This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Cry At The Drop Of A Hat

*lee-lee*

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i don't know what the heck my problem is but i can't seem to not cry. it seems to be getting worse as of late and i don't know how to stop. i cry over everything and it is driving me insane. i can't have a normal conversation with my boyfriend without crying. then he gets frustrated and yells at me. but i can't help it. (and of course i'm crying right now, as i'm typing). i even got all teary watching the season finale of the Girls Next Door last night, when Kendra was moving out and saying good bye to everyone. OMG how lame am i???? i don't think it's related to Celiac but i guess it could be...i've been gluten-free for 8 months and feeling great aside from Niagara Falls pouring out of my eyes all the time.

am i crazy or does this happen to other people? and how do i stop being so sensitive?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Crystal Brown Rookie

Do you have any other things going on besides the crying? Do you feel motivated to do things? Are you feeling especially tired at all?

Do you notice any relation with the crying and your boyfriend? You mentioned you cry during certain TV shows.. but I am wondering if there is a link to the TV show and your boyfriend? Any other crying triggers?

*hugs*

I do know how you feel... Been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt..

It'll be okay, promise.

missy'smom Collaborator

This is what happens to me when I've ingetsted gluten from cross-contamination. Check products, even gluten-free ones for manufactured on shared lines etc. Even 5ppm is enough to get me.

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i'm not sure if there's necessarily any links to tv shows...i generally get teary whenever people are saying goodbye or if some dies or if something particularly happy and sentimental happens. it's embarrassing. like on Survivor when the family comes to visit...i have to choke back tears and focus my attention on picking the lint off my sweater.

things are definitely stressful right now. i'm not working and haven't been for almost 6 months. my boyfriend just got accepted into a 2 year medical program with pretty much guaranteed job placement upon graduation, which is totally awesome. but at the same time it means we have to put our entire lives on hold until he's done. i'll have to work to support us both and we can't get married, buy a house or have kids for at least 2 1/2 years. i've always had a sinking feeling that it would not be easy for me to get pregnant. now, i'm not sure if that's just my pessimistic personality kicking in but the thought puts knots in my stomach and it's all i can think about for days on end. i know the responsible thing to do is to suck it up and deal with it but it's super frustrating to me. and every time i say anything about it to him, i cry and he gets mad. he feels like i'm not being supportive but that's not it at all.

i'm such a mess right now. and i'm going out of town tomorrow for a few days to help take care of my sick grandfather. that's probably not helping the stress levels either!

Crystal Brown Rookie

Oooh honey, your 2009 sounds just like my 2008.. right down to the not being able to get married yet or not sure if you can have kids! Oh and the sick grandparent part too.

My guess, you're going through a bit of depression - trust me, I hate even using the word - but what you're going through sounds very familiar.

I would cry for no reason, wasn't motivated, always hurt and then sort of let my personal hygiene slip (that's when I knew things were REALLY bad). I would say that after my Grandmother died and my Dad was in an 8 car pile-up, then my medical insurance was canceled, lost my job and then had to start filing for bankruptcy.. I was crying at anything! The best thing I did though was try and stay positive, so even if that pessimistic side was rearing its ugly head, I would try and do one positive thing every day. I did hit rock bottom (on Christmas), but once I did, I was able to start building myself back up. Oh and not being able to eat gluten, can also cause some bouts of depression, especially if you didn't let yourself get upset about it when you were first diagnosed.

I really wish you the best of luck. It is okay to cry. Have you explained to your boyfriend that you just feel overwhelmed in general and not necessarily with him? I had to have that talk with my boyfriend. He thought I was mad at him for not wanting to get married right away, so I had to sit down with him and try to explain my crazy brain. In the end, it helped him to understand and his support really helped me keep fighting and get through everything.

Quick question - what is your Grandfather's prognosis?

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

2007 was my year from Hell :(

What really helps me... aside from the gluten-free diet... is taking vitamin D supplements. 4,000iu per day (from cod liver oil). Wow!! I honestly cannot remember the last time I felt this emotionally stable. It must have been before puberty.

I still have plenty of stress in my life... I just don't feel the need to cry as much :)

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

thanks you guys...i just talked to my boyfriend again (he works nights so most of our major conversations happen on the phone) and explained to him that some people just cry more than others. he seemed to accept that, as he is not one to cry. i know what we're doing is for the best, in the long run, it's just hard to handle right now. oh and i just realized i'm getting my period tomorrow so that could also be adding to my emotions right now!

Zella - they thought my grandfather had some really bad bacterial virus (c-diff?) but it turns out it's salmonella. not overly major in and of itself but he's 82 and has had 2 strokes over the years. it's really done a number on his body and now the salmonella is causing disorientation and is making him a bit combative with anyone who isn't family. it's taking a toll on grandma too, of course. i'm sure he'll be fine and hopefully coming home soon but right now we're just trying to keep family at the hospital as much as possible. i guess this is where my lack of employment is coming in handy! ;)

so vitamin D, huh? i'm taking a multi-vitamin but i can try adding some extra D in. at this point, i'll try anything. my eyes hurt from crying so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

dont qoute me on this, but another thing may be hormonal changes as a result of changing your diet. I've been through quite a hormonal rollercoaster since going gluten-free...its just starting to even out now...but there were times where I would cry for no reason, even of front of peopleI normally dont cry in front of..it was like it was uncontrollable.....add that on top of stress...and yeah.....niagara falls...

things will get better. good luck with everything :)

SGWhiskers Collaborator

You sound just like me at various points in my life. I tried a dozen different antidepressants before I found the right one for me. Cymbalta has made as much a difference in my mood and pain levels as going gluten free did. Try all the healthy things that everyone here suggests, but dont rule out antidepressants. Sometimes they are what is needed to help turn a depression around.

And looking back, my husband and I put our lives on hold for college and financial reasons. While there were times it was hard and I was depressed, our lives are so much better for having waited. Since you are gluten-free now, your fertility shouldn't suffer much between now and 2-3 years. (Assuming you are under 30 something).

Good luck and take care of yourself.

SGW

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I second the vit D. I take between 2000-4000 units a day as well as a calcium/magnesium suppliment. I call them my "happy pills" I've been off antidepressants since. I would, however, suggest going to your dr for a physical and checkup and have all of the blood tests done to see what's going on--all of your blood levels, chemistry, hormones--everything!! This may give you some insight into the problem. I did the same thing and found out that I was severely deficient in the magnesium and vit. D, as well as boarderline anemic....

Good luck!

Lexi Enthusiast

I can definitely relate to you. I cry a lot too. I think it is mostly because I want to feel healthy again. I was so sick before I found out I had Celiac Disease, and now I'm still sick all the time because of all the crazy food allergies I have developed and my constant joint and muscle pain. I never know what my day will be like when I wake up in the morning. It makes me sad because I know my kids must miss their "old Mommy". I also cried during the whole episode of Girl Next Door!! I was so glad my husband wasn't home to witness it. I know he would have made fun of me the whole time. I have always LOVED that show though. Hang in there. Feel free to write me anytime if you just feel like crying - I will be there for you!

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Like everyone else has said, sounds to me like stress/emotional overload. I've been through times like what you're going through, where everything makes you cry, and you just feel on edge all the time. I used to cry all the time when watching TV. I still do occasionally. And when reading a good book :) I say, when you're alone, or the BF understands you're just releasing emotions, let yourself cry! It can be very theraputic to some people. I always get a good cry or two in when it's that-time-of-the-month.

Make sure you're taking care of yourself, fulfilling your needs. I didn't want to get back on anymore antidepressants, so my doctor had me get on a vitamin B-complex, which is supposed to help with mood stabilizing. I feel great now. I also regularly exercise, get a massage about once a month, and set aside time to do things I want to do (like get on this forum, read, take baths, hike, garden). You can't efficiently take care of anyone else if you're not taking care of yourself first. Hang in there!

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

thank you everyone for sharing your stories and words of encouragement. i just got back (earlier than planned) from visiting my grandfather in the hospital. i wanted to stay longer but i woke up this morning with the beginning of a cold and that's the last thing i want to pass on to him to i decided to cut the visit short and head home.

i just joined the gym a few weeks ago so it's not really fun yet (more like a chore) but i'm hoping to get into a good routine. i know i'll feel better overall if i can get myself into it. i might see if i can volunteer at the hospital too...kill some of my free time and maybe even manage to get a real job there!

i've also decided to not worry if i cry over something silly. i can't really help it so why dwell on it?

it also really helps to have this forum where we can all come together and reach out for support. sometimes a little positive reinforcement can go a long way.

Archived