This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frozen Pizza

*lee-lee*

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

one of my friends is coming into town next weekend to visit and i'm trying to plan meals. i'm the Celiac, not her, but she knows all about it (her dad, aunt and uncle all have it). my boyfriend is dying for pizza (he's gone without for 6 weeks now in support of me) so i told them they could order one and i would try not to cry too much. :( i want to get my own pizza so it won't be as traumatizing but i'm not sure which is the best one.

my problem is that i don't live near anything but a few mainstream grocery stores with a couple tiny gluten-free shelves in the "Natures MarketPlace" food sections. no Trader Joe's, no Whole Foods, no Wegmans, no health food stores. I'm a terrible cook and am not especially excited at the thought at trying to make my own dough.

The only 2 brands i've seen at my stores are Amy's and Glutino. Is one better than the other? or will i be disappointed by either one and i should just stick to salad or chicken or something?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I personally think I like the Cheese Glutino pizza better than Amy's.

elonwy Enthusiast

I like the Amy's better personally. I get the cheese pizza, then buy a bunch of my own toppings, pepperoni, onions, olives, etc. I cook it a little bit longer than it asks for to make sure the crust is cooked all the way through the middle, then serve with ranch dressing for dipping. Yum.

Also: try a compromise, have a pizza topping party, where everyone gets to help out, but go all gluten-free crusts. Then there is no crying :)

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

sounds like i better do a trial run with both brands before next weekend!

i do like the idea about making our own though...i'll have to check the stores to see if they sell pre-made crusts.

elonwy Enthusiast

Well I use the pre-frozen ones, but since they are so boring as to just come with cheese I jazz them up and then cook them according to the directions, just adding some minutes. I also add more cheese, cause i love cheese...

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I have 3 kids and a full-time job, and I honestly think it's faster, easier, and tastier to make my own using corn tortillas. I make them all the time for my boys and their friends, and their friends scarf them down with no complaints.

For thin crust, use one tortilla per pizza--heat on griddle sprayed with PAM over high heat for 1-2 minutes per side, then transfer to a foil-lined cookie sheet.

For thick crust, use 2 corn tortillas, and sandwich a slice of mozzarella or provolone between them, then brown on each side of the "sandwich." Then transfer to the cookie sheet.

Top with your favorite sauce (we use plain ol' canned tomato sauce, doctored with basil and garlic powder), cheese (shredded mozzarella, of course, but provolone works well, too, and it comes in convenient round slices that fit perfectly on the corn tortillas), and whatever toppings you like--we like bacon bits, shredded chicken, fresh basil, and little globs of ricotta. Shove under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and just starting to brown.

Ask your friend and boyfriend what their favorite toppings are!

Start to finish=20 minutes.

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

ooh Fiddle-Faddle, that sounds wonderfully easy! i'm giddy with excitement to try them!! :D :D :D thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I'm with Fiddle-Faddle. I make a microwave version of her pizza. Place two corn tortillas on a plate, spread pizza sauce on top ( I like Enrico's) add shredded cheese (your choice, I use sharp chedder cheese) and toppings. I only add pepperoni but I am sure other toppings found on pizzas can be added, although some may need to be precooked. Put another corn tortilla on top and microwave for 45 seconds to 1 minute (unitl the cheese is melted) I cut it into small pieces and eat it with a knife and fork.

I have not made Fiddle-Faddles pizza but since she is using the stove and the broiler hers is probably better.

Hope all works out well.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Order one online from Joan's Gluten Free Great BAkes - Yummy!

While you are at it, get some english muffins and bagels - Joan's makes the best!

BB

ShayFL Enthusiast

If I didnt have all my restrictions, I would order one of these. I have it bookmarked for when I am healed. They ship it frozen and you cook it at home. This restaurant got great reviews all over online. And my god.....they have cannoli........gluten-free cannoli. A little pricey....but for a special occasion......

Open Original Shared Link

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We usually buy the frozen crusts and make our own, then we can put however and which ever toppings we want. My husband and I go crazy with bacon and brocolli so we love making our own.

Archived