This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Developing New Allergies

SandyStPeteFL

SandyStPeteFL Rookie

Now all of a sudden this past year I became allergic to: Hair color products, bee and wasp stings, a variety of anti-biotics (tetras in particular) and now nutmeg and red dye food coloring. I was diagnosed (blood work) in November with Celiac, I have the DQ2 gene and the biopsy came back with the diagnosis of Celiac.

Has this happened to anyone else? Developing new allergies?

Does anyone know of a really good bread machine bread mix? I bought Bob's Red Mill to try it. I am not impressed with the freezer bread at all.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Amber M Explorer
Now all of a sudden this past year I became allergic to: Hair color products, bee and wasp stings, a variety of anti-biotics (tetras in particular) and now nutmeg and red dye food coloring. I was diagnosed (blood work) in November with Celiac, I have the DQ2 gene and the biopsy came back with the diagnosis of Celiac.

Has this happened to anyone else? Developing new allergies?

Does anyone know of a really good bread machine bread mix? I bought Bob's Red Mill to try it. I am not impressed with the freezer bread at all.

Your right, the freezer and other prepared breads suck!! I used a bread maker and found a few good mixes. I can't remember them now because I had to stop eating them. I can't digest any grains but rice right now. I found them in local stores though. They were good. It's worth buying the bread maker for sure.

Allergies, well, I had some before gluten, like soy, tomatoes, some lugumes, (round beans), some antiboitics and clams. Now, I of course can't eat gluten, but recently can not eat other grains, but don't actually show an allergy to them. It is just that they are hard on the digestive system right now. My allergist says I can try those again later. The new allergies are to peanuts, green beans, peas (the rest of the lugume family.) I'm sure I am forgeting something! LOL! I think while our immune system has been comprimised, we are more seseptable to other allergies. Perhaps in time, when your system is healed, things will be better.

Something tells me not to get stung by a bee or wasp. I have an intuition that it could be deadly! I avoid them for that reason! OMG, I hope I don't get it to Hair Color. I really don't want to show all of my white hair yet!!! Hang in there, we know what it's like!

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

I developed my seasonal and animal allergies as a teenager. We had cats in the house when I was a young child and had no problems but by the time I was a teenager we had to get rid of them I was so allergic. That's also around the time I started to have my stomach issues. I am pretty sure the two were related. I haven't yet seen my allergies get better though. I still have hope. I'm only 5 months into the gluten free diet.

Bell Apprentice

Did your new allergies appear after you stopped eating gluten?

I'm not sure why but it seems to be quite common for this to happen. When I stopped eating gluten, suddenly I became intolerant to dairy - but now I am eating gluten again in advance of my biopsy (ugh!) I am not bothered by milk any more. The symptoms in response to dairy are quite different than from gluten, so I can tell. It's all quite peculiar.

Amber M Explorer

I'm not sure why but it seems to be quite common for this to happen. When I stopped eating gluten, suddenly I became intolerant to dairy - but now I am eating gluten again in advance of my biopsy (ugh!) I am not bothered by milk any more. The symptoms in response to dairy are quite different than from gluten, so I can tell. It's all quite peculiar.

I'm sorry you have to eat the gluten right now. I chose not to and the biopsy came back negative after being gluten free for over 2 months. But I had the gene test because of that. I don't have a problem with dairy, at least not yet, but the other intorerances, I noticed after being gluten free, but what I think is that I felt so sick before that I may not have realized that more than gluten was bothering me. I became more alert to things I ate and how I felt once I went gluten free. I do feel they are all related, at least in the food things. When you have upper or lower intestinal problems caused by the gluten, it causes other types of proteins unable to be broken down. My allergist says everything is connected somehow.

I hope you don't get to sick eating the gluten and I do wonder why you can do the dairy now, that is odd. I guess we need to be sceintists to figure it all out.

SGWhiskers Collaborator

I'm with you on the increasing allergies. 4 years ago, I got sick with what I think was the beginning of the Celiac. Blood tests at that time showed milk and egg and environmental allergies. None of which I ever thought I had. Fast forward to 4 months ago and my positive endoscopy. Now, I find I'm reacting to bananas, shea butter, and latex. There is at least one other thing in my diet causing grief. I'm totally/freakishly gluten-free, and am still having symptoms some days. 2 years ago, a bee stung me and I got a 6 inch itchy/painful welt. The doc said don't worry, but I'll be sucking down a benadryl if I ever get stung again. I hope you find good ways of managing the allergies and we all avoid getting more.

SGWhiskers

Amber M Explorer
I'm with you on the increasing allergies. 4 years ago, I got sick with what I think was the beginning of the Celiac. Blood tests at that time showed milk and egg and environmental allergies. None of which I ever thought I had. Fast forward to 4 months ago and my positive endoscopy. Now, I find I'm reacting to bananas, shea butter, and latex. There is at least one other thing in my diet causing grief. I'm totally/freakishly gluten-free, and am still having symptoms some days. 2 years ago, a bee stung me and I got a 6 inch itchy/painful welt. The doc said don't worry, but I'll be sucking down a benadryl if I ever get stung again. I hope you find good ways of managing the allergies and we all avoid getting more.

SGWhiskers

With that kind of reaction to a bee sting, I'd worry about the next time too. A nurse told me (when my husband was in the hospital and they were asking allergy questions) that until something is introduced to the body at least once, you won't have a reaction until the antibodies are produced. It takes the second or third time before it is severe. So I'd say your bee sting reaction is leading to the possibility of a worse reaction. That reminds me, I want to have benadryl on hand too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AliB Enthusiast

I am sure that there is a definite causal link between allergies and Leaky Gut. The more damage there is to the gut, the more allergic the responses.

I thought that the fact you said that you have become allergic to antibiotics quite pointed. Anyone who reads my posts will be familiar with the fact that I am convinced that a lot of our health issues actually stem from antibiotic over-use.

Because they kill the good guys as well as the bad, they leave the gut unprotected, allowing pathogens to move in and set up home in places they shouldn't normally be.

Kill the soldiers, and the city is unprotected. The good guys are there to fight the pathogens, support the immune system and to keep us healthy in a symbiotic partnership. Drugs like antibiotics upset that fragile balance and we end up in a state of dysbiosis, which leads to many and varied health problems and a toxic pathogen-friendly body. A weakened immune system then leaves us vulnerable to further infections and inflammation, for which a trip to the doc for yet another course of antibiotics deepens the issue and compounds the cycle of damage.

The whole situation is further compounded by the food we eat - many of us with gut damage do not digest food properly, particularly sugars and carbs that feed the pathogens. Even gluten-free foods can often make things worse rather than better, because they are typically VERY high in carbohydrates, which is more than likely why so many don't get better on a gluten-free diet, may recover briefly until the microbes find a new food source (which is when we suddenly find ourselves developing an intolerance to yet another food, like corn, or soy), or only find that certain health issues improve but not others.

I, and quite a few others on the forum are following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD), which is designed to help the gut, and the body, heal properly. It removes anything processed or 'chemicalised', all di- and poly-saccharide carbohydrates like sugar, grains and starches and certain dairy products that contribute to the damage cycle, and concentrates on good wholesome (and preferably organic) meat, fish, poultry, fruit, veg, nuts, honey and home-made long-cultured probiotic yogurt for gut 'reflorestation'. There is a thread on the 'Other Food Intolerances' section where we encourage and support each other on the diet, and a recipe thread in the 'Recipes' section.

I would recommend anyone who is not getting better just on gluten-free alone, or who is developing further intolerances or allergies to give the diet a try. It is not a weight-loss diet - it is a healing diet.

SandyStPeteFL Rookie

No, they appeared within the past couple of years and I am in my late fifties. I could not tolerate dairy but now I have no issues with that. It just seems like everybody is different in their reactions to all this.

SandyStPeteFL Rookie

SGWhiskers

My doctor told me that the more you get stung, the less your body disposes of the toxins and you can have a really bad reaction to the poison in the "sting". So now I keep benadryl handy at all times.

Archived