lb.

Throw in some exercise and you will healthy-wise lose 1-2 lb's per week.

If you eat more one day, then be careful and eat more veggies and fruits the next day.

Add 100 automatic calories to the tally everyday incase you forget something.

Your metabolism won't get messed up and you will keep the weight off.

If you end up eating 1300 calories once in awhile or 1600-1700, your system won't get messed up.

Count all cheating calories. <_< That makes it ok to cheat (HA HA)

You will learn fast what to eat b/c bad food is loaded with calories, like one meal at a fast food restaurant (before celiac of course)was enough calories for the whole day! Then no more eating until the next day.

purple Community Regular

You are my kinda chocolate lover, thanks for the tip ;)

I used to follow this:

A woman needs about 2000 calories per day, a little more sometimes and less if your not very active(depends on the person)

She should not safely lose more than 2 lbs. per week.

If you cut down to 1500 calories per day, that equals 7x500=3500 calories or 1 lb.

Throw in some exercise and you will healthy-wise lose 1-2 lb's per week.

If you eat more one day, then be careful and eat more veggies and fruits the next day.

Add 100 automatic calories to the tally everyday incase you forget something.

Your metabolism won't get messed up and you will keep the weight off.

If you end up eating 1300 calories once in awhile or 1600-1700, your system won't get messed up.

Count all cheating calories. <_< That makes it ok to cheat (HA HA)

This is exactly what I do too--and when I make your cookies, I almost can't eat anything the next day :lol::lol:

Green Eyes Rookie

Oh my gosh!!! I'm flipping out here - Celiac-Mommy!!! You can really eat 2000 calories and lose weight? That is to die for!!! If I do a 1200 diet 5 days a week and 1400 calories 2 days a week - I might lose 2 pounds a week. That is if I exercise!!!!

It is soooo amazing to me how our bodies can be so different. I guess I'm a little older than you are also - my disadvantage!!!

Jennifer

Oh my gosh!!! I'm flipping out here - Celiac-Mommy!!! You can really eat 2000 calories and lose weight? That is to die for!!! If I do a 1200 diet 5 days a week and 1400 calories 2 days a week - I might lose 2 pounds a week. That is if I exercise!!!!

It is soooo amazing to me how our bodies can be so different. I guess I'm a little older than you are also - my disadvantage!!!

Jennifer

No, I'm not that lucky. I really struggle. I do Krav Maga which is an Israeli martial arts, it burns over 800 calories per hour-I do this a few days a week. I also lift weights 3x a week, yoga 1x a week and mat pilates 2x a week, plus, I have 2 VERY active kids and a big house to clean. I work out so much that according to my trainer, 2000 is probably too low.... I've struggled with my weight my entire life. You name the eating disorder and I've had it or at least tried it. I was in therapy for a while, it helped, but I will never be "normal". I did lose 100# 5 years ago and have kept it off, but I'm constantly paranoid that I will gain it back, thus the excessive working out. I know, I have issues :rolleyes:

I also work out so much so I can eat :P

I've been thinking about this since my last post, I grew up with a lot of body issues, I was 5'11" at the age of 12 with a large C cup--that messes with your head if it's not dealt with properly and my mom didn't know how to teach me how to love myself and be happy with my body. I have come a long way and I have been very healthy the last 8 years with no significant problems or issues. I will always have body issues, but how I deal with it now is so much different than when I was a teenager. It's also very important for me not to project my insecurities onto my daughter. I'm learning NOW how to teach her to deal with the teenage years to come in a constructive way so she doesn't go thru what I did. Anyway, had to get that off my chest for some reason.

Rya Newbie

The American Dietetic Association's position is: There are no bad foods, all things in moderation. That's a paraphrase by the way.

I did see Michael Phelps' diet. I am sure that his medical advisers are making sure he gets his vitamins and minerals, even if from pill form. And it's probably the super expensive vitamin that's easily absorbed. However, had he employed a dietitian :rolleyes: , I would imagine said dietitian could come up with a much healthier 11,000 calorie diet.

So...not that I'm endorsing his diet, but the concept of 11,000 calories is insane. You would have to work around making sure each food isn't too filling so that he could actually consume it without interfering with his swims. And pizza isn't necessarily bad for you, but donuts....

Anyway...nuts and nut butters are my favorite weight gainer.

Did anyone hear about the Celiac olympian??

Rya

Archived