This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Smoking

msmini14

mushroom Proficient
My hubby will be gone for 5 days and I'm really SCARED it might be the time I waver...........

YOU WILL NOT WAVER!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OK........ B) she says in quivery voice :blink:

just need to come up and type

it does help

just made a big decison w/o a puff.............will write more later when i need to share.

so glad your all here

jerseyangel Proficient
OK........ B) she says in quivery voice :blink:

just need to come up and type

it does help

just made a big decison w/o a puff.............will write more later when i need to share.

so glad your all here

Hang on, Miss Judith!! We're all here for you :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Hang on, Miss Judith!! We're all here for you :D

thanks...........just decided to attend my 50th HS class reunion in June in Ohio

ck'd on tickets and will make the reservations tomorrow after i hear from my brother.

This is the lady who has been kinds :ph34r: agoraphobic of late.............. :o skerrt of me own shadow I'm telln' ya all.

Where did this 'strong, opinionated, professional woman go ? '

Seems I pitched my self esteem along with me cigs........could it be?????

guess I'd better get on the 'get a life' train or it will pass me by

thanks guys.

kenlove Rising Star

I'm supposed to be traveling now too. Was supposed to be gone in India for 2 months and will have to leave as soon as health permits. My wife is really fearful that I'll start again once I"m alone and on the road. I told her NO WAY -- I will never forget the pain of coughing so hard (from pneumonia) that I broke a rib. It may not been from smoking but geeze what a difference after a few weeks.

Nope you dont have to be scared and you cant waver -- Too many of us looking up to you <G>!

Ken,

So happy for you

Maybe more folks will come on and chime in

I do find it so helpful to know i have some company while doing this.

My hubby will be gone for 5 days and I'm really SCARED it might be the time I waver...........

I'll keep posting when or if I have the urge.........

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I'm supposed to be traveling now too. Was supposed to be gone in India for 2 months and will have to leave as soon as health permits.

now that's really something to be looming ahead of you. Thanks for sharing. Makes my trip seem like a walk around the circle. Travel now just isn't what it used to be but INDIA.........I'm impressed.

My wife is really fearful that I'll start again once I"m alone and on the road. I told her NO WAY -- I will never forget the pain of coughing so hard (from pneumonia) that I broke a rib. It may not been from smoking but geeze what a difference after a few weeks.

stupid it takes getting so sick to stop this habit. I was so sick i couldn't use the inhalor for asmatic bronchitis.........so I keep that in the front of my mind.

Nope you don't have to be scared and you cant waver -- Too many of us looking up to you <G>!

Ah thanks Ken--we'll do this.

Judy

Jestgar Rising Star

Well, I think all y'all are amazing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

DOing Ag research I dont travel as much as when I was a news photographer going to places where everyone smoked all the time!

Your right, too bad we have to be so miserable before we can wake up and be better -- I can really understand now why people become anti-smoking zealots. I had only quit once before when I was in the hospital for 2 months in Japan. Back was out and it took that long before i could walk. They would have pushed me on a cart twice a day so I could go smoke in the special room but it seemed so crazy -- especially since it took 5 little nurses to move me <G>

That lasted 6 months until I went back to Japan. At least most of my friends there stopped.

We will be successful!

mushroom Proficient
Your right, too bad we have to be so miserable before we can wake up and be better

We will be successful!

Yep, that was me, too. Could barely climb the flight of stairs to go to bed, I was so short of breath. Of course I had been living right next to a CA freeway, too, before they started putting catalytic converters in cars. Started running (well, a slow lumbering jog) after I quit to try and clean my lungs out. It was a struggle, but I actually got up to a mile on a high school track. But I have slipped a lot, lung-wise. What made me quit was not the fear of dying, but of living with emphysema. That was the stick at my back; I didn't need a carrot. Now have "mild to moderate" COPD

I have absolute faith in you all that you will make it, because the alternative is not pretty :(

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Now have "mild to moderate" COPD

I have absolute faith in you all that you will make it, because the alternative is not pretty :(

Thanks Ken

Mushroom.......this is the sentence that i keep thinking of.

Watched my Dad go through this so i should truly know better.

I get so much coming to this thread..........thanks

Judy

kenlove Rising Star

Yeah

it's not the fear of dying but the fear of living in misery with emphysema or something else thats helped me to QUIT.

Breaking my rib from coughing from pneumonia that everyone thought was from smoking ...I never want to deal with the pain again....

Wish my folks had quit when I was young and impressionable instead of when I had my own kids. --

Thanks Ken

Mushroom.......this is the sentence that i keep thinking of.

Watched my Dad go through this so i should truly know better.

I get so much coming to this thread..........thanks

Judy

msmini14 Enthusiast
Ken,

So happy for you

Maybe more folks will come on and chime in

I do find it so helpful to know i have some company while doing this.

I'll keep posting when or if I have the urge.........

Judy

Dont give up, I know how you feel! My DH has been gone since last Sunday and will not return until this Saturday. I know, I wanted to smoke too when he had to leave the last time, I had only been smoke free for a week. I thought oh great now I am alone, all I want is my other friend the cig.

Well he had to leave again (he is in the Marines and travels a lot) and I still had that thought. I know it will fade away one day.

You can do this =)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Judy

Dont give up, I know how you feel!

You can do this =)

Thanks Jen and Ken

You both have planted the right 'seeds' for thought.

This has been the WORST day for stress since it quit. Tried for 2 hrs to book the flight........on phone with airline, credit card company, waiting for Dr to call in prescription for throbbing earache........

Jen, your right when I'm angry I really am conditioned to have one. If i was still smoking i would have had a pack by now sitting here at the computer trying to get this done.

I still have the open pack and the 2 new packs on top of the computer............and................i've decided that they need to go. It was so close today. I'd never go out and buy some but they were right here.............

This is a big step for me................now I'm putting the open pack under the water focut and the 2 sealed packs in the freezer.................I KNOW i should pitch them but I'll get there.

thanks you guys.

Jen let's stay strong while our hubbies are away. Usually i'm great while he's away..........get into lots of projects and set my own schedule but this time I'm just not myself ..........

the sun is shinning finally after 5 days of rain.

going to run an errand and will be back soon.

what a dork i am.........see, how much i use this thread. ;)

msmini14 Enthusiast
Thanks Jen and Ken

You both have planted the right 'seeds' for thought.

This has been the WORST day for stress since it quit. Tried for 2 hrs to book the flight........on phone with airline, credit card company, waiting for Dr to call in prescription for throbbing earache........

Jen, your right when I'm angry I really am conditioned to have one. If i was still smoking i would have had a pack by now sitting here at the computer trying to get this done.

I still have the open pack and the 2 new packs on top of the computer............and................i've decided that they need to go. It was so close today. I'd never go out and buy some but they were right here.............

This is a big step for me................now I'm putting the open pack under the water focut and the 2 sealed packs in the freezer.................I KNOW i should pitch them but I'll get there.

thanks you guys.

Jen let's stay strong while our hubbies are away. Usually i'm great while he's away..........get into lots of projects and set my own schedule but this time I'm just not myself ..........

the sun is shinning finally after 5 days of rain.

going to run an errand and will be back soon.

what a dork i am.........see, how much i use this thread. ;)

That is why this thread is here for support. I dont know what I would do if I didnt have this to fall back on for Celiac.

I guess when you are ready to toss those packs you will. I did with my last pack, oh it was hard. I would have smoked them if I didnt get rid of them lol. So I have to say woot for you, very strong will power. Maybe you should let it go... you know in the back of your mind they are in your house and you can easily get one. So you are constantly fighting with that feeling, just a thought of mine.

I understand the anger issue, I would have smoked a bunch too. Or if I was stuck in traffic my god I could smoke 3 cigs every 45 min to an hour. When I smoked I would start to worry on Sunday how my body will withdrawl when I go back to work on Monday lol because I could smoke when ever I wanted over the weekend. ha I used to smoke 3-4 cigs on my lunch break which was only an hour.

I am glad this thread has been a help.

Ken I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how everything is going. Even if it is just a rant, let it out. It is important.

I had to stop chewing gum because it is just causing me way to much bloating and gas, it is tough. I have been chewing gum like crazy and I dont have that anymore. Think I might buy some straws lol.

Talk to you all soon

kenlove Rising Star

WOW, you got more nerve than me!

No way could I do that or be that tempted. Today I thought twice about a cigar I found on my desk from a friend having a baby.

Looked it and then poked a hole in and dumped it in the trash covered it with all the junk I could find. Now I just need to get rid of the pipe tobacco sitting 10 feet from me!!

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks much, I can really understand why people become antismoking zealots -- everyplace I went today, post office, store, grand daughters school -- someone was in the parking lot smoking. At first I wanted to breath it and remember what it was like and then I wanted to get away from it -- really does stink --

take care

Ken I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how everything is going. Even if it is just a rant, let it out. It is important.
Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Funny, i noticed every smoker today also

Guess i neve looked before.

stupid ---------to have them so close is the real point.

good luck tomorrow.

judy

kenlove Rising Star

You too --

a day like today makes me want to stay in! ;)

Funny, i noticed every smoker today also

Guess i neve looked before.

stupid ---------to have them so close is the real point.

good luck tomorrow.

judy

ranger Enthusiast

Day 7 and I'm still here and doing well. I've had a couple of minor slipups, but overall good. I'm beginning to look at cigs like wheat - not tempted at all because it's like poison to my system. And, to you girls, while I understand the stress of being apart from your loved ones, in my case, it's the stress of being with my loved one that is driving me crazy!

But, some good news. About 3 years ago, I was given a script for an inhaler called Advair for COPD. I never really checked it out like I would have for any other meds - maybe because it wasn't a pill or a shot. Who knows? It wasn't untill last year that I looked into it ( after I got dx'd with Candida), and realized it was a steroid! Duh. So I started to wean my self off it. First from twice to once a day, then cut the dose from 250/100 to 100/50, then started to use it every other day where I was till last week. And it was hard! The first day off wasn't to bad, but by the next day, I couldn't funtion without it. I couldn't even take a shower till I used it Well, people, I have used my inhaler

ONCE in the last 7 days! I am amazed and astouned to find such quick rewards, and I love you all for your encouragement and help. I tried quitnet, but it just got too big and I felt lost. Celiac.com keeps on saving my life1

Susan

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Day 7 and I'm still here and doing well. GREAT NEWS SO PROUD OF YOU

it's the stress of being with my loved one that is driving me crazy!SUSAN :lol:

But, some good news. About 3 years ago, I was given a script for an inhaler called Advair for COPD.

fORGOT THIS HAD STERIODS.........NO WONDER I WAS SO SHAKY WHEN I WAS QUITTING SMOKING.

I WENT ON THIS AT THE SAME TIME WITH ANOTHER INSTANT INHALOR

SEE WHAT ALL WE LEARN.

Susan

LEARNED ANOTHER THING TODAY FROM MY BUDDIES HERE.

msmini14 Enthusiast

How is everyone doing today? :D

haha I notice the smokers now too, out in public, in their cars and I just think wow I used to be one of them. I went to Home Depot the other day and this guy was smoking right next to all the propane were it says caution flamable, I am thinking you really shouldnt be there.

I promised myself I wont be a rude non smoker, I refuse to do that. I wish people would be more considerate though. If I was out in public I would go to an area where no one was around to smoke so it didnt bother anyone. If a kid walked by I would cuff my cig because I didnt think it was right for them to see it. My dh doesnt smoke but he used to go outside with me when I did and all I could do was try to wave the smoke from him even though it was no where near him lol.

SUSAN we are so very proud of you! Not smoking is one of the hardest things you will probably ever accomplish. The longer you go the more strength you will have, you will be so proud. hehehe I wasnt even quit for a day and I was dancing around :lol:

At first I wanted to breath it and remember what it was like and then I wanted to get away from it -- really does stink --

lol Ken, I find myself doing the same thing. It almost seems like it is going to be refreshing but it isnt.

Just remember - I only feel this way because I smoked not because I quit.

kenlove Rising Star

I keep thinking of the positive changes as I head into the 4th week. I may have stopped because of a broken rib and coughing

from pneumonia but sure am glad.. its like all of a sudden I can breath through my nose without taking actifed or sudefed or something. KInd of surprises me to get this much air, especially since we have some problems with volcano here.

The number of friends who noticed I dont have a pipe in my mouth all the time is surprising too. Many of them who still smoke

are very encouraging about quitting -- until I say why dont you..Just not ready is the reply i get which is the same one I would give -- until a month ago.

I promised myself I wont be a rude non smoker, I refuse to do that. I wish people would be more considerate though.

OH is this TRUE! -- one exception here in hawaii is the kids who have their car radios on so loud that the whole street vibrates.

If they smoke -- then I got an excuse to be rude <_<

msmini14 Enthusiast

Your Quit Date is: Friday, March 20, 2009 at 6:00:00 AM

Test Time Smoke-Free: 48 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 977

Lifetime Saved: 7 days, 11 hours

Money Saved: $176.40

QuitTipofTheDay!

H.A.L.T.

Remember the acronym: H.A.L.T. When you allow yourself to become too HUNGRY, ANGRY, LONELY and/or TIRED, odds are that the urge to smoke will appear and/or increase. If you're experiencing a sudden craving for a cigarette, ask yourself if you're HUNGRY. If you are, eat something other than cigarette smoke. ANGRY or LONELY? Call someone and vent, or talk to a coworker or your partner. If TIRED, never underestimate the therapeutic value of a nap or a good night's sleep. You're now learning how to live a smoke-free life.

I received an email this morning from quitnet and I thought I would share it with everyone. I dont go to that site for support, I just like seeing how many cigarettes I havent smoked and how much money I have saved lol. It is motivating.

Hope everyone is doing good! B)

kenlove Rising Star

Sure adds up --

We've had such trouble with the vog (smoke from the volcano) that it feels like I"m smoking anyway....

today is clear and sunny for the first time in weeks.

msmini14 Enthusiast

Glad to hear it is clearing up for you. That must be scary at the same time lol.

Archived