This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh Or Molluscum On 7 Yr Old

sugarsue

sugarsue Enthusiast

Hi guys. I'm obsessed with trying to figure out what's going on so please forgive me.....

We see my dd's (age7) Peditrician on Tuesday. He's already seen the "rash" on her legs and thinks it's molluscum. I'm thinking it's DH. She's had her celiac panel but I don't know the results yet.

Her rash itches more in the morning and at night. It's on her inner thighs, behind her knees and her butt cheek on one side. The blisters look just like the molluscum pictures and the not-as-serious pictures I've seen of DH. The ones that get really bad get a HUGE pimple, very painful and then cause a purple mark that takes forever to go away. It just is not getting better with our molluscum treatment which got me on the DH thought path. She's been eating tons of gluten and I think it is affecting her mood and causing itchy'ness all over her body too.

She is not going to be happy about going gluten free. She likes the gluten-free food, just doesn't like Mom telling her what to do. <_<

I'm not sure what my question is.... Oh yeah, if her Pedi is not interested in seeing if her rash is DH, and her gluten intolerance test is negative, what type of doctor would I go to for a second oppinion? If it's DH, would her celiac panel be positive? Can Dh be diagnosed by a blood test like that or just a biopsy?

Thanks.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You need to see a dermatologist. If your insurance permits you to make an appointment without a referral then I would do so. Molluscum does not itch nor will it leave the purple scar that you mention. One of the most distinctive features of DH is the color of the scar that is left and you have described it quite well. The derm will biopsy the area next to an active lesion, not the lesion itself, to look for the tell tale antibodies. If the biopsy is positive for those antibodies then no furthur testing is required as that would be a celiac diagnosis. Not all people with DH will have villi damage and not all will show up as a positive on a celiac panel. Not showing positive on those tests does not mean that the rash is not celiac related.

sugarsue Enthusiast
You need to see a dermatologist. If your insurance permits you to make an appointment without a referral then I would do so. Molluscum does not itch nor will it leave the purple scar that you mention. One of the most distinctive features of DH is the color of the scar that is left and you have described it quite well. The derm will biopsy the area next to an active lesion, not the lesion itself, to look for the tell tale antibodies. If the biopsy is positive for those antibodies then no furthur testing is required as that would be a celiac diagnosis. Not all people with DH will have villi damage and not all will show up as a positive on a celiac panel. Not showing positive on those tests does not mean that the rash is not celiac related.

Thank you for the reply! We see her pedi on Tuesday and after that I'll look for a dermatologist if our pedi can't recommend one. We are lucky that we don't need a referral. Your post has me hopeful that maybe we will find the answer and worried that you are right and she will be diagnosed celiac.

• 8 years later...
chrystal10 Newbie

Hi, sent you a message. I'm in your shoes right now. Totally obsessing over my daughter's situation. Sent you a PM to see if you have some tips for me. I'm desperate. :(

Archived