This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sharp Piercing Pain In My Ear

Curvey

Curvey Newbie

Hi there,

I am new to being a Celiac, and have been gluten-free over a month. Since going gluten-free, I've had occasional sudden sharp piercing pain in my left ear, followed by a migrane.

Then, my husband and I had a miscommunication, and I used the grill without washing it after he grilled a sandwich in it. So I know I got glutenized, and then got the ear pain right after eating - that must be what I get, right?

So, it's been going on for about 5 days now, off and on. I am worried that there is something wrong that isn't related to Celiac. Does anyone else get this ear pain.

Man, this is frustrating!!! :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Leidenschaft

I have had sharp, piercing pain in my ears before as well, although I've never associated them with Celiac, and never had headaches following an incident...

However I have had what I've dubbed "my left temple pounders" for years and years. I would wake up with a dull throb in my left temple, or develope it through the day and many times go to bed with it. I would usually find that it was related to stiff neck and shoulder, however since being gluten-free for over a year, I think I've only had one or two! :)

This probably doesn't help much, but I've not heard of anyone else having the ear pain before, so felt I should reply! :P It's quite excruciating when it happens, which fortunately for me is not often! I had many ear infections as a kid, and I'm such a baby about that kind of pain! :unsure: I'd be interested to hear more views on this!

Curvey Newbie

Thank you so much for your response. I'm still looking for a link through the www, but haven't found anything. Hopefully something comes up in this forum :)

take care

lovegrov Collaborator

Never heard of this as a gluten reaction.

richard, roanoke, va.

Curvey Newbie

I have been by a coworker that his wife loses her hearing when she has an attack. I'm wondering if there is a connection?

Lynne Billington Newbie

My husband who is GI has been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia which is a facial nerve that affects the ear, jaw, sinuses. I'm thinking this would fall into the peripheral neuropathy they attribute to celiac disease/GI. He takes an epilepsy medication to control it. Some days it's much worse than others. Some days it's non-existent. Typically trigeminal neuralgia comes and goes. His comes and stays and can be very severe. Hide your head under a pillow and pray it stops -- kind of like migraines. Hope this isn't what you're starting to experience because it's NO fun. But this whole celiac disease/GI thing isn't either.

Lynne :(

judy05 Apprentice

Hi Lynne,

My mother also had Trigeminal Neuralgia for many years. She died last month from heart failure. Hers would come and go, but she was pretty well controlled by taking Tegretol. She seemed to be bothered mostly by the change in seasons. Last October I took her out of the nursing home to stay with me but she suffered terribly because my house wasn't as warm as the nursing home and the doctor advised me to put her back. Mom didn't have celiac but did have a lot of digestive problems, she probably should have been tested. I agree that it is a terrible disease, when hers flared up she couldn't eat, wash her face or brush her teeth. I always had to make sure she got darvocet or vicodin to relieve the pain. I think it must be related to gluten but have yet to find any research about it. Tell your husband I wish him well and to stay gluten-free!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

judy05 Apprentice

Curvey,

I have had pain in my ears and also on the side of my head. My allergist said they were caused by my sinuses. However a few nights ago my ear felt "weird". I couldn't stand to have the TV turned up, it was like being very sound sensitive. It only lasted about 15 minutes. I told my husband, but he didn't say much about it, he kind of goes along with whatever is wrong with me, doesn't get excited.

jcgirl Apprentice

I have had sharp pain in my ears and they constantly feel as though there is fluid in them. The doctor always says that there is no fluid in my ears and dismissing the earaches. I would too would get migraines and think that they were triggered by a sinus/ear infection. Sense being gluten-free I have not had a migraine but still have the ear thing going on. Although it does not sound as bad as you have experienced. Both the ear, nose, throut doctor and the dentist seem to believe that it is caused by TMJ.

Curvey Newbie

WOW! The feedback here has been increditable! Thank you so very much. I am now looking into this condition. I really appreciate it, you may have saved me from many doctors trip and testing :)

Lynne Billington Newbie

With the trigeminal neuralgia, he says his teeth often feel like they belong to somebody else. And as far as sinuses, he thought that's what his was. He's had four sinus surgeries in the past and his last one was six months previous to when the TN started. He went to her first and she scoped him and said there was NOTHING wrong with his sinuses or ears and she sent him on to a neurologist. But like I said, his is more a constant pain when it's bad. He uses Trileptal three times a day everyday and then hydrocodone for pain when it's bad.

Hope all you members with the sharp ear pains can figure it out.

Lynne B)

Guest BellyTimber

Wow ... I get sharp pains in (mainly right) ear, dull pains in ears, temporary partial hearing loss, "turns" (mainly mornings), sensitive hearing.

Before going largely gluten-free I had bad sinuses a lot. One year my head clicked every time I took a step, all year!

:lol:

Michael

Archived