• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
Roda

Need An All Purpose Flour Blend Without Xanthan Gum

Rate this topic

I need a good all purpose gluten free blend recipe that is corn free also. I have a friend who's husband is allergic to corn. I have read that xanthan gum is a bacteria that is fed corn. What do you use in place of the xanthan gum? Thanks!

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

In any flour blend that calls for cornstarch use potato starch instead, in equal amounts.

For the xanthan gum use guar gum.

Gluten free pantry bread mix uses guar gum and not xanthan. You could use it without the yeast packet as a flour mix.

All the research I have done on gluten-free mixed say you can interchange guar and xanthan. The only difference is you are supposed to use 1/2 the guar. I used guar when I first started trying to make gluten-free products...big mistake...

If you are making bread, I have tried countless times to use guar gum and the bread/biscuits were more like a dense cake texture and didn't stay risen when cooled. They were great if a burglar broke in (I would have something to throw at him!!). I would research other gums and try them before I would use guar.

Sorry I know that wasn't much help but it was very frustrating when I was trying different recipes substituting guar for Xantan and they all turned out horribly inedible. Then I changed to Xantan gum and it was a night and day difference.

doing some quick research: Gelatin and agar agar are alternatives

Found this in my research as well:

For one loaf of bread, use 1 pkt of gelatin soaked in 1/4 cup cool water for 5 minutes. Also add about 1/2 C flaxseed meal (freshly ground is best). It can be soaked in boiling water (abt 1/2 C) until the water is cool enough to add to the bread.

Another trick I learned: Take about 1/2 cup of your rice flour for the recipe. Mix it with equal parts of water and boil --stirring constantly-- until it forms a nice gooey ball. All of these things combined should eliminate your need for any gums. And make a pretty decent loaf of bread too!

Oh, some people use flax seed made into a gel and another seed, I want to say chia but that doesn't sound right. Hopefully someone else will be able to answer this.

Edit, I found this online:

CHIA SEED GEL

1 Heaping TBSP Chia seeds, pulverized in a coffee grinder to (fine grind)

1 cup hot water

1) Heat 1 cup of water until its hot (not boiling). Grind the seeds in a coffee grinder and place in a 1 quart mixing bowl.

2) Pour 1 cup hot water over the ground seeds and whisk. Let set for 5 minutes to thicken.

Breads---Use 2-3 TBSP per loaf of bread whenever baking. May be added to any Basic bread recipe, including sourdough breads or baking soft breads & cinnamon rolls.

Rolls---Use about 3 TBSP.

Ads by Google:

All the research I have done on gluten-free mixed say you can interchange guar and xanthan. The only difference is you are supposed to use 1/2 the guar. I used guar when I first started trying to make gluten-free products...big mistake...
Actually, it is a 1/1 ratio. At least it is for me. I've used both, and they are for the most part interchangeable. The most notable difference is that guar gum has a better texture for cakes. I've used it a lot, and it works ok, just not quite as bread-like as xanthan.

Thanks everyone for the help. I gave this information to my friend. She told me she looked over his paper yesterday and she was mistaken that he is not allergic to corn. This makes things a lot easier for him. If anything this is good info for others and who knows, I may experiment myself. I was able to give them some of my Tom Sawyer flour to try, but he still can not have the Better Batter that I have since the pectin is made from lemons. He has a citrus allergy.

Ads by Google: