This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Betty Crocker gluten-free Mixes

purple

celiackitcat Newbie

I'm in Michigan. I bought them at Kroger (haven't been able to find them at Walmart or Meijer) and found them in the local IGA (I think, it's a tiny store) in northern Michigan.

Also, wanted to note the mixes were $4.49 at Kroger and $4.69 at the other place. Pretty decent pricing for gluten free mixes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Friday I bought the cookies, brownies and yellow cake mix (I couldn't decide and I was headed to my grandparents for the weekend in a tiny town where I didn't think I would have any choices). Well, today I made the cookies. Very good but my turned out a little crumbly, may have to try it again and see if it comes out better.

The cookie dough pre-cooked is supposed to be crumbly if that is what you meant...I was worried until I saw that in the directions.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast
Hey Amy Leigh from MO! I'm in St Louis - are you saying I can go to Schnuck's and find the devil's food cake mix for my fiance's birthday cake that I have to make in 2 weeks!!?? This is fantastic! He can eat gluten, but I can't, so I told him he would have a gluten-free cake so I could practice gluten-free baking, and have his cake and eat it too ;)

Hi! I am from the St. Louis area (about 40 minutes west). Yes, most Schnucks stores now have the mixes. I have tried the cookies and brownies. They are really good. My son describes them as tasting "real" if that tells you anything :lol:

njbeachbum Explorer

has anyone found the mixes in NJ? i'm still looking and the rep that i got at general mills was no help at all! :-( my birthday is next friday, july 3rd and i'd like to have the cake mix by then

Silly Yak Pete Rookie

Try Pathmark here in Long Island they have all four mixes.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My local Wegmans has them in. I can't wait to try the Devil's Food with gobs of whipped cream on top.

avabellas-mom Newbie

For all the people who haven't found this mixes in their local stores, I bought a case of 6 bozes of cookie mix from (Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned). I used the subscribe and save feature (which can be cancelled after your first shipment) for $3.37 a box. I believe that this is cheaper than what they are at the grocery store. The dates are good on the boxes through May 2010. Just made a box of them and my celiac 3 year old and non-celiac 1 year old loved them!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lombardi25 Apprentice

I have been looking for these for the last month not knowing when/where I would find them and suddenly, today, out of the blue, I found them in the Market Basket in Seabrook, NH, so it looks like they finally made their way north. I have been looking in all the health food stores and grocery stores from Ipswich, MA to Dover, NH for these, so if you live anywhere in the area this should give you hope! Very reasonably priced too, only about 3.49 I think it was.

They had a nice big card that said NEW GLUTEN FREE too and had all four of the mixes (cookies, brownies, chocolate and vanilla cake). I got the cookies and brownies and had the wife cook up a batch of the brownies tonight, although she doesn't have Celiacs, she was excited for me so she was more than willing to make them. Tried them and they were GREAT, very very impressed at how good they taste. I will reccomend that anyone making them be aware that the cook time and temperature on the box seems a bit low and short. They were REALLY gooey when we took them out so we put them back in at 350 for about 5-10 more minutes after the times on the instructions and pulled them back out and they were great.

Anyways, another great step forward for Celiacs everywhere :-) My next big gluten-free "hit" is going to be when one of the local delivery places, whether it be a Pizza Hut/Dominoes/Papa Ginos type chain or local sub shop, wake up and get on board...that's the one major thing I lack where I am lol. I have a Godfather's Pizza one town over (only one in like the entire New England area I know of) but it's in a stinking gas station and they have the limited menu with no gluten-free options....grrr lol

Juliebove Rising Star

Central Market in Mill Creek WA has them. Didn't take note of the price.

njbeachbum Explorer
Try Pathmark here in Long Island they have all four mixes.

hey pete! long island is a hike but maybe i'll try a local pathmark.... did you find them in the regular betty crocker baking section? or was it in the gluten free area?

Silly Yak Pete Rookie

They are in the regular bakery aisle.

Jonbo Apprentice

So I finally found some in stock at Hy Vee in West Des Moines. They seemed to be grossly overcharging at $4.29 so I limited myself to 1 (it was WEST Des Moines so exploit the richer folk that live out there...) of the brownies for now until I find another store. This picture shows how popular they seem to be here at least.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Jonbo...090624-1919.webp

:lol:

=

Silly Yak Pete Rookie

I believe that was the price I paid for them. Finally made the brownie mix last night and they where amazing. Just have to try the two cake mixes now. So far 5 stars for both the cookie and brownie mix.

hannahp57 Contributor

They made it to NC!!!!!

I found the brownie, cookie, and devil's food cake mix in a food lion in fayetteville :D

can't wait to try some good chocolate chip cookies

njbeachbum Explorer

found the mixes at Wegman's in Princeton, NJ. purchased one of each....

made the brownies over the weekend and LOVED them... super easy and completely delicious!

Lisa Mentor

I found all four today and they just jumped in my cart.

I made the cookie mix and baked it in an 8x8 pan, added (another egg), dried cherries, coconut and pecans.......totally decadent!!!

Jonbo Apprentice
I believe that was the price I paid for them. Finally made the brownie mix last night and they where amazing. Just have to try the two cake mixes now. So far 5 stars for both the cookie and brownie mix.

Come to find out...it was location. One closer to my home had it all 20 cents cheaper. That adds up over time of course. Hoping to be able to make it this weekend finally with some time in.

brigala Explorer

Has anybody checked the Chex website for gluten-free recipes recently? They have a ton of newly added recipes, some of which include these Betty Crocker mixes. I saw one for a brownie that involved Chex cereal and the Betty Crocker gluten-free brownies that looked really good. I can't wait to find it on store shelves, since I can't quite bring myself to buy an entire case of each mix all at one time (my case of Devil's Food Cake just arrived, though, in time for my son's birthday next week).

-Elizabeth

darkhorse Apprentice

I found them in Colorado today! They had the brownies, cookies, and yellow cake mixes. I didn't get them because they contain potato flour/starch and I am avoiding nightshades. It was probably better for my flabby tummy anyway! :P They were in the regular baking aisle, just under the other Betty Crocker mixes. I think they were $4.29 or something very close to that.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I have found the Cookie and Brownie mix so far (Smith's grocery store) each $4.49.

The Brownies are really good but really sweet. The cookies were excellent as well.

My mom lives in Southern CA and just saw all of them at their local Stater Brothers grocery store, I think she said they were $4.99.

I just got an e-mail from a.m.a.z.o.n. and they sell them in 6 packs (all same kind not mix) for $23.82 so $3.97 a box if you like all of one kind.

I still like making my own desserts from recipes but.... it is nice to have some on hand (special occasions, last minute dessert or just because haha) and really neat that a main stream brand like this is taking action and making gluten free products :D

TiffLuvsBread Rookie

Mama Goose - dang that cookie cake business you concocted sounds out of control! What a brilliant idea! I may have to steal that, if I ever find an excuse to bake sweets again before another birthday or something ;o)

I have to just say, I made the devil's food cake for my fiance's birthday, and it must have been the most moist and delicious thing that has ever come from my own two hands. (I don't bake - thanks Betty.)

It does not come with a frosting (thankfully) so I made a chocolate ganache from scratch, and "iced" the cake with it. (So good, we ate it with a spoon). Then when I served it, we had the extra ganache at the table, fresh whipped cream (more like creme fresh) and blackberries and raspberries.

Oh. My. Lord. Let's say those of us who cannot have gluten (2) nearly died at the fact we could eat such deliciousness, and those of us who can have gluten (2) swore up and down I did something wrong and made a "real" cake as it was "TOO good" to be true. My super athletic 60-something-year-old-mom (er, I mean she's 39) is not a fan of cake, but this she devoured in a millisecond.

PattyBoots Apprentice

I found all of them (finally) at one of the Food Lions in Winchester, VA. I only picked up the Devil's Food; they were $4.29. Bless his heart, the old fart who checked me out did a spit-take and checked the receipt because he couldn't figure out why Betty Crocker (normally on sale for $0.99 for the regular stuff) was so high. On the Betty Crocker site there's a recipe for using the Devil's Food with orange juice to make an orange cake which sounds just wonderful!

elonwy Enthusiast

I found the yellow cake and the cookie. I made the yellow cake and marbled some of it using cocoa. I have to say, i have yet to find a white/yellow cake mix that isn't dry and weird and this was really really good. I'll be using it for the wedding cake in a few weeks. (The bottom is going to be a flat cake of yellow/marble and the top is going to be a chocolate castle).

The cookies were freaking amazing. They come out thin and lacey just the way mom used to make and I cannot stand them being in the house right now because I'm on a diet so the dress will fit :P I made them just to test them for the wedding, and they are a hit.

I am a fan of Betty Crocker again.

NoG4MeWV Newbie
I found the yellow cake and the cookie. I made the yellow cake and marbled some of it using cocoa. I have to say, i have yet to find a white/yellow cake mix that isn't dry and weird and this was really really good. I'll be using it for the wedding cake in a few weeks. (The bottom is going to be a flat cake of yellow/marble and the top is going to be a chocolate castle).

The cookies were freaking amazing. They come out thin and lacey just the way mom used to make and I cannot stand them being in the house right now because I'm on a diet so the dress will fit :P I made them just to test them for the wedding, and they are a hit.

I am a fan of Betty Crocker again.

Have you tried the brownies yet? They are unbelievable! Just like the real thing.

brigala Explorer

I made the cookies yesterday for 4th of July. Out of 13 people here, I am the only person on a gluten-free diet. And I was the only one who wasn't impressed with the cookies. LOL! It's just not my favorite "type" of chocolate chip cookie. It was still good, though... and my husband, who never really liked my pre-gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe, loved these. They were definitely a hit!

I just like mine with more substance. Maybe I need to add another egg, some gluten-free oats, and some brown sugar to the mix. My favorite recipe had oats and brown sugar, and I used to also like making it with 50/50 whole wheat flour... not for health reasons but because I liked the more robust texture.

Still, the case I bought online won't go to waste. I'm sure I'll keep making them. :-) Next will be the Devil's Food Cake I'll make for my son's birthday. While my son isn't gluten-free, several of his friends (and some of their parents) are so it will be nice to make a gluten-free cake we can all enjoy. I think I'll make cupcakes with sprinkles.

Has anybody tried to make the Devil's Food dairy-free yet? What did you substitute for the butter? One of my son's best friends is not gluten-free but is CF. Last time I made a special "allergen free" cake, he refused to eat it even though I had cleared it with his mother. He was too scared of it, but that was a couple years ago. This time, I'll ask HIM (not just his mom) first before I bother making him a CF cake. Boy, I sure know how he feels! I know people mean well when they offer to make me things gluten-free, but I am so much more comfortable just bringing my own food. It's taken me 2 years to figure out how to eat gluten-free, someone else isn't going to "get it" after just one phone call. Anyway, I will probably make 2 cake mixes since they aren't real big, and I bet I could easily make one of them with a CF butter-substitute.

-Elizabeth

Archived