This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Alzheimer's

purple

purple Community Regular

Is there any relation with Alzheimer' and Celiac? I haven't seen anything on it yet. Thanks for any info. My sister's neighbor has it at age 55. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Is there any relation with Alzheimer' and Celiac? I haven't seen anything on it yet. Thanks for any info. My sister's neighbor has it at age 55. :(

Here are a couple of studies:

Mayo Clinic Discovers Potential Link Between Celiac Disease And Cognitive Decline

Open Original Shared Link

Alzheimer's and Celiac - are they related?

Many have severe memory and thought problems related to gluten. Whether these are Alzheimer's or whether they fall into another brain syndrome catagory is a question that may take a bit longer to answer and may depend on lots more research.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Here are a few more links:

Nancym Enthusiast

I've read more about Alzheimer's being related to diabetes, a problem with the brain metabolizing glucose. The glucose levels get too high and cause all kinds of damage.

If it were a loved one of mine, I'd try to convince them to stop eating sugars and starches and keep the carbs down.

Unfortunately, my Dad went through this before I knew anything about it. *sigh*

purple Community Regular

Wow, thanks guys! I am mailing off all the info I have to them today and I will include all these web sites and info too. They will appreciate it so much. The couple got married when she was 16 and now she's 55. He was a college professor and had to retire a few years early to take care of her, she was a nurse. I know that she was addicted to pop out of the can...so sorry for them. If you have any more info I will pass it along. Thanks again!

Nancym Enthusiast

If you google "type 3 diabetes alzheimer's" you should find lots of stuff. Or "Alzheimer's glucose".

Oh here's one for you! Very recent news:

Also, Dr. McCleary (neurologist) has a lot about brain things including dementia. I suggest reading his blog.

purple Community Regular
If you google "type 3 diabetes alzheimer's" you should find lots of stuff. Or "Alzheimer's glucose".

Oh here's one for you! Very recent news:

Also, Dr. McCleary (neurologist) has a lot about brain things including dementia. I suggest reading his blog.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

Lots of links between Alzheimers and low B12 as well. Try to read "Could it be B12?" by Sally Pacholok. Blood tests don't often detect low B12 and sometimes Drs don't even test for low B12 at all ! Or know how to interpret the result. Low normal with symptoms is not normal....

purple Community Regular
Lots of links between Alzheimers and low B12 as well. Try to read "Could it be B12?" by Sally Pacholok. Blood tests don't often detect low B12 and sometimes Drs don't even test for low B12 at all ! Or know how to interpret the result. Low normal with symptoms is not normal....

Amazing that a missing vitamin can play havoc in the body...Thanks for the info!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

And of course, celiacs with malabsorption problems have low B12, don't they?

And there's the link between celiac and diabetes, too.....

I'd be amazed if there were NO link between celiac and Alzheimers...

georgie Enthusiast
And of course, celiacs with malabsorption problems have low B12, don't they?

And there's the link between celiac and diabetes, too.....

I'd be amazed if there were NO link between celiac and Alzheimers...

Vitamin B12 and folate in relation to the development of Alzheimer

ravenwoodglass Mentor

They also fail to ask if a person is taking supplements with folate when they do test. Folate can give a false normal reading to the B12 even if the person is not able to utilize the vitamin at all. It can take a long time for blood B12 levels to go down and some doctors when they do test don't bother to look at what the reading was a year ago. My B12 levels got to just a few points above the lowest number on the scale, like 2. I was still being told it was in the normal range even though my tests showed that it was dropping from the 500's to the 300's and finally ended up at about 200 before a doctor even suggested a supplement.

I wonder about those plaques they found also and whether they have any relation to the brain lesions that they find in some of us.

Archived