This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Substitution?

Malficient

Malficient Newbie

Hi all! Has anyone found a decent substitute for whole wheat pastry flour? My favorite recipe calls for it but I don't know if the general substitution of say, Red Mill baking mix is sufficient. Anyone have any advice? thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast

Sorghum is the best replacement, IMHO. Or you could try almond meal if it is a small percentage of the total flour. I find it gives a good flavor and some fiber and protein.

MNBeth Explorer

I would also suggest sorghum, or 3 parts sorghum and one part starch (corn, potato, and/or tapioca.) Possibly a little xanthan or guar gum.

Whatcha' makin'?

Malficient Newbie

pumpkin cake! :)

I'd swear there were more replies to this but I kept getting a database error. I had planned to use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All purpose Mix, and was trying to determine how much sorghum, ratio wise. 3 parts to 1 Mix, maybe?

the recipe also calls for some oats, but I was wondering if buckwheat flour might do for a substitution?

I bet I end up with something completely different :rolleyes:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
pumpkin cake! :)

I'd swear there were more replies to this but I kept getting a database error. I had planned to use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All purpose Mix, and was trying to determine how much sorghum, ratio wise. 3 parts to 1 Mix, maybe?

the recipe also calls for some oats, but I was wondering if buckwheat flour might do for a substitution?

I bet I end up with something completely different :rolleyes:

For oats, you can use quinoa flakes.

If you could show us the recipe, that would help.

The board was down for a while, and we lost some stuff. You're not imagining things.

Malficient Newbie
For oats, you can use quinoa flakes.

If you could show us the recipe, that would help.

good idea. here it is:

cake:

2 C. whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/2 C. oats

1 T. baking powder

1 T. cinnamon

1 1/2 t. ginger

1/2 t. nutmeg

1/2 t. salt

1/2 C. butter

1 1/2 C sugar

3 large eggs, beaten

1 3/4 C. pumpkin.

streusel topping:

1/2 C. Whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 C. oats

1/4 C. sugar

1/4 C. brown sugar

4 T. butter, melted

I found this substitution for the streusel (from the book Cooking Free):

2 T brown rice flour

1/4 C brown sugar

1/2 t. cinnamon

1 T. Canola oil

I hadn't thought to use quinoa for the oats, I was thinking buckwheat, but I'll take any suggestions on the substitutions. I LOVE this cake and it kills me I can't eat it! (and I don't have other intolerances, like dairy or anything).

Malficient Newbie

anyone have any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast
anyone have any ideas?

How about chopped macadamia nuts or chopped pecans? I always put nuts in my stuesel topping.

And you could put flax in whatever flour you use for extra fiber to mimic the whole wheat flour perhaps...

I've also used the quinoa flakes in my apple crisp and struesel toppings, although now I use gluten-free oats. They're controversial and not for everyone.

Malficient Newbie

Another question, sorry!. How do I go about using the quinoa, esp as a substitute for oats? B/c what I've tried...looks really odd adn I'm pretty sure the end result is going to suck. Cyberprof, I might add some nuts next time, I do enjoy them!

Another question, sorry!. How do I go about using the quinoa, esp as a substitute for oats? B/c what I've tried...looks really odd adn I'm pretty sure the end result is going to suck. Cyberprof, I might add some nuts next time, I do enjoy them!

You can't use straight quinoa grain, you need to use quinoa FLAKES. They usually work quite well. And a lot of things won't look the way you're used to, try to judge based on flavor and texture. Two tbsp of flax seed will help any quick bread with a flavor strong enough to hide it, will help hold it together.

For your recipe, I would do:

Cake:

1 cup sorghum

1/2 cup pancake/baking mix

1/2 cup arrowroot starch

1/2 cup tapioca starch

1 cup quinoa flakes

2 tsp Xanthan gum

rest the same

(You'll notice I've reduced the amount of quinoa flakes, the flavor can be overpowering)

For topping-1/2 cup sorghum, 1/2 cup quinoa flakes.

This is just what I would do, see how yours turns out!

Malficient Newbie

ok, another question, so sorry! Where do I find the flakes, as opposed to the grain? I've seen quinoa flour in the store. Sorry for the confusion, I haven't had much dealings with quinoa and what I tried yesterday with the grains....just yuck. totally botched it up. thank you so much for the help, maybe I can work this thing right eventually!

ok, another question, so sorry! Where do I find the flakes, as opposed to the grain? I've seen quinoa flour in the store. Sorry for the confusion, I haven't had much dealings with quinoa and what I tried yesterday with the grains....just yuck. totally botched it up. thank you so much for the help, maybe I can work this thing right eventually!

You might want to start with gluten-free recipes that other poeple have come up with, instead of starting out converting your own recipes. You'll get a better feel for how the flours work together, whether butter or oil is better in a recipe, how much egg to use, whether to overmix a batter or just barely mix it. You will find with almost all gluten-free recipes that once the batter or dough is mixed, its best to let it sit for a few minutes, even ten or twenty. some find that this causes the finished product to 'fall' after baking, but I find that it kills the girtty texture you can get with gluten-free flours. And avoid bean flours for now, they taste funny.

Malficient Newbie

hmm, good ideas, thanks! I've been both using others and adapting for a while but this one is just killing me. I made two different gluten-free pumpkin cake recipes this weekend, one from Karina the Gluten Free Goddess whom I usually have good luck with for recipes, but it was just the blandest thing ever (and I'm known for being heavy with spices). Very discouraging but I'll keep pluggin away. thank you for all the help!

Archived