This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dermatitis Hepeformis

chronic

chronic Newbie

Hi,

I am looking for information about dermatitis herpeformis. Not being certain if this one of many problems, my question is--which medication is gluten-free free if there is a prescritption nvolved? Are my symptoms normal for this skin problem? For years lumps and bumps that itch have been apearing on the lower torso. Recently they are extending to my chest and arms..

Thanks,

Chronic :o

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

snoopylian Apprentice

I did a search on dogpile.com (select images first) for DH and it shows all kinds of pics of DH. Apparently there are many forms of DH. There is also a DH online website that may be useful to you: Open Original Shared Link

I know that there are prescription meds for DH but I don't know any of there names. I try and control my sons through diet (no dairy, eggs, gluten), he takes borage oil, digestive enzymes, acidophilus, he only wears 100% cotton (even his bed sheets are 100% cotton). I've read that dust, dust mites, pet dander can contribute to the itchiness. So, we use one of those pleated allergen air filters at home. Currently we use dove sensitive skin at bath time but I am in the process of trying to learn how to make soap rich in hempseed oil and shea butter. Also, against some doctor's opinions, after bath before bed, I slather him down with Vaseline. All of the above have helped my son. Perhaps they may help you.

Also, I recently read, but have not verified, that people w/DH should be careful of the amount of iodine in their diet. I'm not sure about that, like I said I haven't had a chance to investigate it further.

Good luck. If I think of anything else I will let you know.

lovegrov Collaborator

Dapsone is the only med I know of for DH (although I think there is a sulfa drug) and of course it's gluten-free, otherwise it would make the DH worse. However, if you are on the gluten-free diet and having problems, either your rash is not DH or you're getting gluten somewhere. If you're truly gluten-free, you won't have DH.

Some people do have to avoid iodine (it wasn't a problem for me) for a period of time but but most people can resume eating it after they've been DH free for a while.

richard

Archived