• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Celiac.com E-Newsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsCeliac.com E-Newsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.
  • Celiac.com Sponsor:
    Celiac.com Sponsor:

Any Irish Out There?

5 posts in this topic

Hi. OK. Maiden name; Seymour. Grandmother: Helen Long. Great-grandmother: Molly Ahearn. Any relatives out there? My question is this- I eat corned beef and cabbage every St. Pat's day, but is it authentic?? I have a feeling that people in Ireland don't. Anyone know?

Ads by Google:
Ads by Google:

Hi. OK. Maiden name; Seymour. Grandmother: Helen Long. Great-grandmother: Molly Ahearn. Any relatives out there? My question is this- I eat corned beef and cabbage every St. Pat's day, but is it authentic?? I have a feeling that people in Ireland don't. Anyone know?

When I was in Ireland corned beef and cabbage was rarely on the menu. I think I saw it once and that was in Dublin.

But I can say I had absolutely no problems eating in Ireland and I love Ireland for many reasons.

I'm half or so irish, not the same families though :) (I'm McDonald, Dowling, and Inch)

I have lived in Ireland though, and my experience was this: while they do eat boiled seasoned meat and cabbage, fairly often, its not a specific St Patricks thing. St Patricks is a religious holiday. You go to Mass. And, its during Lent. So the giant partying is an American thing, though now some of it has retroactively spilled back to Ireland. Now there are parades and stuff, but its not traditional.

I'm the daughter of an irish immigrant who married into an irish-american family, does that count? :P

I don't really celebrate St Pat's outside my home, but I tend to make some traditional food for my friends. We're having a game day this weekend and I'm making some gluten-free soda bread and some mini meat pies, both foods from my childhood. I did eat a lot of boiled cabbage and potatoes and parsnips(ew) as a kid, mostly at my irish grannies house. I remember brisket but no corned beef like they sell on St. Pat's here, corned beef was always something you had as hash for breakfast.

Lamb stew with barley and dumplings was always our St Pat's meal. Of course now I use rice instead of barley and make the dumplings with Pamela's mix.. but hey, it works.

I am almost 1/2 Irish, mostly Swedish. My grandma always cooked "farm fresh" food but never taught us anything specifically Irish. Probably b/c she was an orphan and never learned. She taught me how to bake COOKIES! She was a great cook. Names are Anderson, Neilson and Peterson, beyond that IDK.

Ads by Google: