This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Celiac(s) From Canada

Gerri

dnwiebe Newbie
HI, I'm from Vancouver Canada, and joined this site today. I got my world turned upsidedown just three days ago. I'm also blessed with a severe, severe dairy allergy, eggs, and sunflower seeds, just to name the most severe.

In the past three days I've come to understand that my carefree eating will now be very, very changed. Thank god I can have coffee still!!!!!!

I too will have a bunch of questions that will probably be repeats...like...I'm already confused...cornstarch is out as well? hmmm...is there a list of foods to avoid on here somwhere?

I think I'm very lucky. I live in a large city, so access to special diet items may be easier....and I work in a clinic with many fabulous professionals with great advice and experience with this. I guess life could be worse. lol

Anyone know how long it takes to start feeling relief from symptoms?

Welcome!

I'm pretty new at this too, so my advice might not be the best. First, I'm pretty sure you can still have corn starch. You have to watch out for things like 'food' starch, since it could possibly be wheat. There are gov't regulations in Canada and the US though, and manufacturers should have to state the type of starch if it does contain one of the main allergens (wheat is one of them). I was only diagnosed 2 months ago, and I've learned the big ones to watch out for are malt (it hides in everything!) and natural flavor. Although you can potentially have stuff containing natural flavor, it often requires more research (looking it up online or contacting the manufacturer).

As for the symptoms, I've also learnt that everyone has a different degree of celiac.. if that makes sense. What one person can have, another might not be able to. Some people are sick for a long time, others feel instant relief as soon as they switch over. The trick is to just stay positive. You will have some good days, and will have some bad days. I like trying new and different recipes (quinoa salad!) in order to keep my meals interesting!

Hope that helps a little... good luck! :)

Dani

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
miloandotis Apprentice

I'm having a great difficulty figuring out sushi. I know soy sauce is out, but is miso soup and wasabi? Also, is there anything added to the rice that I need to avoid? Any other Canadians know these answers? Honestly....I can give up the beer....but really...sushi is just too much to ask! lol

• 2 weeks later...
A long journey Newbie

Hi fellow Canadians

I live in Revelstoke British Columbia but was originally from the coast.

My niece is celiac too, but lives in Vancouver where more resources, gluten free goods are available, and more importantly, is a good cook!

I am not 'diagnosed' as celiac, although, 50 years ago, as a baby, I was!

Yes, back then, the belief was that it was something you grow out of.

The last 20 years of my life have been hell. I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder, depression, ADD, by the professionals, went through multiple 'spirtual' healings, psychotherapy, 'interventions'. THe last few years of my marriage were in a fog, I was on anti-depressants, dexedrine.... I have had the intestinal problems, rash on my elbows, restless irratable legs, foggy headedness, anxiety, depression all my adult life. The doctors allways refered me to a psychiatrist. I had mentioned on several occasions that I was diagnosed celiac as a child.

I still am not sure, for sure if I am celiac. I insisted on a Gastronintologist a year ago, waited 6 months for the appointment and it got cancelled (it was a 3 hour drive) SO I keep thinking along the lines that I have been told- and going back to gluten.

My mental state is bad and am barely able to look after myself, I am living alone, so I really would appreciate some support. Going glutten free (or relatively) has allowed me to get off the drugs, but still being unsure of my diagnosis, and worried that I am just a hypochondriac, I still get doubts and end up going back to glutten. I am back on the diet now,(just started a few days ago) and want to insist to my doctor that I get a proper diagnosis.

My original decission to go gluten free came after severe stress causing symptoms that I discovered were glutten related, along with severe gastrointestinal problems. A month after going gluten free I went in, told the doctor I wanted a test, told him I had been off Gluten awhile, and he said it would still show the anti-bodies it I was.

There was no definitive test results with the blood test, and I have had no vist to the gastrointologist.

Long story.... I need some support here. Just to stick to the diet, and re-think 20 years of psychobabble.

K-Dawg Explorer

Shout out from Toronto. Hey everyone.

Still consider myself newly diagnosed (end of April 2009).

I've recently noticed that my neighbourhood Metro has created an organics section in every aisle where I can find gluten free food -- makes things easier for sure.

I'm on the look out for a corn tortilla (allergic to rice). Any suggestions? Sent an email to whole foods, but haven't heard back

K-Dawg

Pac Apprentice
Shout out from Toronto. Hey everyone.

Still consider myself newly diagnosed (end of April 2009).

I've recently noticed that my neighbourhood Metro has created an organics section in every aisle where I can find gluten free food -- makes things easier for sure.

I'm on the look out for a corn tortilla (allergic to rice). Any suggestions? Sent an email to whole foods, but haven't heard back

K-Dawg

I've found Manny's corn tortillas here in our store, looked them up at the company's website and they should be gluten-free. And LaTortillaFactory makes gluten-free teff tortillas - check the www.latortillafactory.com, I'm almost sure they are rice-free as well.

PS: I still haven't found any starch free sour cream and gluten-free jerky here. :(

K-Dawg Explorer
I've found Manny's corn tortillas here in our store, looked them up at the company's website and they should be gluten-free. And LaTortillaFactory makes gluten-free teff tortillas - check the www.latortillafactory.com, I'm almost sure they are rice-free as well.

PS: I still haven't found any starch free sour cream and gluten-free jerky here. :(

Thanks Pac! Guess I'm going to whole foods tomorrow. I'll check out the LaTortillaFactory site as well.

curiousgeorge Rookie

Metro has corn tortillas in the bakery section along with the regular ones. They are even marked gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

K-Dawg Explorer
Metro has corn tortillas in the bakery section along with the regular ones. They are even marked gluten-free!

No way! Thanks!

I'll have to check out the metro near me. If there are none, I'll be asking you what metro you go to. lol

ibanezgurlie Newbie

I currently live in Michigan, but moving to North Bay Ontario beginning of September!!!

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

I grew up in the GTA and am currently in Winnipeg (diagnosed here in the 'Peg)

I'm brand new here, hi to my fellow Canadians :)

Hi there!

I'm from Winnipeg, MB.

I have a cousin who is Celiac from Halifax also.

K-Dawg Explorer

Hey Jillian:

Welcome to the board!!

I live in toronto, but I"ve spent lots of time in the Peg as my mother lived there. She recently moved to a middle of nowhere place (lol) called Roseisle.

Hope you find this board helpful!

I grew up in the GTA and am currently in Winnipeg (diagnosed here in the 'Peg)

I'm brand new here, hi to my fellow Canadians :)

chefkevin Newbie

Hi There,

New to the site today, and just looking around the board to see what the chattter is. Fellow Canuck Chef Kevin here from sleepy little Bear River, Nova Scotia... down around Digby. I'm a personal chef & instructor by trade (and genetics), operate a catering business and two websites (so far). My wife and I are also importers of organic coconut oil, coconut flour and other coconut products from Vietnam, all of which are certified gluten-free, and we supply all four Atlantic Provinces with our organic products.

I noticed this sushi problem and wanted to let you know that Superstore here carried Life Source soy sauce which is gluten-free, so you should be able to use that and still get your sushi fix :)

One thing I did notice (or didn't notice really) is any reference to coconut flour as a gluten-free alternative to other flours. Coconut flour is low-carb, has the highest fibre of nearly any flour on the planet and is amazing to bake/cook with. Many of my cooking class participants are either celiac or are wheat free and absolutely love it. Not sure if I'm allowed to add my website or email address here, but if so I will send you folks a link to check out more information on our website here at The Down East Coconut Company. I'm sure one of the moderators will let me/us know :)

Yours in Natural Health,

Chef Kevin

I'm having a great difficulty figuring out sushi. I know soy sauce is out, but is miso soup and wasabi? Also, is there anything added to the rice that I need to avoid? Any other Canadians know these answers? Honestly....I can give up the beer....but really...sushi is just too much to ask! lol
LBethanyC Newbie

I'm from Newfoundland, Haha.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

I'm from white rock, BC, about to move to Kamloops.

• 1 month later...
bpyner Newbie

Hi - I'm from Delta BC just south of Vancouver. I was diagnosed with kidney disease 2 1/2 years ago and did a massive diet change. I was then diagnosed with Celiac in July 2009. I don't have any abdominal problems but do suffer from autoimmune issues. I have been gluten free for about a month, now, and already feel less tired and achy. I hoping to halt osteoporosis and avoid any more iron IV's. Not sure if my kidneys will improve but just to feel well is my aim!!

I have found that Save on Foods/Price Right/ Overwaitea are a wonderful source of gluten free products. I haven't ventured into baking with different flours, yet, but will in the future.

Cheers

Barb

lunasmom Newbie

Another Canuck here from Regina Saskatchewan. Just registered today!

Will post soon.

• 3 weeks later...
Surattius Newbie

Hello all, Vancouver calling.

Anyone else with a recently-diagnosed depressed eight year old?

I'm getting tired of baking things that he doesn't even want to try.

Susan

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

Welcome Susan,

This category of the form https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showforum=7 has a lot of parents of children with celiac disease and this one https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showforum=10 is specifically for parents with children with celiac disease. Of course, you're welcome to post anywhere you want :) but you might find those boards give you better responses.

Welcome & good luck,

Jillian

Hello all, Vancouver calling.

Anyone else with a recently-diagnosed depressed eight year old?

I'm getting tired of baking things that he doesn't even want to try.

Susan

Kay-dee Newbie

Heya, I'm in Kingston Ontario :)

• 1 month later...
MikeyD Newbie

Hi I'm Mike, a Brit, living in Burlington, Ontario. Just joined this forum today.

Still awaiting diagnosis but been gluten free for nearly a month and feeling a million times better.

Kinda scared that I have to eat gluten again in the coming weeks ready for my biopsy.

Really lucky that there are two great health food stores just here in town who have been really, really helpful.

I'm learning to cook and loving it!

Good to be here! :D

Raven's Mum Newbie
Heya, I'm in Kingston Ontario :)

I used to live in Kingston! :)

I'm living in Surrey, B.C. now although it's my daughter that has celiac, not myself as far as I know.

Raven's Mum Newbie

We are sushi addicts and are traumatized about not getting to go out for sushi. :( We use the Braggs brand gluten free soy sauce at home, but I'm worried about the wasabi and cross contamination in restraunts. One of the food services people at the Children's hospital was telling us we can get shushi ready fish in Vancouver so we might have to start makig out own! lol

K-Dawg Explorer

Shout out from Toronto Ontaro!

Welcome to the board.

K-Dawg

I am new to Celiac (54 year old female), even though I have watched what I ate for many years. I had Gluten problems for many years. Always sick at Christmas, and holidays, acid reflux problems getting worse, vitamin D deficiency, vitamin B12 low, and a list of other health issues getting worse.

Last year my doctor at the time told me to go Gluten Free for the rest of my life. He hoped it would stop the progression of other autoimmune diseases. Since going gluten free my diabetes is controlled, and my sleep apnea's pressure is coming down. I have since been diagnosed with Celiac.

I am from Ontario Canada, and wonder if there are there are others from Canada here.

Hugs

Gerri

• 1 month later...
Ryan T Rookie

Hey everyone! Im a 29 year old male from Edmonton. Havent been on the site for awhile, but plan to visit more often. Anyways just wanted to say hi..

KristaleeJane Contributor

Welcome Canadians

I am living on Vancouver Island, I am originally from PEI. I have found this website very helpful especially in the beginning. I was diagnosed in Apr 2008, and have been strictly gluten free ever since, couldn't have it any other way. My sister got tested after I was diagnosed and she also has celiac disease and is Type 1 diabetic, she is symptom free as of today and is having a hard time going gluten free because she has no symptoms.

I would love to know of anyone who has found some great gluten free products,as I am always on the hunt for better cheaper products.

Krista

Archived