This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Red Wine?

mysecretcurse

mysecretcurse Contributor

Hi everyone. I apologize if this has been talked about, I'm sure it has but I did a search and all I found was a thread talking about sulfites making some people sick.

I need to know of a common brand of gluten free red wine that could be picked up at any average american drugstore such as wallgreens or rite aid. I'm not much of a drinker and know nothing about wine, so I don't know what brands are gluten free, if any, or are they all? I would think they all would be but I've learned on this journey never to assume. As I said I'm not much of a drinker but I might like to try a little wine sometime soon so I figure I should start educating myself now before just heading to the store. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

ERR~ Hold yer horses I got something for ya B)

Organic. They use nothing but pure bentonite clay to 'fine' their wines. Still waiting to order some myself.

Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor

Drinkable wine would not be found at a drug store. I suggest a wine store or your local grocery store.

All wines are gluten free and as sickchick mentioned, organic wines should not have sulfites. Sulfites are not gluten related, though.

For a cool summer drink, you might want to try some 7-up, a healthy splash or red wine and a couple orange slices.

Good news... found my Frey Wine @ local Kroeger (Fred Meyer up in this neck of the woods) Seattle is full of wine and beer lovers so I lucked out and found about 4 different brands of Organic Wines to choose from!

Bought a bottle of Frey White Table Wine for tonight... will be back with full report! ;) lol

it was 10.49 a bottle :) not too shabby! the cab was 15.49 a bottle- next week :lol:

hippiegirl2001 Newbie

I buy Well Read Organic Red Wine at Trader Joes (not a drugstore but I thought I'd mention it anyway). I believe it is $5.99 but if not, it is not much more. No sulfites, of course.

Trader Joe's always has the best wine deals... hands down. :P

Sipping on my glass now- it's not 'dry' and it's not 'sweet' it's quite neutral in flavor. It's nice. I gotta remember to eat something LOL :lol::ph34r:

lovelove

Drinkable wine

It doesn't have to be good. It just has to be alcohol. I'm not one of those people who is really into wine for the taste, etc. I drink for a buzz and that's it. lol. I don't really care about sulfites if they aren't related to gluten. If all wines are gluten free then woo hoo is all I have to say! :lol: Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

babysteps Contributor
It doesn't have to be good. It just has to be alcohol. I'm not one of those people who is really into wine for the taste, etc. I drink for a buzz and that's it. lol. I don't really care about sulfites if they aren't related to gluten. If all wines are gluten free then woo hoo is all I have to say! :lol: Thanks!

All 'premium' wines should be gluten-free. Judging by posts on this site & stories from folks in the wine industry, some of the lower priced wines *may* have additional additives that *may* cause reactions in some folks. I would guess that if it is plain (not mulled or spiced) wine and comes in a bottle it's almost certainly gluten-free. I have had Trader Joe's wines with no reaction.

If you have other food sensitivities, you may want to pay attention to "fining" ingredients (stuff added to wine to help clarify it, theoretically this settles out and only the clear wine is bottled), or buy wine that says it is "unfined".

If you're looking for a gluten-free alcoholic beverage to unwind with or have with a meal, wine is my first choice! If you are looking for the cheapest gluten-free buzz, wine may not be your first choice - some plain distilled spirits might be cheaper (and I assume by buzz you don't mean binge - if I am wrong and you binge drink to get that buzz you might want to consider a change in behavior).

lol no I dont binge. I haven't had a drink in maybe 6 months or so? And that was red wine but it was before I was really learning about being gluten free and still was being glutened by random things at the time, so I'm not sure the effect it had on me, you know? I mostly am thinking about having some bottles of wine around because I will be entertaining company coming up in a few weeks here. Thanks again! :D

• 4 months later...
christian.808 Newbie
Drinkable wine would not be found at a drug store. I suggest a wine store or your local grocery store.

All wines are gluten free and as sickchick mentioned, organic wines should not have sulfites. Sulfites are not gluten related, though.

For a cool summer drink, you might want to try some 7-up, a healthy splash or red wine and a couple orange slices.

This is so true!

I always get my wine always be a Open Original Shared Link and I never had problems.

Just try it out and you will be satisfied :)

Archived