This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

You May Already Know About The Mercury In Fillings...

mr. moore

Lisa Mentor

Mr. Moore,

If you feel that Mercury Toxicity is effecting your health, I would suggest that you address a good medical PROFESSIONAL with your concerns.

We are not doctors and the goal here at Celiac.com is to provide you with some information, where as you can seek professional medical advice for a proper diagnosis. (a disclaimer here at celiac.com)

I wish you well Mr. Moore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star
yes i read that. if i was intolerant to corn i know i would of had some signs. corn related products are in everything sure but unlike rachel my thyroid is fine. plus corn can't fuc you up as much as mercury (im thinking) as done to me. i mean i have heard of pellegri where people who eat just corn develop schizophrenia. hell i even took 1000mg of niacin cause i thought it would help. thanks though...

I think Peter's point was not that you should consider corn, but that most people want one change to fix their problems, but for some, one change is not enough. If you keep an open mind and are willing to try many things, you may find all the answers to your health problems.

purple Community Regular
Dylan,

You started this thread with questions about mercury. Is this because you feel that it is part of your problem?? I cant tell you whether it is or isnt. However, if you feel that it is and if you feel like this is something that you need to pursue.....then I would encourage you to do so.

Dont ever let anyone tell you are wrong for feeling what you feel. Dont let anyone try to tell you that you're crazy for trying to come up with The Answer. We are all looking for that because we all DO want to get better. The fact that you are asking questions and looking for answers tells me that you really do want to improve your health. Thats a great thing. Like you stated earlier....knowledge is power.

Dont let the fact that many people will judge you for the efforts you make get in the way of your recovery. Those people are not informed and they dont understand. Its your body....not theirs. Do what you feel is best for YOU.....and dont let anyone's comments hold you back.

You know what you are dealing with even if most people cant wrap their heads around it. Dont allow your friends to put you down. You are trying to improve your health and good friends who care about you will be supportive....even if they dont totally understand. There are always going to be those people who will try to push you down...even as you are trying to get up......for whatever reason some people find joy in that. Dont let those people into your life.

Dont give up! You can get past this.

I'm stepping out of this thread because if I continue to post it will become very controversial and I dont want this thread to be taken from you. This information is for you....you asked the questions and I hope that you will continue to get answers. I will respond to your pm's as soon as I can. :)

Hey Rachel, THANK YOU sooo much for all your wisdom (learned the hard way). I have learned alot from your posts. I have read many things that confirmed what you said so I know you have done your research. Thanks for helping me and others. Thanks for taking time to post...we need YOU! I pray you will continue to heal :)

mr. moore Explorer

one of the reasons ive been so impatient, well i just haven't taken ritalin. in years, but i did today and i feel less anxious. so i can take time to think it over. i did, and i still believe, not only scientifically but in my gut, i must be sensitive to mercury. first off, isn't everyone? it's poisonous.

second im not mad at all for opinions because no one my age has been through what i have, and not many of my friends even have fillings. most of them are on ritalin though lol.

im thinking of switching doctors because mine officially knows me as the manic hypochondriac im too embaressed to go back. plus ive read in countless other forums mercury is very difficult to measure in hair and blood and stuff even if you are "chelating". (thats such a weird name)

i think it's important to state i was not always like this, when i was 5 or 6 i was a very happy go lucky person, very weird but happy and it was before any fillings. so to go up against science and dentists for me, is pretty scary kind of like revolting against the matrix. i hope you guys catch my drift and im gonna keep researching.

mr. moore Explorer
I think Peter's point was not that you should consider corn, but that most people want one change to fix their problems, but for some, one change is not enough. If you keep an open mind and are willing to try many things, you may find all the answers to your health problems.

yeah i know. i actualy can't read sarcasm over the internet unless theres an EMOTICON!

i felt very happy from the news i heard from dingo girl, as she (and im sure this is public information) was very sick, in the head and her body, and was depressed and suicidal, and from simply switching her diet is much better. now, think of that vs. heavy metal poisoning? it's not too far fetched is it? i just told my friend, i was scared he'd think im crazy but he was like "theres mercury in my fillings? i thought it's just tin foil or something!" so its kind of a secret i guess. ill admit im a little too excited.

Jestgar Rising Star
I will offer a warning that there are many out there who will tell you what to do and they will behave as if they know the answer for you but they don't, this includes conventional and alternative health care practitioners and a ton of web sites with buy this magic medicine.

This is well said.

Just because something worked for one person, doesn't mean it will work for you. Consider all that you hear and try to decide what might be an appropriate approach for you.

mr. moore Explorer

i honestly thought going through all the crazy treatments ive been through would help. turns out they didn't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mr. moore Explorer

can you smell mercury? like if i breathed in someones face would they be like "gross that smells like metal!"

im thinking of eatingjust fish for a week to see if i get sick, but then again, i PROBABLY WILL.

arg the waiting is killing me, im so sure, especially after reading so many testimonials, and hard scientific facts, this is why i've been increasingly crazy as the years (and the fillings) go by.

home-based-mom Contributor
i honestly thought going through all the crazy treatments ive been through would help. turns out they didn't.

If you poke your nose around the board long enough you will stumble upon member after member who suffered for YEARS before either getting a diagnosis or just going off gluten. It's probably a safe bet that each time a doctor tried a different treatment the patient hoped and prayed it would help. But it didn't. For some, this sent on for decades. :(

Unfortunately, this is all too common.

I say this not to be discouraging but to let you know that you are not alone in being bounced around by the medical community.

Keep searching. Find a doctor who is willing to play detective. Find one who is willing to think outside the box. Find one who looks for zebras not horses.

As others have said, you will probably have more than one cause for all of your problems. Hang in there - :)

mr. moore Explorer
If you poke your nose around the board long enough you will stumble upon member after member who suffered for YEARS before either getting a diagnosis or just going off gluten. It's probably a safe bet that each time a doctor tried a different treatment the patient hoped and prayed it would help. But it didn't. For some, this sent on for decades. :(

Unfortunately, this is all too common.

I say this not to be discouraging but to let you know that you are not alone in being bounced around by the medical community.

Keep searching. Find a doctor who is willing to play detective. Find one who is willing to think outside the box. Find one who looks for zebras not horses.

As others have said, you will probably have more than one cause for all of your problems. Hang in there - :)

thanks, and its more like im the only 19 year old i can think of right now who is obsessed wih finding a "cure". even the kids at the mental hospitals were pre occupied with SOMETHING. they didn't view things the way i did. which is why im basically alienated and am bound t internet message boards...really NO ONE my age suspects mercury poisoning for crazy symptoms? no one?

ravenwoodglass Mentor
thanks, and its more like im the only 19 year old i can think of right now who is obsessed wih finding a "cure". even the kids at the mental hospitals were pre occupied with SOMETHING. they didn't view things the way i did. which is why im basically alienated and am bound t internet message boards...really NO ONE my age suspects mercury poisoning for crazy symptoms? no one?

You joined the board less than a month ago, are you still gluten free? Or are you bouncing from one hope of an overnight cure to another? I know the desire to find a resolution to serious health issues including depression and OCD. It can be all consuming. As many have said you most likely have multiple issues going on and you are unlikely to find a majic bullet that will cure all. The best thing you can do for your body and your mind is to get on as clean a diet as you can. Drop gluten and casien and go for whole natural foods. While you are doing that please listen to Racheal and others who urge you to find a good doctor, a naturopath might be good or a D.O.. They will help you, safely, with any testing or treatment you need for heavy metal poisoning. While the mercury issue may be playing a small part in your problems it is highly unlikely that it is the sole cause.

I also have obsessive thoughts, I have PTSD and for me there is no 'cure' for it other than to try and consiously change the thought pattern. I was lucky at one point in my struggles and had a really good psychologist who taught me a number of coping stratgies that helped a great deal. Please note I am not saying your crazy and need to be on multiple meds or even that a psychologist will be able to cure only that they may be able to help you better cope while you search for a cause and remove it. I know you are suffering and want to be well and I know how hard it is to be patient and to give your body the chance to heal, many of us have been there. Don't give up searching for a cause but do continue to modify your diet to eliminate gluten and casien along with the processed garbage. Give that a chance for at least a couple of months. It took a while for the antibodies to take up residence in your brain and nervous system and it will take a time for them to leave but any gluten that sneaks in, if gluten is an issue for you, will reactivate those antibodies and bring back symptoms.

I do hope you are feeling better soon.

AliB Enthusiast

Dylan, pretty much everyone on this forum has been giving you the same advice.

We are giving you this advice because we have also been there, done it and bought 20 flippin' t-shirts.

As I said in my many replies to your copious PM's to me YOU HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR DIET.

Before you do anything, you need to eliminate ALL processed food.

Take the 'bull by the horns' and get to grips with your diet.

Ok, so maybe you don't think you have a problem with corn. What exactly would you be expecting to react like? Diarrhea? Headaches? Stomach ache? What if the reaction is actually one of your existing health issues? What if corn is behind your OCD etc.?

So you have removed gluten. ALL of it? Every source? Do you feel any different? Ok so take out corn, and soy and any other starches and grains. Remove dairy from your diet. Ban sugar. Get rid of the foods that are burdening your body and adding to the toxic load.

Stick to good wholesome unprocessed, unadulterated, preferably organic meat, fish, poultry, fruit, vegetables, nuts, raw honey and plain probiotic yogurt (not activia or actimel types as they are full of sugar). Take probiotic capsules if you wish, but get your diet into detox mode first. Start spring-cleaning your body. The cleaner your body is, the better chance it has at getting rid of the rubbish and the heavy metals, etc. If you have toxic stuff in your system it is because your liver is too overloaded to deal with it properly.

So you're 19. So what? What do you have to lose? You have already lost a huge part of your life to your health issues. You keep bleating on about only being 19 and not wanting to give up your comfort foods. Why? Ok. Keep eating those foods and stay sick. It's your decision. But you are not getting any better as you are.

No-one is saying that you may have to give up these foods forever. If you give your body the chance to heal there is always the possibility that you can re-introduce some of them occasionally at some point in the future. But if you don't at least try you will never know, and your situation will only get worse, not better.

The sooner you make a start the quicker you will get a result. The longer you keep putting it off and fighting against it, the harder it will be for your body to recover. You are fortunate to have picked up on all this while you are still young enough for dietary changes to undo some of the damage. The diet may not undo ALL of it but it will undoubtedly make big differences in some areas, not least the 'brain-fog'.

People have recovered or radically improved from all sorts of health issues, on the SCD and similar diets (paleo, etc.), and I know of at least one person on it who has recovered from Bipolar. Bipolar, Schizophrenia, Depression, OCD, Autism, ASD, 'Brain-fog', Tourette's, Neurological Disorders of many different types, Digestive issues, Rheumatism and Arthritis, Skin problems, etc., etc., etc., can all be improved or removed by a pure diet.

No-one will come up with a 'magic' pill. The only person who can really help you is YOU. There are plenty on here who can help you adapt to the pure diet.

Listen to the WISE advice, LEARN, and APPLY.

mr. moore Explorer

i kind of gave up on the concept of a magic pill ever since i took most psychological drugs.

ive basically been at the mercy of scientific opinions and im kind of at the point of just giving up. by that i mean moving away from people and living off writing books. lol no that would be cool though. im mostly just very angry at how people take advantage of things.

ok if you want to understand my position on that, you'd have to know what ive been through. that would take many hours and would basically be a "woe is me" story.

look at the history of mental illness. besides vincent van gough, i can't automatically remember anyone who was suicidally depressed before the 1800's. this was, of course, before processed food and mercury fillings, and of course psychosocial things, like familys moving away and technology. there are MANY things that i have tried in an attempt to escape the constant anxiety and confusion i feel everyday. im very easily angered, more and more lately, because i can't keep up with people. im stuck in my own world. then i thought to myself "no one else in my family has had problems like mine". my mom is bipolar, and a month ago i told her about celiac disease and how it could cause some of her problems like her rhumatoid arthritis. could it? i don't know, it's a freakin crapshoot. just like removing my fillings. over the holidays i tried all the diets and had a very crummy time because i was so preoccupied with it, i was obsessed with the stupid "failsafe diet". my mom even said "the only way you could do this is if you live on an island off of coconuts the rest of your life".

plus i read that mercury poisoning can cause candidas overgrowth and exasperate problems with gluten.

im very confused!

mr. moore Explorer

yes ive followed the diets to a T.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
look at the history of mental illness. besides vincent van gough, i can't automatically remember anyone who was suicidally depressed before the 1800's. this was, of course, before processed food and mercury fillings, and of course psychosocial things, like familys moving away and technology. there are MANY things that i have tried in an attempt to escape the constant anxiety and confusion i feel everyday. im very easily angered, more and more lately, because i can't keep up with people. im stuck in my own world. then i thought to myself "no one else in my family has had problems like mine". my mom is bipolar, and a month ago i told her about celiac disease and how it could cause some of her problems like her rhumatoid arthritis. could it? i don't know, it's a freakin crapshoot. just like removing my fillings. over the holidays i tried all the diets and had a very crummy time because i was so preoccupied with it, i was obsessed with the stupid "failsafe diet". my mom even said "the only way you could do this is if you live on an island off of coconuts the rest of your life".

plus i read that mercury poisoning can cause candidas overgrowth and exasperate problems with gluten.

im very confused!

Just because you don't find records doesn't mean something wasn't there. Especially when your talking about something like mental illness. Before the 'dawn' of the study of psychology many who suffered from depression were thought to be just lazy. Many with things like bipolar and other disorders were thought to be under the control of the devil or demons. Archeological evidence of trepanning, a process where they drill holes in the skull to let the 'evil' out has been seen in even ancient civilizations. It is not all diet or the chemicals that we have consumed although those will certainly not help.

You talk about trying all these different diets over the holidays. If you can stick with one of them for a month or so, (guess which one I would suggest first :rolleyes:) and then if you have no relief at all then go on to another that might prove more beneficial to you. If you are trying too many things at one time then if one of them is helping you won't know which one it is. Also many of these diets have 'crossovers' or something that is allowed in one but not another and if you are trying many at once it could be very stressful. It can all be very confusing but as with a lot in life if we can take just one step at a time it can help us reach where we are going.

rinne Apprentice
can you smell mercury? like if i breathed in someones face would they be like "gross that smells like metal!"

im thinking of eatingjust fish for a week to see if i get sick, but then again, i PROBABLY WILL.

arg the waiting is killing me, im so sure, especially after reading so many testimonials, and hard scientific facts, this is why i've been increasingly crazy as the years (and the fillings) go by.

When I was very ill I had a distinctive metal taste in my mouth and my tongue was coated and gross, what is your tongue like? Our tongues can tell us a lot about our bodies.

I have four fillings so not a mouthful of metal but I haven't had them out, instead I have worked on my diet as a way to detox and I no longer have the metal taste and my tongue is not gross.

I would be happy to help you learn how to cook some basic things and I am sure many others would be willing to help you too. Cooking is not so difficult if you start out simply and learning how to feed yourself is a very good skill to have. You may find yourself surprised with what a good feeling it is to cook for yourself. :)

purple Community Regular

Here is a huge list of symptoms:

Open Original Shared Link

Gee...I have some of those less obvious things and didn't know it.

Jestgar Rising Star

hmm, me too

oh, wait, I don't have any fillings...

purple Community Regular
hmm, me too

oh, wait, I don't have any fillings...

I'm so glad you don't have fillings..they are a pain.

Just wondering though...Have you ever been tested for heavy metal toxicity?

Lisa Mentor

Good gracious! If I believed everything I read on the internet, I'd be long dead. :o That place can scare you do death, so to speak.

Do some research and apply some common sense to what you find and then contact a professional that specialized in that field.

curlyfries Contributor
over the holidays i tried all the diets and had a very crummy time because i was so preoccupied with it

How long were you on each diet? You need to be on a diet at least a month or two to know whether it will be of any benefit to you.

Jestgar Rising Star
I'm so glad you don't have fillings..they are a pain.

Just wondering though...Have you ever been tested for heavy metal toxicity?

I haven't, I don't intend to. I think that a lot of the things they listed are vague. They could pertain to anything, or nothing. That particular site seems a bit like a scare blog. I pretty much skip sites that expect you to believe what they're telling you, without offering any proof.

AliB Enthusiast
How long were you on each diet? You need to be on a diet at least a month or two to know whether it will be of any benefit to you.

I agree. Dylan you can't just be on a diet for a couple days and expect a response. It doesn't work like that. The body needs time to detox.

It could take months or even a year or two to really get the benefit, but any progress, even slow, is better than no progress at all, which is where you are at right now!

There are many of us on here who are following special diets, like the SCD, Paleo, Raw Food, whatever and getting a lot of benefit. It is possible. I have told you about Brenda who has recovered from Bipolar and other health issues by following the SCD and latterly Raw Food - she is so full of energy and feeling fantastic!

We are proof that you can do it. You only get out as much as you put in. Wouldn't it be so much easier if you and your Mum could do it together - you would be able to give each other the needed support and encouragement.

Don't forget that there are thousands of people who do live on islands and eat very healthily on coconuts, and fruit and fresh vegetables and fish.

Guess what, they don't suffer with OCD, or bipolar, or schizophrenia, or any of our 'Western' diseases, either.

mr. moore Explorer

thank you. to give you an idea of how i view the world, these are the ones i experience: (takes deep breath)

this one is in response to my tounge. i looked at it and in the center it has like this white stuff, almost all of it in the middle and going back, you can't scrape it off so i guess it's most people's tounges?

i noticed alot of this are symptoms of celiac, and what i thought i had, petite mal seizures.

here's the rest:

Poor muscle-eye coordination

Frequent interruption of the short-term memory

General difficulty socializing and interacting with people

Loss of interest in doing interactive activities (video games)

Inability to exactly repeat a long sentence that someone just said

Blurting out words in an incomprehensible way

Low ability to hear oneself speaking; poor registration or poor comprehension of one

mr. moore Explorer
I haven't, I don't intend to. I think that a lot of the things they listed are vague. They could pertain to anything, or nothing. That particular site seems a bit like a scare blog. I pretty much skip sites that expect you to believe what they're telling you, without offering any proof.

yeah that's what i expected, especially when i go to one of my "specialty doctors" i have in the past 6 months.

its like saying "i have a headache what is the problem?" and your bombarded with explanations. i don't know. but again if you want, i can tell you guys the many doctors ive been to! id be glad to really, maybe because im thought of as a hypochondriac by most .

Archived