This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

See's Candies

Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I wanted to order some See's Chocolate for the Holidays. I wrote to them about 6 p.m. last night, they answered at 9:16 pm. With the following information. They get the seal of approval from me!

Denise Becerra <custserv@sees.com> Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 9:16 PM

Thank you for visiting Sees.com. In response to your request for information about the presence of gluten in our candies, our Quality Assurance Manager has advised that we have reformulated our products and eliminated wheat as a direct ingredient in all of our candies packed in standard boxes. Some of our packaging for our Awesome Candy Bars still lists flour (wheat) however this is no longer the case. We also do not use rye, barley, oats or malt as ingredients in our candies. Therefore, none of our Custom Mix pieces contain gluten as a direct ingredient and cross contact is no longer a possibility. This would include our Peanut Brittle, Krispys, and our Sugar Free products.

You may have noticed that we do have some products which are manufactured for us. Some of these items that do not contain gluten are our Milk Chocolate Drops, Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips, Milk Chocolate and Dark Chocolate Foil Novelties, Sugar Sticks and Sour Chews. As we've noted, most of our products are gluten free.

However, we do have a few items which our Quality Assurance Department does not consider to be gluten free because of their decorations or they are produced in a facility that processes gluten. These are all decorated Creams (decoration), Springtime Truffles (decoration), Egg Nog Truffles (decoration), all Climber Canes, Puppet Canes and Candy Canes, and the 3 oz. Bordeaux, Chocolate Walnut, and Dark Raspberry Hearts (decorations). Also, all of our decorated Easter Eggs may contain gluten because of their decorations. The only decorated Easter Eggs that would not contain gluten are our 9.5 oz. decorated Rocky Road Egg and our 13.5 oz. decorated Chocolate Butter with Pecans Egg.

In addition to the information above, we wish to advise that the distilled apple cider vinegar used in our Butterscotch Lollypops and Little Pops is grain based.

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for your interest in See's Candies and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you soon.

Denise Becerra

See's Candies Customer Service

--- Original Message ---

Received: 12/8/2008 5:56:35 PM Pacific Standard Time (GMT - 8:00 )

To: custserv@sees.com

Subject: gluten?

Do you have a list of which of your candies contain gluten? Thank you

for your time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fedora Enthusiast

I was just checking on this because someone gave us some see's for christmas.

we got 3 foil wrapped chocolates and a box of mixed chocolates.

according to this letter, they should be fine.

They say their candies in standard boxes, I assume they mean their chocolates?

msmini14 Enthusiast

They should be safe except for the ones listed and the decorated ones. Be careful with ones that could have graham cracker, not sure if that is in your box. Maybe cut them open before you eat? No one ever gets me candy but I always buy the ones from the kids that sell the bars lol

• 8 years later...
HST Newbie

Hello!  I wanted to share an updated reply from See's Candies on their gluten free products......

"Thank you for your inquiry about the presence of gluten in our candies. You’ll be happy to know that all our candies are gluten-free.  This would include the pieces with decorations on them.

We do not make “gluten free” claims in our product packaging.  Gluten free certification is typically pursued by companies that make such claims on their labels or package and therefore need independent accreditation that they are following a specific process/program to comply.  See’s only purchases ingredients that do not contain wheat/gluten and if the facilities from which ingredients are purchased process wheat, then the supplier is required to test for presence of gluten in their environment and/or product. 

FDA defines gluten free as a product that is inherently gluten free; or does not contain:

1) a gluten-containing grain (e.g., spelt wheat);
2) derived from a gluten-containing grain that has not been processed to remove gluten (e.g., wheat flour); or
3) derived from a gluten-containing grain that has been processed to remove gluten (e.g., wheat starch), if the use of that ingredient results in the presence of 20 parts per million (ppm) or more gluten in the food.
Also, any unavoidable presence of gluten in the food must be less than 20 ppm

Our products meet the above criteria.   We do not intend to make gluten free claims in our packaging and do not intend to pursue certification at this time.

I hope this information is helpful.  We appreciate your interest in See's Candies and look forward to serving you soon."

Consumer Affairs Department
See's Candies
===============

• 1 month later...
Jkat Newbie

How can a 13.5 decorated chocolate butter with pecans Easter egg be gluten free ?

thanks, Judy 

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Jkat said:

How can a 13.5 decorated chocolate butter with pecans Easter egg be gluten free ?

thanks, Judy 

If you are commenting on one of the original posts - that info is 9 years old.  You might want to get up to date info on the product.  

Jkat Newbie

Thanks for pointing the date out .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
17 hours ago, Jkat said:

thanks, Judy 

Here is the current See's gluten free statement:

Open Original Shared Link

So, it is not certified gluten-free, but all the ingredients are gluten free.  We eat See's! 

But I do not eat it once the box has been opened and all my gluten-eating nieces and nephews touch the candy searching for their favorite pieces while at parties.  Of course, their parents do not condone this action.....but the kids still do it.  ?

Archived