This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hard Cider

BelievinMiracles

BelievinMiracles Explorer

Anyone know of yummy gluten free hard cider??? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Woodchuck ciders are gluten-free. I like the Granny Smith one the best.

DarkIvy Explorer

I vote Woodchuck, too.

I had no idea it was gluten free for the longest time, too. My boyfriend buys it a lot, and I just assumed it would have gluten in it, so I never went anywhere near it. One day he decided to read the label and he said "Hey, Liz, this stuff is gluten-free!"

It says so right on the bottle, haha.

Well now at least I can pretend to be drinking beer with all my friends, lol. I like both the original and the Granny Smith, but the Granny Smith is a lot more tart, so if you're not a big fan of tart, I'd stick to the original. The bf hates the Granny Smith stuff, so I ended up having to drink the rest of his six pack. Cryin' shame ;)

larry mac Enthusiast

There's also Woodpecker and Hornsby's. Pear and rasberry flavos too. Hard apple cider just seems too white zinfidel for me. It's on the sweet side.

best regards, lm

ravenwoodglass Mentor
There's also Woodpecker and Hornsby's. Pear and rasberry flavos too. Hard apple cider just seems too white zinfidel for me. It's on the sweet side.

best regards, lm

Do check on the Hornsby's I couldn't find their website, if they have one, but I did find an awful lot of sites stating that it is not safe for us. If I can find anything from the actual company I will post back.

maddycat Contributor

Try Strongbow- it is made in Great Britain, I think. It is a dry cider, so not nearly as sweet as Woodchuck.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I just bought a hard cider it says gluten free on the label. I will have to see what it is. Also most orchard hard ciders are going to be alright as they are just apple ciders. At the end of this month we are going to take a trip to a local orchard with their own cider and hard cider. YUM

Here is the letter from the makers of Hornsby

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your interest in Hornsbys.

In response to your inquiry, this product does contain a trace amount of barley, therefore they contain trace amounts of gluten.

We hope this information is helpful and appreciate you giving us this opportunity to answer your question. It is our further hope you can continue to enjoy our fine products for many more years to come.

Sincerely,

Hornsbys

Consumer Information Center

Case ID#: 291171

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Open Original Shared Link is gluten free. It tastes alright, very mild.
NJKen Rookie

I like Doc's Hard Pear Cider. The same brand also has apple and framboise (raspberry/apple).

Open Original Shared Link

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Trader Joe's has two different hard ciders - I've tried them both and like them very much. Also, they're labeled gluten-free. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Zathras Newbie

I just phoned Fish Brewing Company in Olympia Washington....They make two fantastic ciders under the Spire's Label: An apple hard cider and a pear hard cider. Both are wonderful - smooth and flavorful, but not too sweet. I have yet to try their Dark & Dry.... The rep said that their ciders had been tested by the University of Neb and are all gluten free. YEAH! Open Original Shared Link

Cheers! :D

• 1 month later...
motoko Newbie

I'm a big fan of Doc's, Original Sin and Strongbow - Woodchuck is a little on the sweet side for me.

A warning: I just recently tried J.K. Scrumpy's, which, despite being labeled gluten-free seems to have caused a massive reaction - two-hour food coma and much brain fog. This was on a day when everything else I consumed was made by me in my own kitchen, except for a bottle of Bard's beer, which I've been drinking happily for some time. I don't have any other known food allergies, so I'm a bit perplexed.

Also, Hornsby's is definitely not ok - I'm not the most super sensitive, but one bottle definitely set me off when I drank it without checking first thinking "it's cider, it'll be fine".

• 2 months later...
alishell Newbie
Anyone know of yummy gluten free hard cider??? :)

My favorite is defintely Blackthorn Cider-it is a dry cider and great for those who dislike a dry cider. I am also a beer fan and since I am not a fan of the gluten free beers on the market it seems to satisfy my craving.

Also a note on Hornsbys cider NOT A GOOD IDEA I drank a couple one night and woke up at 3am with huge stomach cramps and reflux(does anyone else get these symptoms?). I have also heard the Spires Cider is great.

alishell Newbie
My favorite is defintely Blackthorn Cider-it is a dry cider and great for those who dislike a sweet cider. I am also a beer fan and since I am not a fan of the gluten free beers on the market it seems to satisfy my craving.

Also a note on Hornsbys cider NOT A GOOD IDEA I drank a couple one night and woke up at 3am with huge stomach cramps and reflux(does anyone else get these symptoms?). I have also heard the Spires Cider is great.

• 5 months later...
JK'S Scrumpy Newbie
I'm a big fan of Doc's, Original Sin and Strongbow - Woodchuck is a little on the sweet side for me.

A warning: I just recently tried J.K. Scrumpy's, which, despite being labeled gluten-free seems to have caused a massive reaction - two-hour food coma and much brain fog. This was on a day when everything else I consumed was made by me in my own kitchen, except for a bottle of Bard's beer, which I've been drinking happily for some time. I don't have any other known food allergies, so I'm a bit perplexed.

Also, Hornsby's is definitely not ok - I'm not the most super sensitive, but one bottle definitely set me off when I drank it without checking first thinking "it's cider, it'll be fine".

Hello All,

Despite the post about our JK'S Scrumpy cider I would like to assure you that it is naturally Gluten Free. The cider is made At Almar Orchard in Flushing MI. It is made only from apples grown organically on that Orchard. Two ingredients Apple Juice and Yeast.

Bruce Wright

www.organicscrumpy.com

buffettbride Enthusiast

Hubby is a Strongbow drinker, through and through.

• 4 months later...
nijocamus Newbie

Hi All -

Just an addition to the safe hard ciders listing for those in the pacific northwest:

I just spoke to Ryan at the Edgefield Brewery - who had spoken directly with Jennifer at the Edgefield winery -- and he told me that the Edgefield Hard Cider sold at the McMenamins pubs should be gluten free, although they have not had it tested. Specifically, the ingredients list for the cider is clean - apples, yeast, and a clay-based clarifier that is filtered out. Also, the hard cider is made at the winery, not the brewery, and thus there should be no cross contamination issues with barley, rye, etc..

I note that a manager at a McMenamins gave me conflicting information (2nd hand, through a sever), with no reasoning provided. Ryan is going to contact this manager just to double check and resolve the conflict and get back to me. When he does, I will update this.

Also, for other ciders, I found the following link:

Open Original Shared Link

And thanks for all your posts people! I am very new to this gluten-free thing, and you have saved me a lot of phone calls! Thanks!!

Nijocamus

• 1 month later...
slowgawd Newbie

not to add another layer of complexity to the throes of celiac, but apples historically have been laced with pesticides, much less so in European countries, but look into Samuel Smiths Organic cider. You can feel good about the ecology/farming practices and enjoy Gluten Free Cider!

Archived