This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread

SBisglutenfree

SBisglutenfree Rookie

OK - I can't be the first to ask this question...but I'm nervous. I was told that my uncle, who has had Celiac for a long time now - eats Ezekiel's Sprouted Grain bread. I was told it's because its the sprouted grain and not the flour..??? I didn't understand why we can, but I was so excited that I just got some and had the best tuna sandwich in a while. I've only been gluten free for only a few weeks now, but I think I have a stomache ache already. Maybe it's just in my head.

Is this bread ok? I guess I'll know soon... :unsure:

Sandi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hez Enthusiast

I would not touch the stuff! Here is what the company says about gluten-free status

Are Food for Life sprouted breads "gluten free?"

Any product that contains wheat (including semolina, durum, spelt, triticale, and kamut) rye, barley, or oats cannot be considered Gluten-Free. What is important is the sprouting process, through enzymatic activity, changes gluten to a more digestible or tolerable state. Many individuals with mild gluten sensitivities use sprouted products with no adverse side affects or allergic reactions. However each person

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Unfortunately, it's not gluten-free. It's chock full of gluten grains. Food for life does make a few gluten-free products. They also make a few wheat-free products that contain gluten so you have to check their labels carefully.

Here's a list of their gluten-free products: Open Original Shared Link

SBisglutenfree Rookie

Thanks for the responses. So far I have a slight stomache ache and head ache, but it could be because I'm worried...but it tasted soooo goood.

S.

MNBeth Explorer

Please don't eat the Ezekiel Bread. It may be fine for people who simply have trouble digesting gluten, but celiac disease is not an inability to digest but an autoimmune response to gluten. I've never seen any research that would suggest that the sprouting process renders the gluten unrecognizable to a celiac's immune system.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

SB is Glutenfree, what an inappropiate user name especially if using Ezeikiel 4:9 Bread!!!

This is something you probably don't really want to read but it was the first in a list

after searching Ezeikiel bread :blink:

Open Original Shared Link

This I have to say is Tongue in Cheek, maybe reconsider what your eating! :o

Best Regards,

David

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

David, that link was quite entertaining!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa16 Collaborator

Thank you for posting this because I have been told many times by health food store workers that this bread is safe for celiacs. I always tried to set them straight, but sometimes they were exptremely insistent and swore that they know a so and so who is celiac can eat it. No way!

This bread is dangerous because they tend to put it right in there with the gluten-free breads.

Seriously folks-- leave it on the shelf and walk away.

SBisglutenfree Rookie
SB is Glutenfree, what an inappropiate user name especially if using Ezeikiel 4:9 Bread!!!

This is something you probably don't really want to read but it was the first in a list

Open Original Shared Link

This I have to say is Tongue in Cheek, maybe reconsider what your eating! :o

Best Regards,

David

Oh David - I already saw that website. Do you really think there's human dung in their bread? Give me a break... I'm very new at this (3 weeks this Wednesday) and was just trying to figure it all out. I'm testing the waters, so to speak, because there are a few members of my family with celiac and alot of allergies and food intolerances also. I have quite a bit of the symptoms, probably misdiagnosed which seems common - so I thought I would go gluten free to see if I feel better.

So far, everybody seemed to want to give advice and happy share their discoveries. I didn't expect to get mocked (I couldn't think of a username...). I definately don't need to be ridiculed in a forum. This will be my last entry.

S.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi SB,

I tend to think the Ezekial bread is not safe for us. There may be something to what you were told about the proteins being (partly) digested during the sprouting process. The way I read it, enzymes in the grain seed digest the proteins and provide food for the growing plant during germination. The catch to that is, how to tell if they have digested all 100% of the protein and rendered it harmless. I suppose if they knew the exact age in hours when a typical seedling might use up all the proteins, they might be able to time the harvesting of the sprouts. Then they would have to sort through all the sprouts and get rid of any non-sprouted seeds, or ones that didn't meet the typical sprout and grow curve. Seems to me there are a lot of chances for things to go wrong in that process.

Good for you giving the gluten-free diet a try! It is quite a learning experience eh? Most grocery stores where I shop have the Exekial bread right next to the gluten-free bread. It is almost like the stores consider it gluten-free, but it is not advertised by the company to be gluten-free. I have heard other people say that health food stores told them it was gluten-free. It really pays to check everything yourself, like you are doing here!

Oh, I am pretty sure IrishDaveyboy was just joking. Certainly that web site is way off the mark. The site does say it is meant to be satire.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
Oh David - I already saw that website. Do you really think there's human dung in their bread? Give me a break... I'm very new at this (3 weeks this Wednesday) and was just trying to figure it all out. I'm testing the waters, so to speak, because there are a few members of my family with celiac and alot of allergies and food intolerances also. I have quite a bit of the symptoms, probably misdiagnosed which seems common - so I thought I would go gluten free to see if I feel better.

So far, everybody seemed to want to give advice and happy share their discoveries. I didn't expect to get mocked (I couldn't think of a username...). I definately don't need to be ridiculed in a forum. This will be my last entry.

S.

Hi, I certainly wasn't mocking or ridiculing anyone!

Ezekiel 4:9 is made from grains that celiacs cannot tolerate, Barley, Spelt, Wheat.

I don't care if they are Organic, Sprouted, Washed, De-hulled etc

the fact is it doesn't change the grain.

I did say the piece was tongue in cheek, ie. Satire.

Here is an extract:

I got to sample a taste of Ezekiel 4:12 bread before its official release. The weird thing is that the added ingredient makes it tastes wonderful*. (notice the star, it means there's a footnote associated with the entry)

In fact, the flavor is so fantastic that I highly recommend it to any religious person. So while you Christians are waiting for Ezekiel 4:12 bread to come to your grocery store, why wait? Buy a loaf of Ezekiel 4:9 bread and crap on it before you put it in the toaster oven. And make sure that you poop on it in full sight of all your family members and friends. It's not only organic and live, but it's in the Bible!

Moreover, it's not like eating poop is unprecedented in the Bible. If you have a King James Bible, read II Kings 18:27 or Isaiah 36:12 where it talks about people eating their own poop and drinking their own piss. So you don't even need the bread part, and it's completely gluten free!

* (notice the star, this is the footnote)

Actually I never tasted Ezekiel 4:12 bread because it doesn't exist (although Ezekiel 4:9 bread does). No doubt it would taste abominable. This is satire but, no doubt, there will be some gullible Christians that will believe anything. They don't read footnotes do they?

I think the whole idea was to show that people are too ready to believe everything

they are told or they read.

I'm sorry if you thought the post was mocking or ridiculing you, that certainly wasn't the intention.

But please don't accept the word of one person as being Gospel Truth or even those of family

who may have been misled opriginally, we all proceede through Knowledge and knowledge is aquired by asking.

I think the response from everyone on this thread was

AVOID THE BREAD,

whether done in a straight forward or Satirical manner.

Best Regards,

David

Lisa Mentor
Oh, I am pretty sure Irish Davey boy was just joking. Certainly that web site is way off the mark. The site does say it is meant to be satire.

I am certain that Irish Dave Boy was joking and he was very clear about the satirical nature of his post. We all need some humor to get by with our daily struggles.

caek-is-a-lie Explorer

OMG ROTFL!! That was hillarious! Thanks for posting. :lol:

caek-is-a-lie Explorer
Most grocery stores where I shop have the Exekial bread right next to the gluten-free bread. It is almost like the stores consider it gluten-free, but it is not advertised by the company to be gluten-free.

One of my local grocery stores puts all the gluten-free cereals right next to the 'organic' health food gluteny ones. They really don't care. Same with flours...the gluten-free flours are on the same shelf with the organic whole wheat health-nut expensive flours. For some reason that manager or that district seems to think that gluten-free is just a lifestyle choice, not a serious health problem. Ah that would be nice, eh? :rolleyes: At least I know where to find my Gorilla Crunch.

SBisglutenfree Rookie

OK - I'm over it... Maybe I should change my username to "too sensitive". Can I blame the gluten in the Ezekiel bread? That's it - I was glutened! Well, I'm learning - the bread didn't create a digestive problem, but now I realize that just because it didn't cause me to run to the bathroom, doesn't mean it didn't do damage to my body in some way.

I'm throwing away the bread! Sorry I was so sensitive... :(

S.

Lisa Mentor
OK - I'm over it... Maybe I should change my username to "too sensitive". Can I blame the gluten in the Ezekiel bread? That's it - I was glutened! Well, I'm learning - the bread didn't create a digestive problem, but now I realize that just because it didn't cause me to run to the bathroom, doesn't mean it didn't do damage to my body in some way.

S.

:D

Jestgar Rising Star

S.

So glad you came back!

I'm pretty touchy when I've been glutened. You're forgiven. :D

• 2 years later...
Jilybuck Newbie

I feel totally duped! I should have come here first to read. I've been trying to get my hands on all of the information I can about this subject. I first read about sprouted grains in a book called Original Fast Foods. The I emailed the author who suggested that I could eat sprouted grains and be okay. I guess I was hoping against hope that after 3 years somehow I could in someway begin to eat normallay again. I should have known better but such is the hope of a person with Celiac.

I ate this bread this morning and have a small stomache. I guess it will have to go to those in my family that can eat it.

Thanks for the information! I hope others read this before they partake of this bread!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I feel totally duped! I should have come here first to read. I've been trying to get my hands on all of the information I can about this subject. I first read about sprouted grains in a book called Original Fast Foods. The I emailed the author who suggested that I could eat sprouted grains and be okay. I guess I was hoping against hope that after 3 years somehow I could in someway begin to eat normallay again. I should have known better but such is the hope of a person with Celiac.

I ate this bread this morning and have a small stomache. I guess it will have to go to those in my family that can eat it.

Thanks for the information! I hope others read this before they partake of this bread!!

Welcome to the board. Are you having trouble finding gluten free replacements for some stuff? If you are we may have some suggestions to make things easier. So ask any questions you need to.

Archived