This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pituitary Adenoma

kimis

kristenloeh Community Regular

I have my surgical consultation on April 3rd, so hoping we will know after that when we can expect the surgery to happen if the neurosurgeon says he feels confident in being able to remove the tumor. If he can't remove it, or can't get all of it, the next step would be radiation. *crosses fingers that won't be the case*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kamma Explorer

Fingers crossed too that you won't have to have radiation.  Radiation is one of my fears as well.  The only good thing I can say about that is that the effects of radiation do go away after time.  :mellow:

You're on an emotional rollercoaster ride with the hormonal state that you're body is in and the anticipatory/anxiety feelings that all this is bringing on.  Throwing hair straighteners is totally acceptable and understandable.  When we're in the clutches of the hormones and we don't feel any control over our emotional selves life just feels rotten.  One of the things that I do to kind of help maintain a steady, calm presence is to remind myself that the crazy, tearfilled emotions that I'm feeling are 'not me' - just my body  wildly fluctuating.  It helped to be able to stand back and just observe instead of getting caught up and lost in it.  It's called 'mindfullness training' in Western medical circles and is derived from Buddhist meditation practices.  They also use it to help people with pain and depression so it could also be useful for the migraines until you get your prescription filled.  Just google it if you want to know more.

Hmm, interesting, I'll take a look at it.

Good news: My thyroid levels came back normal, so no Hypothyroidism for me :)

Bad news: This migraine I had for 3 days finally made me break down and go to the hospital last night.

kareng Grand Master

Hmm, interesting, I'll take a look at it. Good news: My thyroid levels came back normal, so no Hypothyroidism for me :) Bad news: This migraine I had for 3 days finally made me break down and go to the hospital last night.

Did it help? I feel so bad for you. I wish I lived closer so I could drive you or walk your dog or do your laundry or make you chicken soup.

Did it help? I feel so bad for you. I wish I lived closer so I could drive you or walk your dog or do your laundry or make you chicken soup.

Yeah, they gave me some percocet along with a cocktail of toradol, compazine and benadryl. Got the pain down to about a 4 or so, and then they gave me a script for Floricet until I can get in with my primary care doc. My jaw has been hurting like hell so I haven't been able to eat much as of the last 5 days. All symptoms point to TMJ and I'm REALLY hoping that is NOT the case. 

Aww, you're so very sweet. Thankfully, my mom and step-dad have been great with taking care of me through all of this. 

Kamma Explorer

Pain under control now, kristenleoh?  Life is always a lot more tolerable when you don't have a jack hammer in your head. 

Fantastic you don't have hypothryroidism.  Cross that one off your list!  :)

Pain under control now, kristenleoh?  Life is always a lot more tolerable when you don't have a jack hammer in your head. 

Fantastic you don't have hypothryroidism.  Cross that one off your list!  :)

Yeah, I'm just back to my normal daily pain off and on instead of constant. Close to constant, but not totally, lol. And yeah, it's nice to know there is SOMETHING normal about me, haha. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...

So! Just got home from my surgery consult and they are getting me in on Tuesday for the surgery! Holy crap!! Freaking out!!

Kamma Explorer

Yup, I'd be freaking out too.

Which procedure are they going to use?

Going through my nose, through my sinus.

GottaSki Mentor

Praying for your surgeon's hands to bring healing -- and had to post so you could see I finally took a photo of my blue toes!

PS...Shelby is sporting a pink ribbon in honor of Kristen along with the green striped (my favorite color) -- but the pink got cropped in the profile pic thingy

Praying for your surgeon's hands to bring healing -- and had to post so you could see I finally took a photo of my blue toes!

PS...Shelby is sporting a pink ribbon in honor of Kristen along with the green striped (my favorite color) -- but the pink got cropped in the profile pic thingy

Aww!! Super cute! I still have my toes blue and will be doing my nails blue on Sunday as well, for extra healing :)

GottaSki Mentor

Good Luck Kristen!!!

Fresh blue fingers and toes here -- plus a cobalt blue sparkly ribbon on both my kitty and dog :)

Good Luck Kristen!!!

Fresh blue fingers and toes here -- plus a cobalt blue sparkly ribbon on both my kitty and dog :)

Aw! Thanks! Check in is at 11:30am tomorrow. Getting ready to say "eff you tumor! you're getting your butt yanked out!!" :P

kareng Grand Master

Bye Bye tumor!

So, I'm back home from the hospital. The surgeon was able to get all of the tumor, despite my unusual amount of blood which made it harder to see. He was able to preserve about 80% of my gland and my prolactin went from a level of 60 (three times the normal) and down to 2! I look pretty beat up right now. Bruises under my eyes and the surgeon got a few chunks of my nose off (which I'm REALLY pissed about and hoping it heals back okay). I'm still heavily medicated as I am having a hard time with the post surgical pain and nausea. Nose keeps bleeding like CRAZY when I bend forward slightly and insanely congested with icky blood clots, but I'm hanging in there. Thank you ALL for all the well wishes and being there for me. It has meant more than you will ever know to me :) 

<3

GottaSki Mentor

Ok...sucky for now, but so thankful to hear your blob is gone! And the numbers are great, right?

Rest up - the racoon look will fade - thanks for the update :)

Kamma Explorer

That's fantastic that he was able to preserve 80% of the pituitary.  Seriously, you must be ecstatic about that.  

Glad you came out of this relatively okay.  The black eyes will fade and the nose will grow back (somehow that sounds like Pinochio) and you'll move onwards to a more fulfilling life sans the pain and wacked out hormonal stuff.

Well, looks like I am already having my first complication with the Open Original Shared Link. Was diagnosed with Diabetes Insipidus, so I have to start a new hormone treatment ASAP and keep a VERY close eye on my sodium/electrolyte levels. Awesome.

GottaSki Mentor

Sorry Girlie--

Is this from surgery or your body adjusting to your pituitary getting back to functioning without "Blob"?

Hang in there -- you had major - um -- MAJOR surgery on Tuesday -- it will take some time to heal -- rest up!

Sorry Girlie--

Is this from surgery or your body adjusting to your pituitary getting back to functioning without "Blob"?

Hang in there -- you had major - um -- MAJOR surgery on Tuesday -- it will take some time to heal -- rest up!

It's a complication from the surgery. No idea if it will be temp or perm yet. Starting new meds for it today and having to get my labs done tomorrow, Gotta keep a major close eye on my levels so I don't go into seizures and what not.

GottaSki Mentor

ya...that convulsing crap is no fun -- careful, easy going....are you still a raccoon today?

ya...that convulsing crap is no fun -- careful, easy going....are you still a raccoon today?

Not nearly as bad as the other day, thankfully. I just started to meds for the diabetes and I'm responding really well to it thankfully. :)

kareng Grand Master

Sorry this is so hard. Sending positive thoughts.

Archived