This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fage Greek Yogurt

LCotter

LCotter Apprentice

So I've been gluten-free for almost 3 weeks and decided to see if I could tolerate dairy again. I ate about 3oz. of the Fage Plain Greek Yogurt last night and felt fine. This morning I had cramps then some D, yuck! But I also made homemade gluten-free chicken chili last night. Was it the beans or yogurt that could have caused this? What should I avoid being a newbie to the gluten-free? HELP!!

LCotter

gluten-free newbie

"in training" :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Beans and dairy are both difficult foods to digest :huh:

You might want to stay off them for a few months... once your intestines have healed you'll be able to tell if you have a permanent intolerance. Hopefully you can eat them again :P

LCotter Apprentice
Beans and dairy are both difficult foods to digest :huh:

You might want to stay off them for a few months... once your intestines have healed you'll be able to tell if you have a permanent intolerance. Hopefully you can eat them again :P

What are the best foods to eat for the first couple months? Its such trial and error I know! Thanks for the advice!

LCotter

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Really simple foods are the best. Rice (the easiest grain to digest), meat, lots of vegetables, fresh fruit, seeds, nut butters, eggs, etc... Your body will probably thank you if you go easy on the sugar, dairy, and processed foods for a while :)

If you haven't done much cooking before, now is the perfect time to learn!

oceangirl Collaborator

Since you are so new to gluten-free you probably need to stay away from dairy for awhile. I eat Fage every single day but that is only after 2 YEARS with no dairy and working it slowly back in.

A food log with symptoms is essential. It will be your friend. I cannot digest rice no matter how "easy to digest' people say it is. (My mom being a big proponent of this idea! God love her!) I even had trouble with chicken at first- not sure why. I ate fish (lots o' salmon), beef, bananas, cooked veggies (squashes, zuccini, summer squash, swiss chard, spinach...), larabars (on occasion and only a couple of bites), grapes and cooked berries for a couple of years! Yikes! But, I am very sensitive; you may have more luck. Add one food at a time so you can assess its influence. I still am soy, high-fructose corn syrup, mostly corn and, of course, gluten- free. oh yeah, I don't eat eggs much but am tryi g to work them back in- whites alone first.

I now successfully eat a healthy diet of hard cheeses, fage, beef, chicken, fish, shellfish, nuts, butter, occasional coffee with milk, raw sugar, fruits (not a ton), rice cakes, Tinkyada pasta (rice bothers me, Tinkyada does not- maybe it's been processed enough so I can disgest it?), tomatoes and tomato sauce, Larabars, sweet potatoes and McCormick spices. I cook everything myself (or Michael does) and I eat out almost NEVER but have had two recent ventures out that were successful.

Hang in there; it will become second nature at some point but there is a monumental learning curve.

lisa

oceangirl Collaborator

Oops, I forgot to say I eat lots of veggies, too, mostly cooked- they seem to sit better!

lizard00 Enthusiast

I think you have gotten great advice with the food journal. I pretty much know within an hour or so what is going to bother me, but it took me a lot of paying attention to get there. I kept food journals, too, for a while, until I could get a general reaction time, and narrowed down pretty much everything that bothered me.

I used to eat Fage everyday. Love that stuff! The last time I had it, it upset my tum, so I haven't tried it in a while.

I've been gluten-free a year. My doc and I don't think I'm lactose intolerant, but we're not totally sure. Keep a food journal for sure. It's probably best to cut dairy for now, but you may be one of those who can handle it.

When I first went gluten free, pretty much everything bothered me. When your intestines are all screwed up, nothing is happily digested. Hang in there, it gets easier!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived