This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Good Information To Read......

Gemini

Gemini Experienced

I was looking through the gluten free drug list over Christmas as I was in need of some medication for a cold and noticed that Synthroid had a notation after it saying that all strengths of the drug could no longer be guaranteed as being gluten-free. Not sure why but thought it important to point out to all those taking it. I use Levoxyl myself, which is the generic from of Synthroid, and that is still listed as gluten-free.

Personally, I refused Synthroid in the beginning because it is still overpriced and expensive. I have zero problems with Levoxyl and it works beautifully for me.

The second important note I would like to make is if you can get your hands on a copy of the magazine "Gluten Free Living" this month (it is not a monthly mag), there are 2 excellent articles in it that all Celiacs, especially newbies, should read. One is all about Rx meds and their ingredients and the title is Puzzled by Prescriptions? Why your drugs are probably gluten-free It lists the common inert ingredients used and what to look for as far as what may contain gluten......very helpful article.

The second article is titled May Contain Labels Muddled and Misunderstood You guessed it....all about labeling practices and what the manufacturers mean when they list the "may contain" statement.

Thee is also a story on an Outback Restaurant in Roswell, Georgia that is going way beyond the limit with their gluten-free menu. They have the Bloomin' Onion thing on their gluten-free menu! The assistant manager of the place was talking to a customer there who had requested the gluten-free menu

and the manager ended up in tears because, when the customer described symptoms of celiac disease, the manager realized they fit the symptoms of some health issues she was having. Turns out, she had celiac disease also. Now she is cooking up more and more menu items that celiacs can eat!

They hope to make some available throughout the Outback chain!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Gemini, thanks for the info. I love this magazine, but do not have this month's.

Which gluten free drug list do you use? Is it on the internet or was it something you bought?

Gemini Experienced
Gemini, thanks for the info. I love this magazine, but do not have this month's.

Which gluten free drug list do you use? Is it on the internet or was it something you bought?

Hi Jenny!

The gluten-free drug list is available at: www.glutenfreedrugs.com It's a very comprehensive listing and has saved my butt on a number of occasions when I could not get in touch with a manufacturer. I was surprised that Synthroid cannot guarantee gluten-free status because of the number of people with thyroid disease that was caused by undiagnosed celiac disease......very weird. However, going through the listing you will see how many meds are gluten-free and they are commonly used products also. The one other word of warning are to those with Sjogren's Syndrome, like myself. The vast majority of these I cannot use because pharmaceuticals are notorious for drying out mucous membranes. I have a horrible time with that. I have found that using herbal remedies work just as well without the side effect of making my already dry mouth 100 times worse. I just thought that for those who can tolerate OTC meds, this listing will be of great help. Sorry about not linking directly to the website.....I seem to be having difficulty with that today.

I also like this magazine.....it's better than Livng Without because it deals only with gluten free. They have good recipes and their articles seem to be spot on with correct information that newbies really need to read. It's essential that people learn the correct information about celiac disease, cross contamination and the use of topical products as it relates to the disease. It just makes living this lifestyle so much easier. It's a quarterly magazine and I like that......don't want magazines piling up every month!

• 2 weeks later...
minton Contributor

OUTBACK in Roswell is my new favorite restaraunt!!!! I live near there!!!! Thank goodness!

wowzer Community Regular
I was looking through the gluten free drug list over Christmas as I was in need of some medication for a cold and noticed that Synthroid had a notation after it saying that all strengths of the drug could no longer be guaranteed as being gluten-free. Not sure why but thought it important to point out to all those taking it. I use Levoxyl myself, which is the generic from of Synthroid, and that is still listed as gluten-free.

Personally, I refused Synthroid in the beginning because it is still overpriced and expensive. I have zero problems with Levoxyl and it works beautifully for me.

The second important note I would like to make is if you can get your hands on a copy of the magazine "Gluten Free Living" this month (it is not a monthly mag), there are 2 excellent articles in it that all Celiacs, especially newbies, should read. One is all about Rx meds and their ingredients and the title is Puzzled by Prescriptions? Why your drugs are probably gluten-free It lists the common inert ingredients used and what to look for as far as what may contain gluten......very helpful article.

The second article is titled May Contain Labels Muddled and Misunderstood You guessed it....all about labeling practices and what the manufacturers mean when they list the "may contain" statement.

Thee is also a story on an Outback Restaurant in Roswell, Georgia that is going way beyond the limit with their gluten-free menu. They have the Bloomin' Onion thing on their gluten-free menu! The assistant manager of the place was talking to a customer there who had requested the gluten-free menu

and the manager ended up in tears because, when the customer described symptoms of celiac disease, the manager realized they fit the symptoms of some health issues she was having. Turns out, she had celiac disease also. Now she is cooking up more and more menu items that celiacs can eat!

wowzer Community Regular

Thanks for bringing up the information on the Synthroid. I am trying to figure out where I am getting gluten and wondering if the Synthroid it the problem. I did try to e-mail Abbott, but they said they could share my information with the world, etc. so didn't send the e-mail. I will have my pharmacist check tomorrow. Does anybody know what strengths contain gluten or if any are safe?

fig girl Rookie

Great info! Thanks for mentioning the Outback in Roswell, GA too. I just asked my husband which Outback we had eaten at not too long ago when we were in Atlanta and it was the one in Roswell. We were in the area shopping at Trader Joe's and saw the Outback and i knew they had a gluten-free menu so we stopped in for dinner. I was very, very impressed and was so surprised to see all of the items on their menu that was gluten free! My sister lives near there and we will definitely go back! I felt so comfortable eating there. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived