This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Condensed Soups

Juliebove

Juliebove Rising Star
Juliebove,

I feel bad that you have so many difficult allergies to find subs for.

Can you use hazelnut, oat or potato milk? My grandma used to make the gravy with the boiled potato water. I remember her saying that it gives the gravy a good flavor. You could use potato water (get it as thick as you like it)or some potato flakes I bet, for any creamed soup mix sub. ;) Just toss in the other goodies with it. It would be easy too.

I found another recipe if you can sub the powdered milk. The web site may also help you with finding subs for your other allergies :)

Open Original Shared Link

go to:

recipes

soup recipes

cream soup mix

FYI

this might help someone that can't have dairy but can have almond: In Cooking Free by Carol Fenster(great book for anyone allergic to gluten, dairy, eggs, and sugar), you can sub almond flour for dry milk powder or nondairy milk powder. She states it under the Pizza Mix recipe. And she says to use the same amount of almond flour (finely ground blanched almonds) for the dry milk powder, for browning baked goods stated under dairy subs.

Carol lists these brands for a nondairy milk powder sub:

Solait, Better Than Milk, English Bay, Vance's DariFree

some are available in both soy and rice forms

Bette Hagman lists:

Lacto-Free for the lactose intolerant (soy)

Tofu White (soy)

NutQuik (almonds)

Powdered baby formula: Isomil, ProSobee, Nursoy (all soy based)

Pregestimil (corn based)

(my dd wants to be a vegan/gluten-free so I have been checking into what I can use for her, she is not allergic...yet) I am learning so much ...thanks to everyone on this forum!!!

I haven't tried hazlenut milk, but I shall. As for the Dari Free, I find it to be sickeningly sweet. I made a recipe of Chicken A La King using it and it came out quite nasty. Just tasted like chicken and noodles with sugar. As for the forumla, that won't work since it is casein and not necessarily the lactose that's a problem. But thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star
Here's what my mom and I do:

Take a tablespoon or two of butter (we really don't measure), melt it in a sauce pan, add enough flour (we use rice or Pamela's baking mix) to soak up the melted butter. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, add mushrooms, chicken broth, etc. to desired amount. Let thicken to diesired constistancy.

Last night we made cream of mushroom soup using this recipe. If you don't like whole mushrooms, but still want the taste, puree the mushrooms with a little bit of milk inthe blender.

The problem is we can't have butter and milk.

Cheri A Contributor
I haven't tried hazlenut milk, but I shall. As for the Dari Free, I find it to be sickeningly sweet. I made a recipe of Chicken A La King using it and it came out quite nasty. Just tasted like chicken and noodles with sugar. As for the forumla, that won't work since it is casein and not necessarily the lactose that's a problem. But thanks!

ITA about the Dari Free, Julie. I use it in my dd's bread to replace the dry milk powder, and I hide it in smoothies. She will not drink it straight or in anything savory.

• 2 weeks later...
purple Community Regular

I wanted to add the following recipe to this thread. I found it in an Idaho Potato brochure.

Idaho Potato Cream Sauce

1 small Idaho potato (about 4 oz.), peeled and diced

1/2 cup water

1 T. butter-flavor granules

1 T. onion powder

1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules

1/2 to 1 cup skimmed evaporated milk

1/8 tsp. pepper (white pepper optional)

In small saucepan, combine Idaho potato and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.

Using an electric hand mixer, blend potatoes until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup milk along with the remaining seasonings, blending until smooth and adding additional milk to reach a cream sauce consistency. Yield 4 (1/2 cup) servings.

Serving suggestion: Use as a base for creamy soups, casseroles and scalloped potato dishes, or anything to which you want to impart a velvety richness without adding fat.

Adjust it to suit your needs-gluten-free/dairy free. Hey, just save out a potato the next time you boil or bake some adding water, milk or broth to mash it with. (Or throw it out in the street for a truck to run over it...Ha Ha Ha :rolleyes: ). Then use it in the recipe above. Simple. B)

Juliebove Rising Star
I wanted to add the following recipe to this thread. I found it in an Idaho Potato brochure.

Idaho Potato Cream Sauce

1/2 cup water

1 T. onion powder

In small saucepan, combine Idaho potato and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.

Using an electric hand mixer, blend potatoes until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup milk along with the remaining seasonings, blending until smooth and adding additional milk to reach a cream sauce consistency. Yield 4 (1/2 cup) servings.

Serving suggestion: Use as a base for creamy soups, casseroles and scalloped potato dishes, or anything to which you want to impart a velvety richness without adding fat.

Adjust it to suit your needs-gluten-free/dairy free. Hey, just save out a potato the next time you boil or bake some adding water, milk or broth to mash it with. (Or throw it out in the street for a truck to run over it...Ha Ha Ha :rolleyes: ). Then use it in the recipe above. Simple. B)

Thanks, but we can't have milk.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Idaho Potato Cream Sauce

1/2 cup water

1 T. onion powder

I'm gonna have to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing :D

purple Community Regular

I found another recipe that belongs on this thread. I am sure you can turn it into cream of chicken-mushroom or cream of chicken. You may want to reduce the amount of mushrooms or add a bit of flour. I have not tried it but the pic in the book looks like a really good soup. I found it in Pillsbury Quick Cooking. Adjust according to your needs. Use gluten-free ingredients or allergy friendly.

Zesty Mushroom Soup

1 T. margarine or butter

1 cup thinly sliced fresh mushrooms

1/4 cup thinly sliced onion

2 T. flour (gluten-free of course)

1/2 to 1 tsp. dried tarragon leaves

1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)

1/8 tsp. salt

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup half and half

2 T. dry white wine or water

Melt margarine in med. saucepan over med-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add flour, tarragon, cayenne, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; gradually add broth, half and half and wine. Cook 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. 2 (3/4 cup) servings.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
Juliebove Rising Star

I found the perfect thing!

Heat 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup plain rice milk over medium heat. Meanwhile combine 3/4 cup gluten-free flour mix with 1 cup plain rice milk in a bowl. When broth mix comes to a boil, add the rice milk and flour and whisk until thick. Only takes another minute or so.

It's excellent! I am going to try this next time I make tuna casserole but using vegetable broth and adding plenty of chopped mushrooms.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

When I was at my favorite gluten free bakery today, Outside the Breadbox in colorado springs (she sells other products as well as bread), I found Cream of Portabella Soup. It is gluten, dairy, and vegan. It does contain soy for those who are intolerant to soy. It is by imagine foods. On the side of the carton it says can be used in any recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup. I also like Progresso's cream of mushroom but has too much dairy for my system (I can only tolerate small amounts of dairy). Progresso's cream of mushroom soup is gluten free but hard to find.

Juliebove Rising Star
When I was at my favorite gluten free bakery today, Outside the Breadbox in colorado springs (she sells other products as well as bread), I found Cream of Portabella Soup. It is gluten, dairy, and vegan. It does contain soy for those who are intolerant to soy. It is by imagine foods. On the side of the carton it says can be used in any recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup. I also like Progresso's cream of mushroom but has too much dairy for my system (I can only tolerate small amounts of dairy). Progresso's cream of mushroom soup is gluten free but hard to find.

They sell that here but we try to avoid soy.

Cheri A Contributor
I found the perfect thing!

Heat 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/2 cup plain rice milk over medium heat. Meanwhile combine 3/4 cup gluten-free flour mix with 1 cup plain rice milk in a bowl. When broth mix comes to a boil, add the rice milk and flour and whisk until thick. Only takes another minute or so.

It's excellent! I am going to try this next time I make tuna casserole but using vegetable broth and adding plenty of chopped mushrooms.

Hi, Julie. I'm glad that you found something that will work for you. Let me know how it comes out with the tuna casserole. My dh just asked recently for that. I haven't made it in a long time because I didn't think it would work w/the recipe I've been using.

Juliebove Rising Star
Hi, Julie. I'm glad that you found something that will work for you. Let me know how it comes out with the tuna casserole. My dh just asked recently for that. I haven't made it in a long time because I didn't think it would work w/the recipe I've been using.

I will. Not sure when I'm going to make it though.

knitaddict Apprentice

I keep trying to find a cream of chicken soup! It's driving me NUTS! I found a really yummy sounding "Thanksgiving Leftover's" recipe...but it calls for Cream of Chicken soup....hmmm....guess I'll have to think of a sufficient substitute.

Oh, and in case you were wondering...the leftover recipe...

Take your leftover mashed potatoes and spread them into the bottom of a casserole dish.

Cover with leftover dressing or stuffing (gluten-free, of COURSE)

Chop up leftover turkey and saute in a little butter.

Add Cream of Chicken soup to the butter/turkey and heat to the point of thickening...not too thick...just when it starts to thicken.

Pour over casserole.

Bake @ 350 til heated and bubbly.

See? It sounds GOOD! And I'm ALWAYS throwing away Thanksgiving leftovers.....the leftover recipes I have seen just sound gross....this sounds pretty good....so I'm trying like HELL to find a proper substitute for that cream of chicken!

ek327 Newbie

My husband makes a to-die-for cream soup base with NO cream. He boils rice and onion until mushy in chicken broth (or broth of choice). skip onions if you don't like onions. after it is done, he blends it, and the blended rice makes it creamy. I imagine it could be thickened with some arrowroot or sweet rice flour or cornstarch if you needed it thicker. we do sometimes add cream at the end to make it richer, but it is not necessary. the onions give it a nice flavor. its great for cream of turkey soup--(thanksgiving leftovers--turkey broth).

ek327 Newbie

you could use the rice cream base on that. I make the same casserole, and cover it with my gravy. it is yummy!! and yes, I make my gravy gluten free, of course.

Archived