This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Til I Feel Better?

swbailey

swbailey Apprentice

I know this will vary with everyone, but here is what I have experienced. The first week that I was diagnosed I immediately went gluten-free and learned everything that I could possilbly learn about eating gluten-free. I felt better within a few days. I had a little more energy, and would actually have a few hours in the day where my stomach did not hurt! But the next week hit, and my stomach gradually is getting better (but still not fully there by any means). But my energy level is tanked! It is so hard to get anything done because I do not have the energy for it! Plus, I now have a cold and UTI, which I know is not helping.

So how long did it take till you got your energy back, and did you experience getting other illness (like colds, flu, etc) that slowed that process down?

Thank you so much for responding!

Wendy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I felt better right away. The next day. Then came the roller coaster ride. Getting more sensitive. Finding more and more sources of gluten. Finding out that saying gluten free on the label doesn't mean much. Finding out that just because some other celiacs can eat it just fine didn't mean that I could. As the months went by I found more and more thing going away that I had attributed to aging or just hadn't realized weren't normal. I would say that at a bit over a year gluten free I am still learning and healing. I haven't been sick enough to lay in bed wanting to die since the summer though. Some people have it easier. I hope you are one of them.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I felt better immediately, too. But then about a month later ended up pretty bad off for a week or so, then have gotten better from there. The fatigue was the last thing that went, my afternoon naps stopped somewhere around late spring/early summer. Your body needs rest, healing itself is a pretty big job. So, let it rest.

I'm a little over a year gluten free, and I feel like a new person. I've still got a few issues going on, and I still have some fatigue, but NOTHING like a year ago. Hang in there, it just takes some time.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I agree with the previous posters. I am a year gluten-free and I'm still learning so much. I'll tell you when I get sick now, like a cold, it kicks my butt. Fatigue is the worst side affect of that. I really found a lot of relief when I started to take the sublingual B12 that was reccomended here. Today I forgot to take it and now that it's late in the afternoon, I'm crashing. I'm sleepy and yawning with tight muscles in my neck. It makes a big difference!

Just hang in there. Some of these problems take time to heal and it's a setback to have the UTI and the cold. You'll feel better soon. Just make sure none of your scrips have lactose or gluten.

swbailey Apprentice
I felt better immediately, too. But then about a month later ended up pretty bad off for a week or so, then have gotten better from there. The fatigue was the last thing that went, my afternoon naps stopped somewhere around late spring/early summer. Your body needs rest, healing itself is a pretty big job. So, let it rest.

I'm a little over a year gluten free, and I feel like a new person. I've still got a few issues going on, and I still have some fatigue, but NOTHING like a year ago. Hang in there, it just takes some time.

I have been careful about asking if my meds are gluten-free (some times they are helpful, and sometimes....).

My doc only recommended me taking Calcium and Vit D (without doing any tests to determine what I needed as supplements).

What are the typical vitamins and minerals that people with celiac disease are lacking?

ang1e0251- I grew up in North Webster! How about that!

Thanks guys! The support here really helps!

Amber M Explorer
I know this will vary with everyone, but here is what I have experienced. The first week that I was diagnosed I immediately went gluten-free and learned everything that I could possilbly learn about eating gluten-free. I felt better within a few days. I had a little more energy, and would actually have a few hours in the day where my stomach did not hurt! But the next week hit, and my stomach gradually is getting better (but still not fully there by any means). But my energy level is tanked! It is so hard to get anything done because I do not have the energy for it! Plus, I now have a cold and UTI, which I know is not helping.

So how long did it take till you got your energy back, and did you experience getting other illness (like colds, flu, etc) that slowed that process down?

Thank you so much for responding!

Wendy

I listened and learned alot on this site about the vitimans and minerals, but then I went to other sites and researched them to learn about amounts and things. You really should find out if you have deficencies. My allergist recommended some things and I take a multi with extra vit. C, magnesium, vit.D. I also started about 2 months ago on a digestive enyzme, "Enzyamedica Digest".

I picked the ones I felt would help after the research with the symptoms I have. I tried the regular and sublingal vit. B12 and Break out in a terrible rash, so what the heck? Am I allergic???

But anyway, I felt better in the beginning and then as the others said, I became more sensitive to gluten than ever if I slipped and also could not digest other grains, still only rice works there. I am only about 5 months in, things are geting better, but you may have to eliminate other foods that just don't work for now. My allergist said I could re-introduce a few other things later to try it, but of course the gluten is "out" forever. Don't expect your body to heal overnight. Give yourself a break, it will change over time. Best wishes.

lizard00 Enthusiast
I also started about 2 months ago on a digestive enyzme, "Enzyamedica Digest".

I started taking Digest Gold a few days ago. I read about Amylase deficiency and OMG, it was me on paper. Freaked me out a little. I started them Sat night, and then had some flavored coffee for 4 mornings in a row that I think has gluten in it, so I can't really say if it's helping or not. I was feeling progressively worse until yesterday when I just fell apart. I'm finally feeling a little better, so hopefully now the enzymes will do what they're supposed to.

Have they helped you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

ang1e0251- I grew up in North Webster! How about that!

Hey, I'm Wawasee High School grad, class of '76! We Indiana people are all over!

I take the sublingual B12 daily and it really helps the energy and my well being.

Angie

Amber M Explorer
I started taking Digest Gold a few days ago. I read about Amylase deficiency and OMG, it was me on paper. Freaked me out a little. I started them Sat night, and then had some flavored coffee for 4 mornings in a row that I think has gluten in it, so I can't really say if it's helping or not. I was feeling progressively worse until yesterday when I just fell apart. I'm finally feeling a little better, so hopefully now the enzymes will do what they're supposed to.

Have they helped you?

You didn't check your flavored coffee???? Anything "FLAVORED" is usually a red flag....

Yes, the digest enzymes have saved me from the whole acid reflux problem... I got off the prylosec and other stuff completely. I had found out that long term use of acid reducers causes malabsorption too, and of course completely ruins the acids and enzymes we need to digest food.

I feel like the digest has allowed me to better absorb my vit. and food nutrients. My bowels have improved too. I really feel all around they have helped. I like "Enzymedica" company because they make only enzymes. The specialize in them. Good luck!

lizard00 Enthusiast
You didn't check your flavored coffee???? Anything "FLAVORED" is usually a red flag....

Yes, the digest enzymes have saved me from the whole acid reflux problem... I got off the prylosec and other stuff completely. I had found out that long term use of acid reducers causes malabsorption too, and of course completely ruins the acids and enzymes we need to digest food.

I feel like the digest has allowed me to better absorb my vit. and food nutrients. My bowels have improved too. I really feel all around they have helped. I like "Enzymedica" company because they make only enzymes. The specialize in them. Good luck!

I know... my shining moment of idiocy. B) Never mind that I remind people of that stuff... (banging forehead on wall now)

Glad to know it worked for you. I think they are helping, but once I feel completely back to normal I'll be able to tell.

Archived