This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cheese

irish

irish Contributor

Hi does anyone know of a company that makes gluten free mozzarella cheese and gluten free parmesan cheese? Thanks for all your help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Libbyk

How about blue cheese or gorganzola? (While we are on the subject...)

gf4life Enthusiast

I can't really help you out here, since I am casein intolerant and can't eat cheese, but I do know that blue cheese is pretty much off limits, since the mold they use to make it "blue" is often harvested from bread, and thus is not gluten-free.

As for the other questions someone else will have to help you out there. ;)

Mariann

gf4life Enthusiast

Well maybe I can help you out. This includes all dairy products not just cheese.

This is from food list Open Original Shared Link that you can print out if you want to. Always check the labels though, just to make sure, and eliminate (I suggest crossing it off your list so you don't accidently get it again) anything that seems to bother you.

DAIRY PRODUCTS

Alpine Lace cheese: all except fat- free spreads

Alouette all potted cheese

Athenos: all block cheese

Bel/ Kaukauna: Cold pack Cheese cups, logs, balls in sharp, extra sharp cheddar,

smoky cheddar, port wine, swiss almond regular, lite

Bel Laughing Cow products: cheezbits, Babybel, Bonbel, Gouda, Edam, Wedges

Blue Bunny: reg, lite sour cream; YOGURT: all Lite 85, all regular except banana

cream pie, lemon berry, those with crispy rice

Boar

kejohe Apprentice

Wow! Mariann thanks for the great list!

Guest Libbyk

thank you-

I am happy and dandy about ginging up wheat, but I love my cheese.

• 2 weeks later...
lionphish Newbie

So...does cheese have Gluten in it or not?

I'm confuzed I thought that Gluten was the protein in cereals like wheat, oats....etc

How could cheese have gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gf4life Enthusiast

Cheese does not have gluten in it, until the manufacturer of the cheese product adds it in. Like cottage cheese and yogurt sometimes contain gluten in one of the added ingredients. Shredded cheese and cheese products often have gluten added either in them or as a powder to keep shredded cheese pieces from sticking to each other.

Block cheeses are usually safe. You can always contact the manufacterer of the brand you normally buy, just to be sure.

God bless,

Mariann

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Veined Cheeses, such as blue cheese, are not concidered safe because the mold(veins) are usually started from bread cultures.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Guest Libbyk

sorry if I was unclear, lionphish.

What I meant was, giving up gluten when I found out I had celiac disease was a joy, but I am suspicious that I may a lactose intolerance, and so have to give up dairy as well,and I have not accepted that with the same good grace. (isn't one food group enough!)

Lib

ps- I have heard that there may be some gorganzolas that are not made off of a bread mold. finding out is my pet project right now, but I would love to know if somebody has an insight here...

• 4 years later...
sc'Que? Collaborator

Wow, you know... where I come from, the real cheese does not have "brand names". Real cheese comes from small farms, who sell to European distributors, who in turn sell to US importers. In the market, they are often just labeled with the town or country of origin. Brand names may or may not be attached along the journey, but the real stuff generally does not have a brand affixed at the market. In fact, I am less likely to purchase cheese with a brand-name attached, because (for better or worse) I perceive it to be of lesser quality.

~sc'eric

ps. American cheese is not real cheese; American cheese is "cheese-food"--it's what real cheese eats for dinner!

• 1 month later...
ksb43 Apprentice

I know this post is kind of old, but I was just reading about cheese in a magazine and some washed rind cheeses are actually washed with beer. Also sometimes bacteria is added to the rinds (I'm not sure if these bacteria also have a risk of being cultured on bread). So it seems like some of the artisanal cheeses that you wouldn't otherwise suspect, may actually contain gluten.

The cheese rind, when there is one, is usually distinctive and there are many variations. Dry natural rind is formed by the curds at the edges of the cheese as it dries out. This is tough, hard and thick. Soft bloomy, white rinds have a growth of mold from sprayed Penicillium spores on the surface. These rinds are white when fresh but darken with age. They may or may not be eaten, as desired. Washed rind cheeses are washed with water, brine, wine or beer, and sometimes they develop a bacterial growth that varies from yellow to dark red. These rinds are often smelly and rarely eaten. Sometimes cheeses are encompassed in rinds not originating with the cheese itself. Such rinds can be of herbs, leaves, wax, or even ashes.

• 1 year later...
babygirl123 Newbie

so the list above with the dairy...those are all gluten free?? or is that a list of not gluten free? this is my second day going gluten free, my 3yr old daughter was just diagnosed with it....so much to learn and where to begin.

Mtndog Collaborator

Veined Cheeses, such as blue cheese, are not concidered safe because the mold(veins) are usually started from bread cultures.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

This used to be the case with blue cheese, but not so much anymore. Still ALWAYS read labels.

so the list above with the dairy...those are all gluten free?? or is that a list of not gluten free? this is my second day going gluten free, my 3yr old daughter was just diagnosed with it....so much to learn and where to begin.

That was a gluten-free list but I think it's old. Cheese is generally gluten-free but cheese products may contain gluten (like salad dressing, cheese dips and spreads). You should always read the labels.

kareng Grand Master

I haven't found any cheese with gluten yet. If you want to be really safe, Kraft always lists allergens at the end of the ingredients list. I find that to be a big relief.

lovegrov Collaborator

Note that this is a VERY old thread and information in it is quite out of date.

Cheeses in general are all gluten-free. Including blue cheeses.

richard

• 6 months later...
creatingcarly Newbie

I can't really help you out here, since I am casein intolerant and can't eat cheese, but I do know that blue cheese is pretty much off limits, since the mold they use to make it "blue" is often harvested from bread, and thus is not gluten-free.

As for the other questions someone else will have to help you out there. ;)

Mariann

Did some research on bleu cheese...

Open Original Shared Link

"Well, celiac sufferers need worry no more. The Canadian Celiac Association recently released a study showing that blue cheese is in fact gluten-free. The study tested three blues where the mold is harvested off of gluten-containing media during production: Quebec's St. Benoit and Alexis de Portneuf, and Roquefort. They also tested two cheeses where the mold was grown on gluten-free media.

In all cases, they found that the resulting cheeses each contained less than one part per million of gluten. For comparison's sake, the current definition of "gluten-free" being considered by the FDA is 20 parts per million. This puts these well below the limits set by the FDA (as well as its European equivalent). So blue cheese is a go for celiac sufferers! Enjoy!"

Still, always read labels, ask questions, and do your research!

• 3 years later...
Mid-Thirties-GlutenFree Newbie

Well maybe I can help you out. This includes all dairy products not just cheese.

This is from food list Open Original Shared Link that you can print out if you want to. Always check the labels though, just to make sure, and eliminate (I suggest crossing it off your list so you don't accidently get it again) anything that seems to bother you.

DAIRY PRODUCTS

Alpine Lace cheese: all except fat- free spreads

Alouette all potted cheese

Athenos: all block cheese

Bel/ Kaukauna: Cold pack Cheese cups, logs, balls in sharp, extra sharp cheddar,

smoky cheddar, port wine, swiss almond regular, lite

Bel Laughing Cow products: cheezbits, Babybel, Bonbel, Gouda, Edam, Wedges

Blue Bunny: reg, lite sour cream; YOGURT: all Lite 85, all regular except banana

cream pie, lemon berry, those with crispy rice

Boar�s Head: American yellow & white, blue chees, Vermont cheddar, mozzarella,

Gold Label Swiss, Monterey Jack & with jalapenos, Gouda, Edam

Borden (800.426.7336) all products ; Egg Nog in a Can

Breakstone Cottage Cheese, regular only; sour cream- regular only

Cabot's Cheese (www. cabotcheese. com) All

Cabot's Creamery Dairy Products (all products - the modified food starch is corn),

including Cottage Cheese (found at Sam's Club, Wal- Mart, Cub Foods, and Costco)

Colombo Yogurt and Gogurt (except those containing crunchy granola or graham

crackers)

Cracker Barrel Natural Cheddar extra sharp, sharp, medium, mild, swiss, colby,

mozzarella, parmesan, romano, montery jack

Crystal Farms All of their Natural Cheeses, Shredded Cheddar, Colby, Mozzarella,

Monterey Jack, Marble Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss, Muenster, Havarti, Farmer

cheeses, Cream Cheese, and Ricotta Cheese.

Darigold Yogurt; Cottage Cheese; Liquid Milk; Sour Cream; Butter

Frigo (Saputo) (800.824.3373) (www. saputo. com)

Blue Cheese; Cheddar Shred; Feta; Gorgonzola; Grated Parmesan; Grated Romano;

Mozzarella Chunks; Mozzarella Shred; Parmesan Shred; Parmesan Wedges; Pizza

Shred; Provolone Shred; Provolone Slices; Ricotta (all types); Romano Shred;

Romano Wedges; String Cheese; Taco Shred

Han�s Cheddar and Port Wine Spread, Swiss Almond Spread

Healthy Choice Cheeses, all varieties

Hillshire Farms Double Cheese Log; Smokey Cheddar Cheese Log

Hormel Add Ons Cheese: Genoa, Colby, Monterey Jack, Mozzerella, Swiss,

Cheddar

Hyvee: all block and sliced cheese and smooth& cheesy, american cheese food, party cheese; SHREDDED 4 cheese italian, colby jack, mild/ sharp cheddar, mozzerella, mex cheese blend, parmesan, pizza, taco, grated parmesan; YOGURT: all except apple granola, yogurt to go

Jewel (920.437.7601) Natural and processed cheeses, including processed american,

shredded cheese, and processed cheese food

Kraft, Cracker Barrel, Polly- O, Athenos: Brick Type cheddar, blue, feta, Swiss,

Colby, mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan, romano, Monterey Jack, processed cheese �

Kraft singles and Velveeta

Kemps sour cream; YOGURT: all except gluten mix- ins such as granola, Yo- Stix

Land O Lakes (800- 328- 4155) ( www. landolakes. com) All natural products and

processed cheese, yogurt

Meijer Cream Cheese; Sour Cream; Shredded Cheddar; Shredded Mozzerella

Mid- America Farms (now Dairy Farmers of America) cheeses (even American

Cheese are gluten-free (available at Sam's Club)

Philadelphia Cream Cheese� unflavored

Rondele Gourmet Cheese Spreads: All varieties

SAFEWAY Grated Parmesan Cheese (3, 8 & 16oz.)

SAFEWAY Cheese Spread, Aerosol (American, Cheddar and Sharp)

Sargento (www. sargento. com) All Natural Cheeses (EXCEPT Shredded Imitation

Mozzarella Cheese; Shredded Taco Cheese; Shredded Nacho & Taco Cheese; or our

6 Cheese Zesty Mexican Recipe Blend), all Mootown Snackers except pretzel,

cookie, cracker

Schuslberg cheese

Snackwells yogurt: all

Stella Asiago; Blue Cheese; Feta; Fontinella; Gorgonzola; Grated Parmesan; Grated

Romano; Italian Sharp; Kasseri; Mozzarella; Parmesan Wedges; Provolone; Quattro

Formaggi; Romano Shred; Romano Wedges

Tillamook cheese, yogurt, butter, and sour cream products

Trader Joe�s Boursin Cheese

Trader Joe�s Cheese Blocks & Wedges (except Blue Cheese)

Trader Joe�s Shredded Cheese, Mozzarella, Parmesan, and Jarlsberg

Trader Joe�s Whipped Cream Cheese, Regular and Lite

Trader Joe�s Yogurt: All flavors except Vanilla and Vanana

Yoplait Yogurt (General Mills) (800.967.5248) All products (except those

containing crunchy granola or graham crackers)

Is boursin cheese not on this list?  Sigh - wail - moan - shaking fists at the sky!  Is says "cross-contamination may occur on machines/equipment?"  I need my cheeses.

Mid-Thirties-GlutenFree Newbie

thank you-

I am happy and dandy about ginging up wheat, but I love my cheese.

Me too!! :)

kareng Grand Master

Is boursin cheese not on this list?  Sigh - wail - moan - shaking fists at the sky!  Is says "cross-contamination may occur on machines/equipment?"  I need my cheeses.

THis info is from 2004. Products change. Read the ingredients to get the most up to date info.

Archived