This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Using My Browser Back Button

plantime

plantime Contributor

After I post, I use my browser's back button to get back to the list of threads. It takes at least three clicks of the button to get back, and the time to wait for it to reload. Is there a faster way of going back after posting?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Up on the menu bar it says "view new posts" if you click that it will take you to all the posts since your last log-in. Once you have read them they become lighter in color than the ones you haven't read yet.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

celiac3270 Collaborator

This is what I do so that I don't have to go back all the time:

1) Go to view new posts

2) Right click on a post you want to view

3) Select "open in new window".

4) This opens a new window for that post so when you're done, you "x" out that post and the "view new posts" window is right there as you left it.

5) Repeat steps 1-4 as many times as necessary :)

gf4life Enthusiast

celiac3270,

That must be how you sometimes reply back to my posts less than 30 seconds after I have made my post! :lol:

God bless,

Mariann

plantime Contributor

Thank you celiac3270! :) I use view new posts every time I log on, so I knew about that feature. I just didn't know how to go from reading on post to the next without wasting valuable reading/posting time waiting on my browser.

plantime Contributor
:lol: Thank you again, celiac3270! This is so much easier and less time consuming! I should have asked sooner! <_<
granny Rookie
This is what I do so that I don't have to go back all the time:

1) Go to view new posts

2) Right click on a post you want to view

3) Select "open in new window".

4) This opens a new window for that post so when you're done, you "x" out that post and the "view new posts" window is right there as you left it.

5) Repeat steps 1-4 as many times as necessary :)

Thank you, thank you!!! I was doing the same thing as Mariann and had started visiting other sites, even tho this is my favorite, in desperation. The back botton had become so-o-o slow. Now I can enjoy my favorite site again. You are a great help to those of us who are learning; the computer, as well as about gluten-free living. Granny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roo Explorer

celiac3270,

Where does it say "open in new window"? After I click on the post I want to read it just goes right to it. I have an apple it doesn't have a right and left click only one click.

Also what do you do if when you click view new post and it shows there have been tons of new posts that you haven't seen yet, but at that time you don't have time to read them all? Cause seems the next time you sign on, the computer assumes you have read those posts and so when you click view new posts it only shows you the new new posts not the other new posts that you didn't read last time......Did I explain that well?

Roo

celiac3270 Collaborator

Yep...this method works pretty well--there's a slightly faster version, too. What I do is the open new window thing, but then I minimize the window while it's opening. Then I do open new window again, but mimimize the new window when it comes up. I do this until all the posts I want to read are open. This way you save the time of even waiting for one window to open because by the time you've done all that, the first few topics are loaded. Then you can really just read and close, read and close...that's about as fine tuned as my posting and reading strategy is :D

celiac3270 Collaborator

I see your points, but I've only used a mac once or twice ever so I don't really know the answer to the first one. On a PC there are two mouse buttons (left and right) with the left one doing what you described, just opening up the link. When you right click on a link, though, it brings up a menu with the options to open the link, open the link in a new window, save target as, print target, and a host of other options.

With the second question, I usually go to today's active topics, because then you see all the posts for the day, but the ones you haven't opened yet have the bright blue envelope and the ones you have opened have the faded envelope icon next to it. This way you know which ones to read...

plantime Contributor

Ah, advice from a veteran poster on how to post! Much needed by me! :D

celiac3270 Collaborator
Ah, advice from a veteran poster on how to post! Much needed by me! :D

Nope...not really how to post :D just how to post, using your time most effectively :lol:;)

Archived