• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

No Veggies..

2 posts in this topic

Yeah I think I just give up. as of the middle of december I cant eat any veggies anymore without feeling REALLY cramped up. its not bloated, not gas, just killer cramps. Sometimes so bad that i have to lie down cause I cant even breathe. Its just cucumbers and lettuce that doesnt bother me now. I live on just gluten-free sandwiches and rice basically, and sometimes rice noodles, but they are so expensive I cant afford it anymore. I only have enough money to feed myself for 4 years, and just food, nothing else, so i'm trying to cut down on the expensive stuff. <_<

Anyone else have issues with veggies???

~lisa~

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Some veggies are worse than others, but yes, many of us have similar problems. I cannot eat corn or okra without being near a bathroom. No true allergies to these items, they just cause my system to react. There are some other things as well. I also seem to cycle through periods of time when I can eat only a few items without a reaction.

Try giving your system a rest. Even if you were a great nutritionist before, your system may not be able to handle the fibers for a while. If you have quite a bit of damage, you may have to live off grilled chicken and white rice for a few weeks. Eat what you can and allow your digestive tract to heal up. You can then add back items you know are gluten-free one at a time. If you react, back off and wait a while before you try again. If you allow yourself alcohol, try a little bit of wine with your meals. It may relax your system. Just be careful not to let that become too much of a habit.

It will get better if you stick to it. Your system just seems to be taking a little longer than some.

I am disabled with three children, so I know about the financial side of this. My mother and friends are just amazed that I manage to feed this crew on $250+/- each month. If you keep it to simple meats and simple veggies you can do it. That does not mean that it is easy. Plan ahead. Don't buy a lot of junk foods. Cook from scratch and be sure to eat the left-overs. Soups and cornbread go a long way. So do dried beans when your system stabilizes. Make your own breads if you want to eat them. You can even have a few splurge items if you budget your grocery bills carefully.