This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Synthroid Versus Levothyroxin

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

After reading the post about the name brand synthroid not being positive that it is gluten free, I spoke to my doctor about trying the generic version. Of course, I got the generic that wasn't listed on glutenfreedrugs.com. I did e-mail Mylan and got a phone call back saying that they don't put gluten in any of their medications. They said that the use corn and rice for the fillers. My doctor did tell me when some of his patients changed to the generic they needed to take an extra pill a week. I do absorb medication in strange ways, so we will see.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DakotaRN Newbie

I too am on Synthroid. Not everyone can take the generic Levothyroxine and have to take name brand. The name brand Synthroid from Abbott laboratories is gluten free. Hope this helps.

wowzer Community Regular

If you look on glutenfreedrugs.com, Abbott can no longer guarantee that all strengths of synthroid are gluten free. I did call them and was told they survey their suppliers and the suppliers say their isn't gluten, yet Abbott will not say yes there is gluten or no there is not. All I know since the last time I filled my synthroid, I feel like I am getting glutened from somewhere. At first I thought that it was the holidays, but it is still going on. Others on this site have called Abbott also. I know that Abbott seems to be doing the CYA, but I just feel I need to be told yes or no, not figure it out for yourself.

DakotaRN Newbie

Thanks for the info.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Did I miss something? You have one company (Abbott) that says their suppliers say there is no gluten but they won't make a guarantee. You have another company (Mylan) that says they don't put gluten in their generic product.

We all have to make our choices on these but I don't see either of these are any more likely or less likely to be an issue. If anything, the fact that Abbott routinely surveys their suppliers instead of just saying "WE don't add any" makes me slightly more trusting of them.

mindwiped Rookie

I take the generic Synthriod, Mylan's Levothyroxin, and was started on samples of the name brand, I've noticed no difference between the two, personally. I know everyone's different, and some have issues, but as long as you're feeling well, stay with the same dose. Likewise, if you start slowing down again, have your PCP up your dose, or draw bloods for comparison. FYI- I'm not the celiac, DH is, so if the Mylan's brand is glutened, I wouldn't know.

cynicaltomorrow Contributor

I take Levothyroxine. Not sure what brand or whatever. But I've never had a problem with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
jacques mom Newbie

I had my thyroid removed in February 2009, and I have just had a personal experience with using Synthroid. After taking the 112 mcg dosage for 2 weeks, I started having progressively worsening intestinal cramping. At first, I thought it was a virus, but since it lasted much longer and I had no other virus-type symptoms, I narrowed the problem down to being the last thing I changed in my diet---that is, when I began taking Synthroid PINK-colored 112 tablets! My husband and I did some research and found out that these 112 mcg tablets contain Red Dye No. 27 Lake, which is not gluten-free. This is what the manufacturer uses to color their tablets PINK. Although we have no chemical proof of our findings, the intestinal cramping stopped immediately when I stopped using the Synthroid brand. I switched to using Levoxyl's 112 mcg pill, which Monarch industries guarantees IS gluten-free. My husband spoke directly to an Abbott representative, and they STILL WILL NOT guarantee that their Synthroid brand of 112 mcg tablets is gluten-free. A couple of days later, an Abbott representative called my husband back and asked if he would be willing to give them details of my adverse reaction to using their Synthroid product so that they would have an official report for the company. Perhaps this is a requirement of the FDA whenever someone has a reaction. My advice for any Celiac with a very sensitive and reactive colon is to NOT use Synthroid brand of PINK 112 mcg tablets. (Note: Other dosages they manufacturer do not contain any red dye so they might be okay.) Hope this information helps others.

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Good note about the dye :(

I take the yellow 100mcg Synthroid tablets. I started with generic levothyroxine, but I finally saw an endocrinologist and he wanted me to switch to the name brand (to ensure a more accurate dose from batch to batch). Personally, I haven't noticed much of a difference... I wouldn't hesitate to go back on the generic if I couldn't afford the name brand.

Roda Rising Star

I have taken both. I have taken the generic far more and longer than the brand name. I don't have any problems with it either. I only have to pay $10.00 for a three month supply if I get the generic. I have not tried to ask for the brand name one. I suspect the ins. would not pay as well. I had an endocrinologist once tell me the same thing about switching to synthroid to ensure more consistency between batches because most of his patients were on that. I was on the generic at the time and he said well then it should not matter as long as you are taking the same brand of generic the dose should be consistent from batch to batch.

PattyBoots Apprentice

Wow.

I take Levoxyl 137 mcg - and I still have my thyroid!

I spent several years asking to get my thyroid checked because I was rashy, exhausted and gaining weight regardless. NOBODY would run any kind of test - they (several doctors, OB/GYN, GP) just told me I had "elbow disease" - which is a euphemism for overeating. If anything, I've always eaten about half what other people eat and most people comment on the small amounts I eat. So, I finally went to one of those "mall health fairs" and spent $35.00 to get a blood test, which showed, lo and behold! My TSH was roughly 3.5. I then found an endo, who immediately said, basically, "Of course you need to be on meds, and we need to get a sonogram," etc., which made me feel better - until the jerk decided the other reason why I felt bad was because I was "depressed" and gave me samples and a 'scrip for Effexor. Which I refused to take until I did some research and then I REALLY refused to take it. C'mon - something that usually requires liquid Prozac to wean you off of it? NO THANKS!

BUT, I've always been on Mylan - when the company that makes it is in West Virginia, and you LIVE in West Virginia, that's what you get :)

• 1 year later...
tcbphd Newbie

I've been gluten free for over a year and suddenly I have been so ill for almost two weeks. I know I am not eating anything with gluten. The only thing I have done is started a new thyroid prescription (levothyroxine/synthroid). Upon closer inspection I realize that I am taking Abbott's name brand pills now rather than my usual generic. I am stopping the new script immediately and ordering more medication...back to the generic!

Archived