This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

2 Weeks Gluten Free And Can't Stop Eating! What's Happening?

dostoyevsky

dostoyevsky Rookie

I gave up gluten about 2 weeks ago to see whether it was the cause of my acne. For the past week I have been eating loads and my stomach has really expanded. This is weird because I thought that it was gluten that bloated you.

I'm not too upset about this... I've been trying to gain weight since I was a kid when everyone called me anorexic. It's just confusing me and I want to find out why this is happening. My meals have got a lot bigger and I'm constantly snacking... it feels like I can't get full even though my stomach looks the fullest it's ever been.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I can relate to the bloating and constant hunger after going gluten-free. It took about a year of it before it began to slowly settle down. From the many posts on the subject, I think it's just the body's attempts to right itself - to overcome/make up for the nutrient deficiencies which it had for so long.

One thing I needed was healthy fats, and coconut oil worked very well. Supplements also help. I noticed less bloating once I started taking magnesium. A strong B-complex might be a good idea as well.

Try to eat as healthily as you can. Nutrient-dense foods will help your body get back on track sooner. You will get there!

lovegrov Collaborator

Not unusual. Your body is starving for nutrients.

richard

Tallforagirl Rookie
I can relate to the bloating and constant hunger after going gluten-free. It took about a year of it before it began to slowly settle down. From the many posts on the subject, I think it's just the body's attempts to right itself - to overcome/make up for the nutrient deficiencies which it had for so long.

One thing I needed was healthy fats, and coconut oil worked very well. Supplements also help. I noticed less bloating once I started taking magnesium. strong B-complex might be a good idea as well.

Try to eat as healthily as you can. Nutrient-dense foods will help your body get back on track sooner. You will get there!

A year ago I couldn't put on weight for love nor money, and I was ravenous the whole time. Now the weight is going on for sure! I am less hungry now that I am gluten-free but there's still the psychological need to have food constantly at hand, and to eat at the first sign of hunger.

As RiceGuy says, foods which are high in healthy fats will help with satiety, as will complex carbohydrates.

Sources of healthy fats include: avocado, coconut (fresh, milk and/or oil), oily fish (sardines, salmon etc), nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, olive oil, sesame oil.

Complex carbohydrates include: whole grains (gluten-free grains include quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat, amranth, teff), corn, vegetables especially carrots, squash and yams, fruit, beans, peas and lentils.

Try to make sure you are filling up on healthy wholesome food rather than stuffing yourself with junk, and you can't really go wrong. Your body will know when it's reached the point where you don't need to constantly eat anymore.

happygirl Collaborator

"Q: I feel hungry all the time. Is that normal?

Yes, it is very common. Your body is making up for the time it wasn't fully absorbing foods. Hunger levels tend to normalize within the first months after eliminating gluten and beginning a well balanced diet of gluten-free foods."

Archived