This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free In Maine And Nh

phightin phils

phightin phils Rookie

My wife, who is celiac, and I recently vacationed in Maine, and travelled thru NH. Other than the typical favorable experiences at Outback, we had 3 good experiences at local eateries...

Annello's Pastries, Wells, ME: We got there 15 minutes before they closed. My wife loved the Pumpkin Puffs and the Cheese Rolls (she said they were the softest gluten-free rolls she's ever had). We will be ordering from them.

Galyn's Restaurant, Bar Harbor: We emailed owner Gail ahead of time, and she sent us a list of all menu items with gluten. When we got there, Gail talked to us, and then gave instructions to our server and the kitchen. Wonderful meals included Whole lobster, Chef Salad, and the Tarragon Chicken. The gluten-free desserts were amzing, especially the mousse and the Irish Flourless cake!

Rafferty's Pub, North Conway, NH: Very extensive gluten-free menu had my wife's eyes bulging. The Cheese/Bacon Fries were delicious. Chicken Parm was best she ever had (pasta was a little too al dente). Flourless chocolate cake was awesome.

We would recommend all three.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lombardi25 Apprentice

I live on the Seacoast of NH and have posted several posts on restaurants in this area in the last 8 months or so since I've been diagnosed, it's great to see the options expanding around here!!

I got to go to Rafferty's this Summer and I got the appetizer sampler so I could have all the things I haven't been able to eat in ages like Potato Skins and fries etc. and then I had to get a burger and bun and fries lol...it was really good and they were really nice etc. The bun crumbled apart pretty much in my hands but I think that's just becuase it was frozen, oh well.

I haven't been to Annello's yet but I have ate some things from there that a co-worker brings to work and I liked it. She had some garlic/butter like breadsticks and they were really good. I'm planning to drive up there.

Just an FYI, if you ever make it to the Concord, NH Outback they actually have gluten free bread and burger buns to boot! I didn't believe it until i hopped on over there this Summer and the waitress told me as I asked for the gluten-free menu, I was like so the myth is true lol. It was great.

Anyways, ever have any questions about places in this area let me know, I've been on the hunt, have found alot of good places for a nice night out, or just read some of my posts and there's some other restaurants in there. Oh yeah one more thing, there's a place in Ogunquit ME that has a pretty extensive gluten-free menu called Julies Ristorante or something (it's mostly take out but it's right on Route 1) and I ate there this summer but got sick that night really bad, so I dunno, I'd like to go back but I'm pretty scared to now. Might have to ask next time how they prepare the food etc.

Anyways, thanks for posting!!

Nick

phightin phils Rookie

Thanks, we may come back up next year. We had a great time!

Archived