• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
JennyC

Ghirardelli Chocolate

Rate this topic

I called Ghirardelli today because I have read a couple of different places that they now produce a crispy milk chocolate bar (with barley :( ) on the same lines as their bar chocolates. I'm sad to say that it is true. All of their bar chocolate can possibly get cross contaminated. <_< They do clean the lines between batches and they throw away the first two batches after each switch. This seems like a really good manufacturing policy, but it's still disappointing that the chocolate is no longer made on gluten free lines. Their cocoa powders and chocolate chips are still made on dedicated lines.

I'm thinking about switching my bar chocolate to callebaut. It's way better chocolate, and it's actually about the same price as Girardelli. Does anyone have any experience with this chocolate? I am about to buy 3 pounds of it for truffles! :P

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi!

I was just wondering the same thing. There is a wonderful post from Sees candy-- who have basically said that almost all of their chocolate is gluten free, with the exception of specialty holiday candy (that may have extra decorative ingredients that may include gluten)....So i am taking this to mean that the majority of their regularly stocked items are gluten-free. Also, there is a thread up from 2007 that has out dated info stating the Ghirardelli is gluten-free...dont be fooled! Make sure to check out the dates on posts.

Godiva, Ghirardelli, Rocky Moutain Chocolate Factory are out-- they arent safe, Hersey's is very unreliablel. Nestle is good about giving customers information I would run a search on them. But if youre looking for truffles I would go with Sees for sure! (yum, now i want some!). Here is the post:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=53444

Happy Holidays!

Thanks, but I need to buy three pounds of chocolate. I'm making truffles as gifts. I buy See's chocolate candies, but I've never thought of them for chocolate for baking. :rolleyes:

Hey, if you goto the Ghirardelli site they list the possible sources of cross contamination. I usually eat the squares and they appear to be ok ;)

The following Ghirardelli

I called Ghirardelli today because I have read a couple of different places that they now produce a crispy milk chocolate bar (with barley :( ) on the same lines as their bar chocolates. I'm sad to say that it is true. All of their bar chocolate can possibly get cross contaminated. <_< They do clean the lines between batches and they throw away the first two batches after each switch. This seems like a really good manufacturing policy, but it's still disappointing that the chocolate is no longer made on gluten free lines. Their cocoa powders and chocolate chips are still made on dedicated lines.

I'm thinking about switching my bar chocolate to callebaut. It's way better chocolate, and it's actually about the same price as Girardelli. Does anyone have any experience with this chocolate? I am about to buy 3 pounds of it for truffles! :P

I stick to Dagoba and Endangered species for chocolate bars, and Enjoy Life for chocolate chips. Enjoy Life chips have amazing flavor. They also make a shell quite nicely, when covering something like strawberries or pretzels.

Ads by Google:

Hi!

I was just wondering the same thing. There is a wonderful post from Sees candy-- who have basically said that almost all of their chocolate is gluten free, with the exception of specialty holiday candy (that may have extra decorative ingredients that may include gluten)....So i am taking this to mean that the majority of their regularly stocked items are gluten-free. Also, there is a thread up from 2007 that has out dated info stating the Ghirardelli is gluten-free...dont be fooled! Make sure to check out the dates on posts.

Godiva, Ghirardelli, Rocky Moutain Chocolate Factory are out-- they arent safe, Hersey's is very unreliablel. Nestle is good about giving customers information I would run a search on them. But if youre looking for truffles I would go with Sees for sure! (yum, now i want some!). Here is the post:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=53444

Happy Holidays!

I would dispute your statement that Ghirardelli and Rocky Mountain chocolates are not safe. I am about as sensitive a Celiac as they come and I eat Ghirardelli chocolates every single day. They have excellent manufacturing practices for a non-gluten-free facility.

I just had my repeat blood work done and in no way am I ingesting any gluten.....my numbers were very, very low. Ditto for Rocky Mountain chocolates although you have to be careful because they aren't all gluten-free.

I think people make too big of a deal about this. If you have done your homework in checking out facilities and their practices, do not become asymptomatic after ingesting their products and use your repeat blood work as a measurement tool (if you can), I don't know what else you can do to prove a product safe!

I eat Ghirardelli chocolate squares everyday with no issues. The only product I see on their list that is made in the same facility as wheat products is Classic White Chip. All other products should be safe, as they are not in contact with machinery/equipment that shares wheat products.

Remember, the original thread here is a couple years old.