This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Easy, Yummy Bread In Minutes

lonewolf

Ginsou Explorer

Angelhair45.....I live in a dry climate and an elevation of 4050 feet . I tried your recipe, and it came out great!! I've tried experimenting with different flour blends, and so far yours has worked out the best....very moist. I nuked it at 80.

Living Without magazine has a recipe for an all purpose flour mix using 5 flours, and when I have time I will experiment with their mixture to see if I can come up with a "white" hamburger version.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one more mile Contributor

I also made a breakfast version of this and took it along on my trip. I added lemon peel, ginger and nutmeg and raisins nuked it and tossed it in a baggy. It traveled well and with a bit of orange juice was a great way to start the day.

I also added dry onion, sage and rosemary and made a single persons dinner roll.

It is just such a cool idea to play with. Some batches come out dry without the flax seed, so i just add a few drops of olive oil or vegetable oil It does not take much.

It is nice to have such a fun and flexible idea.

sorry the chocolate cake did not work for you. Keep playing with it though till you get it right!

lonewolf Collaborator

I'm so glad that all of you are having success with this! I don't know how many times I've been in a hurry and made a quick "bun" and eaten it for breakfast. It has protein and fiber and takes no time at all to whip up.

Keep sharing your experiments too!

ranger Enthusiast

anybody try ham and cheese and things like that, to make a portable "meal"? Gonna try it later. Will let you know if it works.

one more mile Contributor
anybody try ham and cheese and things like that, to make a portable "meal"? Gonna try it later. Will let you know if it works.

I have put cheese in one and it worked pretty good. Hemp seeds also are a good nutrition addition. You can really add anything just think of it as a portable omelet with flour in it.

sickchick Community Regular

Thank you for the post! :)

I just went Rice Free a week ago and am in a jam about sandwich bread-

Will make it today (I got all the ingredients - will be doing Sorgrahm & Flax)

Organic ham & lettuce in the fridge!

wahoo!!! ;)

ranger Enthusiast

added 2 oz. ham, 1 oz. grated cheddar, and some dried onions. Turned out really good. And I got fresh bread on a really hot day without having to turn on the oven ( another big plus)!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sickchick Community Regular

Made it last night with Sorghum (sorry I spelled it wrong before HAHA) and Flax. Turned out DIVINE!!!

Had some sweet potato fries with it :D

Making more tonight thank you again for sharing! B)

lovelove

• 2 weeks later...
susiequsie Apprentice
Made it last night with Sorghum (sorry I spelled it wrong before HAHA) and Flax. Turned out DIVINE!!!

Had some sweet potato fries with it :D

Making more tonight thank you again for sharing! B)

lovelove

I was rereading this thread intending to try this recipe. I know you said you tried sorghum, but did you mean as the entire flour in the recipe or to replace one of the flours?

wendstress Rookie

Tried it for lunch today with 1/3 cup of Pamela's Baking Mix in place of the rice/flax/almond ingredients (because it was what I had!).

Turned out just fine.... Has potential for futher experimentation, too!

Made a few baggies of just the dry ingredients for future needs. How easy can it be????

Thanks for making life just a little easier!

njbeachbum Explorer

i'm going to have to try this when i get home from work today... this is the first time i am seeing this! just out of curiosity... what is the importance of the cocoa in this?

i don't have all of those ingredients at home, so i am going to try it with my gluten free flour blend (potato, tapioca, white rice), and maybe sprinkle some italian seasonings in there with a dash of olive oil... how does that sound????

thanks for the great idea!

PhillyCeliacTriathlete Newbie
I think I am going to borrow some egg replacer from another friend of mine to try it. I don't have a problem with eggs, so I don't want to buy a whole box of it. I microwaved it for 4 1/2 minutes, so just triple the original cooking time. I liked it so much I have eaten three sandwiches today. My hips will thank me later. :lol:

I found an AWESOME hamburger bun recipe (taken from Open Original Shared Link. Check it out. It makes the ideal hamburger bun. AND it's not too expensive.

My family always says the worst part about having gluten-free mixes is over-spending on ingredients and this recipe isn't that expensive. ENJOY. It tastes good with gluten-free ketchup.

lonewolf Collaborator
just out of curiosity... what is the importance of the cocoa in this?

The cocoa isn't really important at all. I just like the darker look of the bread, since I was a "whole wheat and honey" type person before going gluten-free. You can easily leave it out.

njbeachbum Explorer

ok Liz, all i have to say is - OMG thank you for this recipe! i ran home from work and tried this right away yesterday bc i was so curious as to how it would come out... i made mine like this:

beat up an egg with some olive oil & sea salt in a cup

whisked together the dry ingredients:

2T Pamela's baking mix

1/2 T Cornstarch

1 1/2 T Brown Rice Flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

3/4 tsp sugar

1T Italian Seasonings

poured the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stirred/folded with a rubber spatula until it was well mixed and slightly doughy... then i sprayed a small cereal bowl with PAM olive oil, dropped the dough in and topped with some dried minced onion, dried basil and fresh black pepper. then 90 seconds in the microwave, and much to my amazement, out popped a moist, spongy, delicious, cake-like bread concoction (and the herbs were a great touch). this could easily be used as a warm bun for a cheeseburger. i was shocked. i made a small sandwich and enjoyed it. this would also be great just dipped in olive oil as a starter with din din. yum!

thanks again!!!

njbeachbum Explorer

ok i tried another two concoctions last night... same mix of dry ingredients, with pamela's baking mix, brown rice flour and cornstarch:

(1) i used italian seasonings & grated romano cheese in the dough, then layered some turkey pepperoni and grated cheese in the middle before cooking. also topped with dried basil, dried minced onion and black pepper before cooking

(2) added a little more sugar and vanilla extract to the dough; then added brown sugar to the egg (and a dash of canola oil) and mixed it in my magic bullet blender. then i dumped in the dry ingredients and mixed the dough in there (which worked quite nicely). i poured it into the cereal bowl for baking and topped it with a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon. this one came out really really tasty for a sweet muffin type of snack. i also had some leftover vanilla frosting from cupcakes i made this weekend and i was in heaven

The gluten-free Greener Newbie

Thank you for the recipe!

I didn't have any time to bake a loaf of bread before class today, with all the measuring of flours and mixing and waiting for the yeast to rise...and I just saw this, so I tried it right away with sorghum flour instead of the rice. It was quite nice with almond butter and jam! All I had to microwave it in was a Pyrex measuring cup. If anyone else is baking it in something similar, I think it helps to flip the loaf over partway through the cooking time, so it is not too wet on the bottom.

I've never used a microwave for actually cooking before - just heating up leftovers and such. I have seen a recipe for microwaved gluten-free chocolate cake in a coffee mug, though, so maybe I will have to try that too!

purple Community Regular
Thank you for the recipe!

I didn't have any time to bake a loaf of bread before class today, with all the measuring of flours and mixing and waiting for the yeast to rise...and I just saw this, so I tried it right away with sorghum flour instead of the rice. It was quite nice with almond butter and jam! All I had to microwave it in was a Pyrex measuring cup. If anyone else is baking it in something similar, I think it helps to flip the loaf over partway through the cooking time, so it is not too wet on the bottom.

I've never used a microwave for actually cooking before - just heating up leftovers and such. I have seen a recipe for microwaved gluten-free chocolate cake in a coffee mug, though, so maybe I will have to try that too!

1. I put it on a paper towel after removing it from the dish to absorb moisture

2. To me, the cake in a mug was eggy, I don't like eggy taste

3. The brownie in a mug was really good and no egg

• 4 weeks later...
A&Z'S MOM Apprentice

:rolleyes:

Thank you..its been a year since we have had any kind of bread..its wonderful and perfect for sandwiches..tried it yesterday with my dd 7yrs...it was exciting to watch it cook!!!Bless You....this forum has become our rock.......our journey to be gluten-free started a yr ago..and i would not have lasted with out the support of the folks( Like u :rolleyes: ) at the forum !!!!loved it loved it!!!

songstressc Apprentice
I'm so glad that all of you are having success with this! I don't know how many times I've been in a hurry and made a quick "bun" and eaten it for breakfast. It has protein and fiber and takes no time at all to whip up.

Keep sharing your experiments too!

I tried the original recipe tonight and we had burgers on buns for the first time since going Gluten-Free! This is great and opens up ideas for many things! Thanks for the post!! :rolleyes:

kelly4me Newbie

I am really excited. I tried this with 3T Pamela's Mix and 1T Almond Meal, 80 seconds in our microwave and it was pretty darn good. It was quick, easy and the texture was much better than a lot of the gluten-free breads that we've tried. DS ate it with peanut butter. The fact that I can make it on the fly is so great. Thanks!

CountryStar Rookie

:D

This is super cool! Very fun to make!!

I just did 4 Tbsp. Brown Rice Flour and it worked out pretty well. I suggested it to my mom who has decided to try the gluten free diet. She doesn't like the texture of the store bought bread so maybe she will like this.

I liked it :P I think part of the whole thing may be though that i FEEL so much better on the diet that if things taste alittle different it doesn't matter ;)

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

• 4 weeks later...
kristy1129 Newbie

Here is a spin off of that recipe that I got from Trader Joe's...there are tons of people on another group I belong to that love it!!

1/4 c Almond meal (ONLY 3.99/lb - WAY cheaper than everywhere else)

1 tsp. Cinnamon

1 Egg - well beaten

1 Tbsp Canola oil (I use grapeseed oil)

1 Tbsp Agave Sweetener

Mix dry & wet ingredients separately and then together.

Pour batter into coffee cup that has been lightly sprayed with a non-stick spray.

Microwave on high for 1 minute to 1 minute 15 seconds

Invert over plate; should fall out easily.

Top it off with a little butter or all-fruit spread.

You could also put some fruits or whatever in it. It's also great with some brown sugar.

--

Tonight I subbed the cinnamon with Garlic Powder and garlic salt. It was a bit too sweet, but so great to have fresh moist garlic 'bread'

I'll further experiment, but totally love this!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Anyone have trouble with the bun coming out royally funkified shapes with holes in the middle?

purple Community Regular
Anyone have trouble with the bun coming out royally funkified shapes with holes in the middle?

I called my holes "craters" but my dd didn't even notice them and she is 20! I haven't noticed them since. You can also turn the top bun slice outside-in...lol! ...or the whole thing upsidedown? :lol:

I always love your descriptions :blink::rolleyes::lol:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I called my holes "craters" but my dd didn't even notice them and she is 20! I haven't noticed them since. You can also turn the top bun slice outside-in...lol! ...or the whole thing upsidedown? :lol:

I always love your descriptions :blink::rolleyes::lol:

I know, I'm a goof. It came out looking like a demented mushroom, but my microwave is on crack compared to other people's, I lowered the power setting and that helped a bit.

Archived