This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocolate Chip Cookies

MollyBeth

MollyBeth Contributor

Ok, I haven't been too adventurous with baking so far. I'm feeling like perhaps it's time I venture out. My kitchen is small and I'm moving back to the midwest soon and don't want to get too stocked up on lots of different flours...but looking ahead I'm going to get a new place with a nice big kitchen!!

I have a few questions on how to convert some of my FAVORITES...

Pams seems to be popular for baking mixes... Does this brand make a good Chocolate chip cookie mix. I love them, they are my favorite and I would love any tips on how to make he perfect gluten free chocolate chip cookie.

Chex Mix. My Ma makes the best chexmix under the sun. IT's going to be a task but I am determined to convert it! I figure I can just eliminate the wheat chex. I know I'm good with rice chex. What about corn chex? and is Lawry's gluten free?

and finally I make this delicious Chocolate chunk cheese cake that is as rich and delicious as it sounds. This one is easy because the only glutenous ingredient is the oreo cookie crust. Any suggestions or recipes on how to reproduce the oreo cookie crust. I ususally just smooshed the cookies down into the bottom of my spring form pan. I found a gluten free oreo cookie recipe but feel like making the cookies just to smoosh them sounds like a lot of work. Any easier suggestions?

Thanks!!! I look forward to hearing from all of the experts!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

artselegance Apprentice

The KinniToos (sp.) oreo cookies from Kinickkinnick(sp) are wonderful and would most definitely be easiest and do the trick.

Would you please share your recipes, sounds wonderful. Thanks.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Chex Mix:

Rice Chex are gluten free

Use Health Valley Corn Crunchem's (look just like Corn Chex)

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is safe

Lawry's is safe

Check the nuts that you use . . . not all are safe . . . shared lines and all that. Some actually say "may contain wheat". We've been OK with Planters.

I use the Pamela's baking mix quite a bit. It's one of my ingredients in choc chip cookies but I also use my flour blend. Celiac-Mommy uses it like you are planning to do and I know she cuts the butter in half (because of the almond meal in the mix) otherwise they spread too much. I think that's all she does but I will see if I can find a link to one of her posts about her cookies.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Here's Rachelle's Recipe . . . Might as well take advantage of the time and effort she's spent working out the kinks :P

This is the only one I use any more. I've tweaked it so many times to make it perfect and simple--well, it's perfect to us...

Chocolate Chip Cookies

6 TBS butter

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2-1/2 cups Pamela's baking mix

1 12-ounce package (2 cups) semisweet chocolate pieces

Directions

In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Beat mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour. Stir in chocolate pieces and, if desired, nuts.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 60 cookies.

Enjoy! :D

dgillam Newbie

As a busy mom of three small children, one of whom is my celiac, I have found it easiest to keep a simple rice flour blend on hand and then make everything work from that. I have made really good chocolate chip cookies just by using the recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bag along with the rice flour blend and a few teaspoons of xanthan gum. I use the blend that is 6 cups white rice flour, 2 cups potato starch, and 1 cup tapioca starch. I always add extra flour to keep the cookies from spreading.

This may not be as easy as other methods, but I find that I am too busy to learn to cook with a million different flours. Perhaps someone has a better bulletproof recipe to share, but my three kids love the cookies made this way, very soft and close to traditional.

mommida Enthusiast

I just use the Pamela's mix and the directions on the bag. I do not flatten them down at all, just drop the spoonful on the tray and bake. :D

People rave about them! Gluten eaters beg me to make them some. :rolleyes:

ang1e0251 Contributor

All good advice but I'll add that you'll get a nicer cookie if you use half butter and half shortening. They'll brown less quickly and have an especially good flavor. For your cheesecake. I make a Death by Chocolate cake that is excellant. I took the regular recipe from the cacao website and subbed the 4 T's of flour with cornstarch and the sour cream with mayonaisse. This would be good as your base or air dried and crumbled then added with melted butter for a crust. M-M-M!

Need the cheesecake recipe!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wonka Apprentice
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce is safe

For any fellow Canadians out there: Lea & Perrins is NOT safe up here, they use Barley Malt Vinegar in it. Heinz, who distribute Lea & Perrins, has put out their own brand, Heinz Worcestershire Sauce that IS gluten free and, therefore, safe to use. I verified this with the company this past week.

MollyBeth Contributor
Need the cheesecake recipe!

I'll post the cheese cake recipe tomorrow. I haven't made it in a whle and need to get it out of the back of my recipe box.

lobita Apprentice

Here's two tips on gluten-free chocolate chip cookies:

1) Use a rice/sorghum/tapioca flour blend (don't forget the sorghum b/c it makes the cookie chewier) w/ a tsp of xantham gum thrown in there.

2) Once you make the batter, stick it in the fridge overnight. It makes the cookies softer because the butter gets cold and doesn't spread out the cookie as much in the oven.

If you do these two things, you can pretty much use the Toll-House recipe.

purple Community Regular

Here is my favorite choc chip cookie recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

also found here:

Open Original Shared Link

I use real butter and 1 bag choc chips. Spray pan and skip the parchment.

You can use rice flour blend or sorghum blend or some of each. I like sorghum in baking. mmm...I am sampling them as I type!!!

• 2 weeks later...
SevenWishes Newbie

I've only done experiment with baking chocolate chip cookies with no gluten, but the recipe I used was very very good. I got it from the Land O' Lakes website, of all places. These come out very nearly exactly like "normal" Toll House cookies. I'm close to saying I even prefer them over wheat flour ones. I'm not **quite** ready to say that, but I am close. Anyhow, here is the link: Open Original Shared Link

DMarie Apprentice

I have used Pamela's for chocolate chip cookies. Everyone liked them! I found that they tend to spread though, and using half butter, half shortening helped with that problem.

That said, I also have a buckwheat based chocolate chip cookie that I just love (a little bit heavier of a cookie, not like toll house cookies everyone thinks about). It comes from the Gluten Free Goddess website.

And I recently tried a recipe I had from one book with a flour blend from another book - voila!!! My husband finally said - I can't tell the difference between these and gluten ones! So that is the recipe I am sticking with. I am at work right now, so do not have the recipe at hand to post. I will have to find it at home and post it. Simple recipe, not to many ingredients, reminds me of making toll house cookies - that easy. The only difference I notice is that they need to bake longer than regular cookies - but the end result - really good! :D

The flour blend is Annalise G Roberts brown rice flour blend; the recipe comes from a book by Jules Shepard called, "Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten Free Cooking." I use Chocolate Chip cookie recipe I (just in case anyone has these two books and wants to try).

Archived