This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Potatoe Chip Reaction!

mela14

skbird Contributor

Interesting thread. I have been unable to eat potatoes for nearly 6 years now. I get reactions to them and all other nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, kava kava, etc) that are similar to my reaction to gluten - constipated, not diahrrea. Feels like my stomach and intestines are inflamed and hurt like they are very sunburned. Takes a couple of days to go away. Also migraines.

I was glutened recently and I couldn't tell if it was gluten or nigthshade ingestion at first. But then reviewed better what I ate and figured it out.

The only connection I have found is in the list on the Entero Lab web site - aparantly nightshade foods stimulate the immune reaction, and since gluten stimulates the auto-immune reaction, I wonder if there's a common ground here for more people. It's hard to find info about nightshade reactions though so I can't really explain why it happens, as I can a gluten reaction. Suffice to say it is not fun and makes me very ill.

Anyway, so it's possible it is the potato in the chips. I eat Terra chips now - the mixed veggie kind and the sweet potato kind, as sweet potato is not related to regular potato.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mela14 Enthusiast

Thanks for all your responses. I wish I could say that I felt better..........but I just don't. Between the fatigue, muscle pain, racing heart and of course the gut pain I don't know what to do to feel better.

I went to Columbia Presbyterian yesterday and saw Ann Lee and Dr Susie Lee. Both very knowledgable. I felt I was in good hands. A lot was discussed and we are going to do an endoscopy this friday morning at the hospital.

At first Dr Lee wanted me to do a Gluten challenge but I told her that I don't want to eat gluten for 2 weeks knowing how sick I could get. We decided to take a look inside even though I have been attempting gluten-free for about 4 months. I know this problem has been going on for a long time so maybe she will be abel to see something. At first I didn't want to do it because I fear them finding nothing and then appearing like a lunatic. Then I rationalized with myself. I feel better when I don't eat gluten. So regardless of what the biopsy shows I will not be going back to it. The dr also said that if I was not celiac it could be that being gluten-free just helped as it does so many other things like Crohn's....

So far being gluten-free has not been the cure all I dreamed of. So many other things bother me and it has been so hard to figure out. I've discovered that potatoes do me in ...sweet potatoes too! I used to always blamed it on something else that I had with the meal but then tried just eating a sweet potatoe and nothing else. Well 20 minutes later I was sooooooo sick. It happened a few times in one week and I was convinced! I no longer eat potatoes and have actually been avoiding all grains.

Ann Lee is the nutrionist and was more convinced than dr Lee that I had celiac. she immediately gave me info and tried to help with my diet. Today was an awful day....I took a Garlic supplement that I checked out and thought was safe. I took it on mon and seemed fine. Well today it did me in. my gut has been raw and burning all day....and not to be graphinc but something must have inflamed my nerve endings because after a BM the burning intensified and got worse all day. I feel like someone poured battery acid on me!

Needless to say...my appetite is always good and i had a nice dinner. Now I am so bloated and still suffering.

let's see what happens fri.

thanks,

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

mela14 -- I also had a total hysterectomy about 10 years ago at a very young age (30's) I took hormone replacement through a little patch I wore on my fanny or tummy. I also had many gyno surgeries and suffered my entire life with endometriosis too. My Gyno doc by accident gave me a double dose of patches I wore for about a month prior to >>> I peeled off the patch at the same time I came down with my very first violent attack of celiac sprue 4-year ago and at the same time was under the most unbelieveable stress a human being can endure.

I have done some research that women who are post total hysterectomy have a higher rate of thyroid problem then any other illness. My gyno doc (a lady) said it's my thyroid making me ill giving me sprue. My throid doc (a lady) doesn't agree. It can all be confusing. We have to some how tune in and listen to our bodies I guess?

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? What are your other symptons? I felt like a motor was running when I was horizontal, hot or cold hyper or slow at times...

I can't do Garlic supplement it sets me over the edge too. If you would like I will share with you some of my symtons too. Just let me know.

Sending you well wishes!

Archived