This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To Celiac And Having Heart Palps

codyb87

codyb87 Rookie

I am having trouble sleeping as my heart seems to be keeping me up. Its like every time i try to completely fall asleep my heart will beat just a little quicker to keep me awake. Ive been dealing with anemia for years and now and a doctor I saw last says I show symptoms of celiac disease. I have never had sleep problems or disorders.

anyone getting the same problem? there seems to be many posts about this kind of stuff, although alot of them are never exactly what your experiencing yourself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flourgirl Apprentice

Hi! I was having lots of heart palpitations, irregular/early beats. Started having problems long ago, but doctors kind of shrugged it off because they didn't have any clues, like "I don't know so it can't be too important". When I was very ill, before my diagnosis, I went through lots of tests including a monitor. In the end, it turned out mainly malabsorption issues and lack of nutrientsfrom Celiac.

I can say that now that I'm finally healing gut-wise, the heart issues are much less. I still don't sleep well, but I think that may be a whole other matter. I'm still looking for answers....it gets really confusing with Celiac....what is caused by it that may eventually resolve, and what is not caused by it and still needs attention. Good luck to you in finding answers.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

My palpitations never woke me up but I can tell you about my experience. I began experiencing heart palpitations about 8 years ago (right after my son was born). I had to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours but they found nothing wrong. They continued off and on until I went gluten free about 6 months ago. Now, I can't remember the last time I had one.

MELINE Enthusiast

My heart palpitations are always because of food intolerance. Do you still eat dairy / casein?

Meline

codyb87 Rookie
My heart palpitations are always because of food intolerance. Do you still eat dairy / casein?

Meline

Yes I do eat dairy, and I dont even know what casein is! Im not technically diagnosed with celiac yet, but all signs seem to be pointing that way, I dont know if i should start cutting out glutten right away to be safe? I'm in a very demanding school program so any help or self treatement would be great asap! Also, Ive never experienced stomache aches or cramping in a long long time.

mushroom Proficient

Yep, had that problem for 45 years before gluten-free. No medical professional was interested. Menopause along with that was living hell. Racing heart with heavy thumping; had to have valium to get to sleep. I still have it a little bit but nothing like it used to be. At this point, I am not thinking yet of avoiding any more foods. having quit gluten, lactose, corn, soy, nightshades.

Don't stop gluten until after you have been tested or you will likely invalidate your tests.

MELINE Enthusiast

oops....I thought you were already gluten free....So follow that advise that has already been posted, don't stop gluten before your test. Have you scheduled tests for celiac?

casein info: Open Original Shared Link

Heart palpitation due to food intolerance appears within 10-40 minutes after eating the "guilty" item. The trouble is that if you eat something complicated (for example ice cream) you will not be able to tell if it was the gluten, the sugar, the lactose, the arificial colours etc etc...

so....how hard is it for you to eat simple foods? and then see what happens within 10-40 minutes??

eat potatos only, and then eat chicken only, and then bread only .....Sounds hard.....?

The next best solution would be to get a test for food intolerances.

(assuming you've already checked your thyroid.....)

Heart palpitation is very often a sign that a food is not doing well in your body. But of course it could be so many other things. To tell you the truth my intolerances at the begining would only make my heart beat like crazy. No stomach pain / bloating. When my body decided that I am so stupid to keep ignoring the heart signs, it gave me extreme bloating so I could finally stop eating like a fool. :P :P

Meline

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast
(assuming you've already checked your thyroid.....)

It would be a good idea to do this if you haven't already. TSH is inexpensive and easy to check (just a blood test). The normal range is 0.3 to 3.0. If your number is below that (let's say 0.1) that means you have hyperthyroidism. Graves' disease is a condition where your thyroid starts producing too many hormones, which speeds up your metabolism, heart rate, and raises your blood pressure. This can lead to palpitations. Some of the other signs are insomnia, anxiety, intolerance to heat (lots of sweating), and sometimes bulging eyes.

Like celiac disease, Graves' disease is an autoimmune disorder. Having one autoimmune disorder puts you at risk for others.

AliB Enthusiast

Coo, when my digestion got really bad I was getting palps a lot - one thing I noticed was I would get them about the same time late in the evening when sat at the PC. I would go very clammy with it too for a few minutes and sometimes feel a bit light-headed too, and wondered whether it might have had anything to do with when the last food I ate got to a certain point in my gut or something linked to it.

I was having a few squares of bitter choc and did wonder also if it might have been a soya reaction but I can't digest carbs very well at all so I am sure that didn't help.

Improved a little on gluten-free, dairy-free and I rarely, if ever get it now since cutting out the carbs.

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

My heart used to skip a lot right before I was diagnosed. I was having a lot of PVC's. They did a thyroid test and had me wear a monitor for a week. My thyroid was low, but the Dr. didn't read the results right and told me I was "right in the middle of normal." They diagnosed me with a heart arrhythmia but never told me, and kept telling me I was just overly sensitive and to try and not think about it. Then I was diagnosed hypothyroid and gluten intolerant by a naturopath and haven't had a problem since I went gluten-free and started taking thyroid meds. When I see the regular Dr., they're still clueless and say "oh that's great you figured that all out on your own." (yeah because going there did NOTHING for me, and I had to do all your work for you, jerks.) Doctors suck, imho. <_<

codyb87 Rookie

Wow this is an amazing amount of help in one day thankyou all. I am seeing my hemotologist on tuesday but until then i seem to keep eating things that make my heart react the same way as noted at the beggining of this thread.

Is there anything I can do to calm the feeling down until I get the proper tests and diagnoses? As long as I can sleep I feel I can put up with the disscomfort for now.

Also yes i will be mentioning thyroid as well to be checked becuase that sounds alot like what Im going through.

MELINE Enthusiast

.......Whenever I have a food intolerance pboblem or I am glutened, I try the water..I mean I drink plenty of water to get rid of the toxins.

When you eat something that you are intolerant to, your body recognizes it as toxin (and it is reacting wit several ways, one of them could be heart palpitation). So one way to stop the unpleasant effects is to detox. I do that by drinking a lot of water.

All that assuming that your problem is due to food intolerance.

Meline

ENF Enthusiast

If you don't do this already, I would recommend taking fish oil supplements, or eating fish several times a week. This seems to keep my mitral valve prolapse and other valve problems from bothering me too much.

I saw two hematologists, before my Celiac diagnosis, and neither one even mentioned Celiac. They just gave me Rx's for iron because of severe anemia. My ferritin level was zero.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast
I am having trouble sleeping as my heart seems to be keeping me up. Its like every time i try to completely fall asleep my heart will beat just a little quicker to keep me awake. Ive been dealing with anemia for years and now and a doctor I saw last says I show symptoms of celiac disease. I have never had sleep problems or disorders.

anyone getting the same problem? there seems to be many posts about this kind of stuff, although alot of them are never exactly what your experiencing yourself.

Do you take any cold medicine before you go to bed? Some medicines like Sudafed for example will make your heart rate increase (decongestants -- if you have any type of heart problems).

I know during the busy season at work I sometimes eat gluten free frozen things a lot that I buy at the store or things that may have grease in them...If I eat this way too many days in a row or too often I will get heart palps again. But since I have been on the gluten free diet and not eating crummy type foods they have pretty much gone away - I still get them once in a while but not as often as I use to. When they start up I just try to relax and drink lots of water, if it is from something I ate then sometimes it helps lesson it.

I take medicine to keep my heart rate down but have noticed a great change in how I feel with that since being completely gluten free. It is amazing how many things are linked to gluten.

Hope you figure things out and feel better soon

Edit: I would keep a food journal if you can. This way you can keep track of what you are eating and make notes on how you are feeling. I have noticed that my heart rate will increase with certain green foods and tomato sauces. I also have problems with MSG. Just a thought.

codyb87 Rookie

Wow the whole detox with water thing really helps. I actually slept last night thank god! The food journal thing is a good idea and Im starting one but Im having a lot of problems figuring out what all has gluten and what doesnt. It seems to be that I either have to constantly check ingredients and refer to charts on the internet to see if its safe, or just go with what ever ive figured out already that doesnt hurt me.

I had an all natural granola bar today with rolled oats, honey and nuts and it gave me problems. it was literally the healthiest thing I could have picked at my school consession stand lol. But I guess I have to understand that eating only healthy stuff doesnt mean gluten free.

The main thing im concerned about is that I havnt been technically diagnosed with celiac yet, and ive only noticed these heart palps and soreness after eating for 2 days now. If I do get tests done for celiac, then they wont be done and worked out for quite a long time, not sure how to handle all this in the mean time.

also I dont take cold medicine before bed or any medicine for that matter. Ive never been much of a pill taker.

• 2 weeks later...
Paul1 Newbie

I really had these issues before going dairy free many years ago. I'd still have periodic episodes, but they were much rarer and very mild. Haven't had a single issue since going gluten free in May. I am tempted to eat some dairy, though, just to see if blunted vili was the reason for all my dairy problems.

OP, when you say your heart speeds up, do you mean you have double heart beats? Like a normal heartrate is: beat... beat... beat. And you're having: beat... beat-beat... beat... beat... beat... beat-beat? Cause years ago I found a thyroid site that said it was a malnutrition thing and that Calcium deficiency would cause missed heartrates: beat... beat... beat... .... .... beat... beat. While a magnesium deficiency would cause double heart beats from the heart missing a relaxation cycle: beat... beat... beat-beat... beat...

TreeC Newbie

Have you had your potassium checked? When mine is low - I get heart palps - sometimes at night - anytime too - I drink a glass of water and it seems to help settle things down. Just a thought. Good Luck! T

I hate gluten Apprentice

OMGolly. So Im a new Celiac - diagnosed self by diet. And I come across this forum. I have mitro valve issues and only recently (the last 2 years) have I started in on palps. They gave me a high blood pressure medication for it because my heart rate and blood pressure went threw the roof. (hr-174 Bp 200/90) I was 27 at the time to younge to have a stroke. not even 2 min after the highblood pressure meds, my heart calmed down my palps went away. It was like i a miracle drug. The nurse walked in and was floored. I came in a noodle and then 2 min later I was fine. Did the hulters and month long hulters and everything is good. I just keep my meds with me. But I never thought that Celiacs could cause a trigger in palps. I understand your not being able to sleep with them it feels like you are getting kicked in the chest without the pain. I would get them checked out though. Like I said if it is as bad as you are saying, your blood pressure could be spiking also since your heart is racing. Plus if you are a Celiac I can almost bet you will do better in school, you wont be sick all the time, not as fatigued, able to concentrate and from what everyone is saying your heart might stop going crazy. I know it is easier said than done, but if you are not established with a doctor you may want to call them now to get an appointment beacause some docs have month long waits for new patients and at least you will have an appointment set up so you can have time to figure out how you can get there and warn your proffesors they may be more understanding if they knwo ahead of time rather then not show up. Sorry to ramble, I do not mean to sound like a parent but I wish I would have done the diet and seen a doctor along time ago, instead I was in a fog for years. Good luck

Archived