This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Captain Morgan's

lobita

lobita Apprentice

Does anyone else have any problem with the Spiced Rum? I'm trying to get recent confirmation with them (something else other than postings from 2006), but I haven't had any luck.

I've recently had some outbreaks of DH and I'm wondering if this is the cause.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

https://www.celiac.com/articles/222/1/Glute...ages/Page1.html

Don't know specifically about Capt. Morgan's.

lobita Apprentice

Well, Capt. Morgan got back to me, and I don't really like their response:

"Thank you for taking time to contact Captain Morgan. Your feedback is important to us.

In regards to your inquiry, please be advised that our non-flavored rums are considered gluten free, however our flavored malt beverages are not.

We value loyal consumers such as yourself and we appreciate your enthusiasm.

If there is anything else we could help you with now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Once again, thank you for contacting Captain Morgan.

Sincerely,

Robert A.

Captain Morgan Consumer Representative"

Why do they have to say "considered" gluten-free? The more I read about how they make the stuff, the more I don't like it. I know they use a "mash" that may or may not contain gluten, but if they distill it afterwards, it should be okay. But then they still put into oak barrels to age it, and lots of places say those barrels are coated in wheat paste, which could leave enough residue to make us sick. Grr, why do alcohol companies - in particular - have to be so difficult in disclosing their practices?

gfp Enthusiast
Well, Capt. Morgan got back to me, and I don't really like their response:

"Thank you for taking time to contact Captain Morgan. Your feedback is important to us.

In regards to your inquiry, please be advised that our non-flavored rums are considered gluten free, however our flavored malt beverages are not.

We value loyal consumers such as yourself and we appreciate your enthusiasm.

If there is anything else we could help you with now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Once again, thank you for contacting Captain Morgan.

Sincerely,

Robert A.

Captain Morgan Consumer Representative"

Why do they have to say "considered" gluten-free? The more I read about how they make the stuff, the more I don't like it. I know they use a "mash" that may or may not contain gluten, but if they distill it afterwards, it should be okay. But then they still put into oak barrels to age it, and lots of places say those barrels are coated in wheat paste, which could leave enough residue to make us sick. Grr, why do alcohol companies - in particular - have to be so difficult in disclosing their practices?

I realise its infuriating BUT you answered your own question.

It should be OK.... but they cannot guarantee it.....

Grr, why do alcohol companies - in particular - have to be so difficult in disclosing their practices?

You asked a direct question. They actually answered you honestly.

If you asked the same question of a food company they can use the fuzzy law to mislead you legally. If you ask "Does it contain ANY gluten" that is not the same question as asking "Is it gluten free" because they can use the vague definitions (or not) or gluten-free ...

Alcohol is a 'restricted drug' ... its under the remit of ATF and controls are much stricter than for food.

As a test try sneaking a small amount of food into the US. You get a warning, possibly a fine but no jail time.

Try doing the same with a restricted drug. Even alcohol or tobacco and you are more likely to get ail time tan smuggling in an orange.

Strange thing.... if you smuggled in some heroine for personal use your hurting yourself. Possibly kill someone driving or mug someone but essentially yourself. Smuggle in an orange and they have us believe the entire Florida crop will be killed.

lovegrov Collaborator

IMO, Capt. Morgan's is gluten-free.

Some manufacturers avoid saying it IS gluten-free because the U.S. has no gluten-free standard yet.

If the barrels were "coated in wheat paste," I imagine they would say that.

richard

larry mac Enthusiast

I drank some recently without any obvious glutening repercussions.

Full disclosure. I also regularly drink sour mash style Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey's such as Makers Mark, Ezra Brooks, W.L. Wellers, and Jack Daniels. And on occasion various liqueurs such as Italian Lemoncello (am sipping some Limonce at the moment), Italian Tuaca, Mexican Almendrado (Tequila almond liqueur), Coffee liqueurs such as Kahlua, Puccino, & Tia Maria, Irish Cream Liqueurs such as Baileys, and Italian hazelnut Frangelico.

Mostly though, I'm a tequila aficionado. I'm pretty sure there's no gluten in Tequila.

best regards, lm

gfp Enthusiast
I drank some recently without any obvious glutening repercussions.

Spiced or the 'normal'. I think the issue here is with the spiced specifically?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lobita Apprentice
I realise its infuriating BUT you answered your own question.

It should be OK.... but they cannot guarantee it.....

You asked a direct question. They actually answered you honestly.

If you asked the same question of a food company they can use the fuzzy law to mislead you legally. If you ask "Does it contain ANY gluten" that is not the same question as asking "Is it gluten free" because they can use the vague definitions (or not) or gluten-free ...

Alcohol is a 'restricted drug' ... its under the remit of ATF and controls are much stricter than for food.

As a test try sneaking a small amount of food into the US. You get a warning, possibly a fine but no jail time.

Try doing the same with a restricted drug. Even alcohol or tobacco and you are more likely to get ail time tan smuggling in an orange.

Strange thing.... if you smuggled in some heroine for personal use your hurting yourself. Possibly kill someone driving or mug someone but essentially yourself. Smuggle in an orange and they have us believe the entire Florida crop will be killed.

They answered it as honestly as they are required to answer it. The ATF jurisdiction on alcohol is the reason why wine companies don't have to list the allergens (like fish or egg that has been used to fine it) that it contains on the label as do food companies now have to.

But you're right that if alcohol beverage companies don't have to disclose what they are doing, then they don't owe us anything...we just have to pay the price of possibly getting sick. That's the source of my frustration.

Here's info on some oak barrel production: http://www.thebarrelmill.com/Articles/OakBarrel.html

Pay attention to the second to last paragraph.

gfp Enthusiast
They answered it as honestly as they are required to answer it. The ATF jurisdiction on alcohol is the reason why wine companies don't have to list the allergens (like fish or egg that has been used to fine it) that it contains on the label as do food companies now have to.

But you're right that if alcohol beverage companies don't have to disclose what they are doing, then they don't owe us anything...we just have to pay the price of possibly getting sick. That's the source of my frustration.

Here's info on some oak barrel production: http://www.thebarrelmill.com/Articles/OakBarrel.html

Pay attention to the second to last paragraph.

Lobita, no need for the link for me.... I believe you :D

Anyway, the problem is that stuff line finings or flavorings etc. can actually change source. So unless a company is REQUIRED to do it then they will always avoid it.

To be honest my take on liquors is that there are so many we can use as mixers and most taste pretty much the same after coke or mixers are added so why even take a risk?

I used to appreciate a single malt but again.. why take the risk if I can have an aged 12yr rum or reservada tequila instead?

For me the problem with liquors or alcohol in general is that its habit forming... (I don't mean in the addictive sense though this is obviously true).. I mean we tend to order automatically. (My local bar I don't even order on the days I think Oh, 'll just have a coke I usually get given my bottled cider before i even reach the bar.)

Anyway, what I mean is if you usually drink JD and coke then it tends to just come out.... unless you are in a cocktail bar then its not like going to a resto and spending time with a menu... I think we just tend to order 'our usual' whatever that might be.

So herein lies the problem, if these contain a little gluten (like tiny amount) we might not even react or if we do then well, we get over it BUT because of the nature of alcohol (essentially we buy a specific brand which is pretty much the same in each bar) if we do this even 1-2 a week we are constantly getting gluten.

If we eat in a resto then of course we take a risk, possibly a bigger one BUT unless we go to the same resto each week we are at least not serially (or should a say cerially) poisoning ourselves.

Its the same logic with fast food chains ... perhaps McDo fries are OK once in a while but what is the effect (other than the obvious health issues) eating them 1-2 a week?

Tim-n-VA Contributor

According to that article, they coat the grove that the lid goes into with wheat paste, not the entire barrel. Also, this is just one barrel source. The risk is there but hard to quantify.

gfp Enthusiast
According to that article, they coat the grove that the lid goes into with wheat paste, not the entire barrel. Also, this is just one barrel source. The risk is there but hard to quantify.

I think you misread it ??? I have to say its not crystal clear but the say the 'crozes' which they say are the "The grooves inside the oak barrel" .. I have to admit I looked at the pictures they had to clarify this as its not so clear...

It is a bit worrying though.... since they way they word it all makes it sound like a "traditional" way ... which might imply some of the higher end liquors would go for traditional and these are usually the 'safest' ones. (No artificial stuff and traditional seem to go hand in hand?)

larry mac Enthusiast
Spiced or the 'normal'. I think the issue here is with the spiced specifically?

I had the regular spiced rum (and Coke). I'm not that familar with Captain Morgan, in fact that was the first time I ever had any, but as far as I know all of their products are spiced. There's the traditional spiced rum, silver spiced rum, tattoo spiced rum, private stock spiced rum, and the parrot bay line which are tropical flavors with spices. I've never heard of an unspiced or unflavored Captain Morgan product.

I'd really just prefer a good traditional rum.

best regards, lm

Tim-n-VA Contributor
I think you misread it ??? I have to say its not crystal clear but the say the 'crozes' which they say are the "The grooves inside the oak barrel" .. I have to admit I looked at the pictures they had to clarify this as its not so clear...

I don't think I misread. They put the wheat paste into the crozes and then fit the head into the crozes.

gfp Enthusiast
I don't think I misread. They put the wheat paste into the crozes and then fit the head into the crozes.

Without the pictures its hard to explain but my understanding was the crozes are the 'upright' pieces of oak.

"After the toasting level is reached, the coopers are ready to finish assembling the oak barrel. The grooves inside the oak barrel (called crozes) receive an application of wheat flour paste (while the barrel is upright). After this the crozes have heads fitted in. Put into place with a large mallet, the final hooping is then complete."

However... (and google was challenged by this) I found

http://anythingwine.wordpress.com/2007/11/...2%80%93-part-2/

So it appears your correct and the crozes are the top of the staves (its clearer on this picture)... though honestly I find it hard to say definitively from the quote above... I read it 2-3 times and was not convinced either way....

lovegrov Collaborator

ALL Capt. Morgan rum is spiced.

richard

gfp Enthusiast
ALL Capt. Morgan rum is spiced.

richard

See there you go again ....

Product: Captain Morgan - Original Spiced Rum

Ingredients: Puerto Rican Rum, Spice and other natural flavors

Product: Captain Morgan - Parrot Bay Mango

Ingredients: Puerto Rican Rum, natural Mango flavors

Product: Captain Morgan - White Rum (38%)

Ingredients: Rum

Product: Captain Morgan - White Rum (40%)

Ingredients: Rum

All it takes is a little web search before you start spouting off.

As I've said before, try reading a bit.... you seem fixated to keep saying ad nausium all distilled alcohol is safe.

Repeating it will not make it true.

Regardless of the distillation process several distilled drinks ADD gluten containing ingredients.

You obviously don't have the education to follow the chemistry behind distillation but its not exactly grad school chemistry so that is not a criticism. I cannot explain it to someone with your education in chemistry is all.

You can at least read what different manufacturers have said about their own products. Instead of saying "Oh they are just saying that and repeating 'all distilled alcohol is safe' actually stop and wonder... why would they say its not safe if it is?

So ignoring your lack of chemistry, why can't you temper your misinformation.

Can you not use words like 'most' or 'probably'.

You are wrong about Captain Morgan, that's a simple thing to prove. Anyone can go to http://www.drinkiq.com and enter the manufacturer and label.

Pete Sawyer used to say "all maltodextrine is safe" until I pointed out that it's not. Now he says ... in the US and Canada.

He made a genuine mistake and when it was pointed out to him he rectified it... its just a normal mistake everyone makes.

On the other hand you have had evidence after evidence pointed out that some distilled drinks have gluten added.

You seem more concerned actually ignoring this and repeating the same tired old phrase instead of actually correcting yourself and more importantly what you tell others.

In a normal society people do make mistakes, people can be unsure. Look... right below.. I made one .. and Tim said he was sure so I looked and found he's correct.

Please step back ... you are wrong, but there is no need to be so upset.

5 minutes research would have stopped you being wrong about Captain Morgan.

The fact is it hardly matters for Captain Morgan, except that the white rum is probably a safer bet.

It does matter that you keep repeating "all distilled alcohol is safe".

People will read this and think its true, their particular favorite tipple might be one of the higher gluten ones.

Lisa Mentor

gfp - remember that "Ignore" setting? I suggest you use it, rather than be rude to other members. There are many acceptable methods to disagree, being insulting is not.

lovegrov Collaborator

gfp,

I DID go to the Captain Morgan's homepage (NOT Diego) and they did not list a white rum there. I did misread the Parrot Bay ingredients, mistaking "flavors" for "spices." So I in fact did go look this up before I posted.

I have always said that I believe that distilled alcohol WITHOUT gluten added after distilling is gluten-free. I do not claim that ALL distilled alcohol is gluten-free. You're putting words in my mouth once again. You claim there are several that do have gluten added but you don't help board members out by telling us what they are. Or do you actually know of any?

richard

mommida Enthusiast

:huh: Looks like we need a drink right NOW! :huh:

Aren't we all on the gluten free team here?

;) Let's find something that won't make some of us nearly crap our pants and beg to die. ;)

Cheers to mud in your eye! :D

• 3 weeks later...
ChristinaKs Newbie

Has anyone had a problem with the Parrot Bay flavored drinks? Is it the malt that makes it not gluten free? Apologies for my ignorance.

Christina

lovegrov Collaborator

"Has anyone had a problem with the Parrot Bay flavored drinks? Is it the malt that makes it not gluten free? Apologies for my ignorance."

Any alcohol that's malted is NOT gluten-free. Is Parrot Bay malted?

• 5 years later...
sschevychevelle Newbie

Here is the response I got back from Captain Morgan in December:

Thank you for taking time to contact Captain Morgan. Your feedback is important to us.

"FDA and TTB regulations permit Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum to be designated as gluten free.

We recommend that you speak to your physician before consuming to discuss any questions you may have in regard to your condition."

Whoever that representative is, they should try running for office. That is some impressive question avoiding! The FDA "permits" them to designated as GlutenFree. So IS it gluten free? Or are you just permitted to say it is??

GottaSki Mentor

Here is the response I got back from Captain Morgan in December:

Thank you for taking time to contact Captain Morgan. Your feedback is important to us.

"FDA and TTB regulations permit Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum to be designated as gluten free.

We recommend that you speak to your physician before consuming to discuss any questions you may have in regard to your condition."

Whoever that representative is, they should try running for office. That is some impressive question avoiding! The FDA "permits" them to designated as GlutenFree. So IS it gluten free? Or are you just permitted to say it is??

We will likely be hearing this response from many companies since the law in the US was finalized making 20 ppm (parts per million) the limit for something to be designated gluten-free.  

Items from zero ppm up to 20 ppm fall in the safe zone for the majority of people with Celiac Disease.

I haven't drank Captain's in some time, but did so safely several years ago -- can't recall how I determined it's gluten-free status back then.

Clear as mud.

sschevychevelle Newbie

So I just spoke with a woman named Sheri Reed who is a part of the Quality team for Diageo North America (i'm guessing the company that owns captain Morgan) regarding that email that I posted above and she clarified that they have to be careful with their wording because they can't guarantee that the companies that supply their flavoring ingredients take the necessary precautions to ensure that they are gluten-free. However, she said the final product is tested by independent agencies at the level of 10 ppm and it passes those tests.

notme Experienced

thank you for following up on this, myfavoritecarever, ( :) ) i seriously googlied this and found no answer what so ever.  lots of conjecture, but nothing definitive.  then i saw a squirrel and i don't drink captain morgan, so.........  ;)

Archived