This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potatoe Chip Reaction!

mela14

mela14 Enthusiast

Yestersay was the day from hell!

I am moving and was doing a lot of running around with last minute things My flight is today at 5:00pm. I had some blood drawn yesterday and thought is was safe to eat some Lays Potatoe chips........I had the plain ones that said potatoes, cottonseed,safflower and/or sunflower, oil, salt. A half hour later I felt sick...racing heart, dizzy, trembling, sour tummy, soreness and then the bloating. I felt really weak and felt as if I need to lay down...but the moving truck was here and that was not an option.

For whatever reasons we got stuck going to dinner to a place we normally go adn thought it would be ok. I could hardly eat because I wsa so sore and swollen.....but pulled myself together to go anyway. I had a plain salad ...no dressing (very little) white rice (very little) and plain grilled chicken...... after 2 bites it didn't taste right and I new they added some sort of seasoning so I didn't eat it! by the time we left to go the pain was worse along with the bloating and then a headache started! I Took extras trength mylanta to help with the gas......the one that is supposedly gluten-free. I checked the labels on all of them and got his one and it has worked ok in the past.

Needless to say I am soooooooo sick today and soooooo sore and need to pull myself together for this flight and trip ahead of me. I have to do it solo with my dog as my husband is driving! What timing!

What's the story with the Lays chips? I thought the were safe. could i have reacted to the oils in them or do you think they were contaminated? Not sure what o think anymore....but if it hadn't been for the chips I think I could have handled the dinner a little better. It was like adding salt to a wound!

I'm sick of all this! I feel like i want to close myself in my room and not go anywhere... I could sleep adn was up a few times during th night partly because of my gut and partly because of sinus allergy headache! uuuuuuuuugghhhhhhhhhh

any thoughts on the chips???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mela14 Enthusiast

just checking to see if this post got on. yesterday it did not!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

The chips are manufactured in the same facility as gluten containing products. They throughly wash in between though. There is a risk for cross contamination. Last time that I checked there were certain chips actually made on a dedicated gluten-free line. If you had a reaction though do not eat them. I can have the chips with no problem at all and I am very sensitive to gluten however I know people that have had reactions.

And your post did get on yesterday under the product section. :D

darlindeb25 Collaborator
:o i have never reacted to lays chips--i guess i am maybe one of the lucky ones that find the bag that is safe--it does worry me though, cause i have always eaten them and felt safe--now i dont know anymore--i do react very quickly to gluten and they have never bothered me---mela--are you moving to new jersey now--what a time to leave warm florida for snow covered jersey :lol: good luck mela---deb
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I used to eat lays but I got into a few bad batch which obviously had gluten and got really sick. I don't trust them so I don't eat them!

Lays = Blah

mela14 Enthusiast

thanks guys................

I'll never eat those chips again!!! I guess I am ultra sensitive. I am so depressed and tired with all this. I just had a banana to settle my tummy .They seem to like me ...thank god! my husband is leaving the house with the truck in a little while and he'll be taking the lap top. sooooooo I won't be on for a while. I'll be flying this afternoon so I'll be at JFK tonight around 8:30 if all goes according to schedule! Thanks for the heads up on the snow Deb...but I gotta tell you...it will be a welcome change from all the mold and allergies right now! I know that when April rolls around I'll be dealing with the allergies up there!

Thanks for your help guys. It had to be the Lays yesterday. It was THE only thing I ate and I got sick immediately after.

griffithkat Newbie

I tried eating Lays. It only took like 10 minutes and they made me sick. I will never eat them again.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator
:o i have never reacted to lays chips--i guess i am maybe one of the lucky ones that find the bag that is safe--it does worry me though, cause i have always eaten them and felt safe--now i dont know anymore--i do react very quickly to gluten and they have never bothered me---mela--are you moving to new jersey now--what a time to leave warm florida for snow covered jersey :lol: good luck mela---deb

I, like Deb, don't react to them, but I'm concerned by all this talk of reactions. Are there any....safer brands that someone could recommend?--ones that aren't organic and found in a healthfood store, that is :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I, as well, do not react to these chips. They have some chips on a dedicated gluten-free line as well. Could there be a possibility of something else in the chips causing a reaction other then a gluten reaction that just everybody does not react to such as MSG(found in alot of chips) or stuff like that? It is concerning to see so many people reacting to these chips and I'm trying to see if there is a correlation with anything other then gluten. I do realize that for some of their chips there are risks for contamination so I am not trying to say it's not a gluten reaction because I only know how I feel not how all of you feel. I just have a theory that maybe it could be other then gluten? Tell me what you think about that

Maggie1956 Rookie

For me, it's not just Lay's brand chips anymore. I can't eat any brand packaged chips and I steer clear of potato as much as possible too. I haven't been able to eat potato for over a year without getting a lot of pain and bloating. :angry:

Is the reaction just with Lay's or with other brands too?

We can get sweet potato chips here in Oz. Maybe they're better (?) :huh:

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I never eat them due to the cross-contamination.

dperk Rookie

I've noticed a reaction to potatoe chips and all potatoes. I haven't been able to eat potatoes for months. So is it potatoes, or some cross contamination with the potatoe chips? I just know that I am staying away from potatoe chips after having stomach trouble shortly after eating them (tried it several times, too). And the stomach pains/bloating lasted for about half a day.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

The only chips I eat are Humpty Dumpty Corn Chips. I eat them all the time with Old EL Paso salsa and I have never reacted to either.

I have never reacted to Humpty Dumpty Salt and Vinegar or Humpty Dumpty Ketchup but I haven't had those in months (Just a healthy choice I guess!)

abby82 Rookie

I have a question for voteforpresbush04....do you remember what lays chips were made on dedicated gluten-free lines? I just started the gluten-free diet about 5 days ago and I have been eating them. I havent had any problems but I want to be as gluten free as I can get! I usually eat the baked lays, ruffles and tostitos. Thanks!

celiac3270 Collaborator

Richard (lovegrov) said that when he last called the Lays Classic, Ruffles, and I can't remember which other ones--were made on dedicated lines--according to a dietician from FritoLays--I don't think that the Baked Lays were on that list.

This was in a different potato chip post about reactions....

billfl Newbie

I eat "Tropical Chips", which are made from plantains....they are 100% natural and no preservatives (so it says on the package). Plantains look like bananas, but have to be cooked before eating. The ingredients list says that they are cooked in sunflower oil and/or rice bran oil and/or corn oil. They are available in "regular" stores.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Utz brand has gluten-free chips. They are just potatos, salt, and oil (from what I remember since I only eatthem when up north or when we have them shpped down here.).

They are yummie, too.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

abby82-Classic,Ruffles, and Staxx are made on gluten free lines now is what I have heard from various sources and I haven't got sick from them either and I am very sensitive to them so I consider them safe. Richard also has said that from a Lay's dietician he heard they were also on a dedicated line and that is not the first time I have heard that. On the Staxx chips they have "this product is naturally free of gluten" on the side too.

megzmc3611 Rookie

Has anyone had a bad reaction to Tostitos (Frito-lay brand) and or know if they are produced on a dedicated line??

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I have never had a reaction to the Tostitos. I have never had a reaction to the gluten free stuff from frito lay. Not sure if they are made on a dedicated line.

kabowman Explorer

Ruffles has a new kind of chip out and I have not had too many problems with those and I am pretty sensitive. They are Ruffles Sea Salted Reduced Fat and you can find them in the health food section of the regular grocery store - they are made with sunflower oil. Also, I can go for weeks without finding them so now, when they do get them in, I will buy 4-5 bags at a time.

-Kate

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

kabowman-I know which chips you are talking about. They are really good and they are alot healthier for you to because of the ingredients yet they have the same taste as other Ruffles. I have not had a reaction to those either :D

lovegrov Collaborator

At last report Tostitios were not made on dedicated lines.

richard

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I recall severall times having pain in my intestines while munching Lays plain potatoe chips and drinking pepsi while traveling in a car. Just pain though, no diarrhea and other celiac symptoms. First I was thinking about the cross-contamination with Lays. But a couple of days ago I figured out though, that some kinds of sugars give me pain in my intestines. I posted it on another thread already. So I tried the same Lays plain potatoe chips with water and I didn't have problems anymore.

I think, once in a while you could catch a bag with gluten though, due to the cross-contamination. So be carefull, guys.

Ah, another thing, I recall reading a couple of years ago. It just popped in my head. The stress-top-10-list on things that can cause you a lot of stress. On number one was: the death of your spouse. And I think number 4 of this hitlist was: moving. And stress can make symptoms of celiac disease worse or sometimes even trigger this disease. So you might want to consider that, additionally, probably. I don't know, just thought, I share this. Mel, I hope you're better. Hey, you move to New Jersey? I live in PA.

Hugs, Stef

• 3 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

mela14 -- Hi I suffer from the same thing. NO potatoes at all anymore!!!

I was told by a nurse that [some of us] can NOT process RICE, CORN & POTATOES. Because it's some sort of carb. I found this to be true following my last flare up.

If you notice my profile following understanding the celiac illness I was faced with - I instantly went on a strict GLUTEN FREE - DAIRY FREE strick diet. It only took me a few months to feel better, for 3 or 4 years and got healhty. It worked, however; I ate rice, corn and potatoes (+ rice cakes & gourmet veggie Tarra chips, yummy, Fredos corn chips too). Then following unbelieveable major stress I had a big bad fare up, but that is when I developed this thyroid problem that is now making me super ill.

A nurse turned me on to a great book -- "BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE - Intestinal Health Though Diet - by ELAINE GOTTSCHALL B.A., M.Sc." You can find it in Amazon or online Barns & Noble. It was helpful for me to understand more about Celica Disease. It's worth reading, in addition she lists some really good yummy recipes.

NOTE: I'm dairy intolerent since birth. I can't do the dairy recipes. This encludes EGGS too! So I have the untimate challange with all of this, and now with my thyroid out of whack and NOT on thyroid meds (yet) I'm staying away from iodine producing foods as well. (I have an appointment with the thyroid doc next week.) I'm hyperthyroid one minute and hypo the next. I think my body is try to balance itself out but might have produced another nodule, or the treatment didn't burn it off?

mela14 - Try to stay away from the potatoes of all kind and see if that will help. Oh and get the book too. The nurse told me once I got better, after following the book direction, try to reintroduce these different foods and through process of elimination slowly.

Good Luck -- I hope this helps and God Bless you!

Archived