This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

365 Brand Gluten Free Sandwich Bread

gfpagan

gfpagan Apprentice

A few weeks ago I made the Gluten Free Pantry sandwich bread and it was awesome! I kept reading on here about 365 (Whole Foods) brand that it was better and cheaper. So I tried it yesterday. Well, it burned on the bottom, didn't cook in the middle and made my smoke alarm go off! I think I'll be sticking to the Gluten Free Pantry.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eringopaint Newbie

Hi Erin,

Sorry to hear that. I make the 365 Brand bread every week... though I have had to tweak the cooking time. In my oven it needs about 36 minutes otherwise there is usually a raw spot in the center. (The box says 30 minutes I think).

Also it tends to cook better when it rises above the top of the pan before putting it in the oven.

I've never had the burnt bottom though.

Did a big blog of dough flop over the side while baking? That used to happen to me - and that always set off the smoke alarm.

I really like this bread - but I am going to try the Gluten Free Pantry now.

Funny... I am running across a very high precentage of Erin's in all the Celiac groups!

thanks for sharing,

erin

nasalady Contributor
Funny... I am running across a very high precentage of Erin's in all the Celiac groups!

:lol: There's a good reason that you run across a lot of Erins in Celiac groups! The Irish have one of the highest rates of celiac disease in the world!

See: Open Original Shared Link

Cheers,

JoAnn

babinsky Apprentice

Can gluten free pantry and 365 be made in a bread machine? My son was just diagnosed and he is away at college...I am trying to teach him how to do his own stuff, so I bought him a bread machine and some pamela's bread mix. It worked out well but it would be nice if he had some other options.

savvvyseller Enthusiast

My recollection was that Gluten Free Pantry makes the 365 mixes for Whole Foods.

gfpagan Apprentice

lol, I didn't know there was a slew of gluten-free Erins around! Funny thing is I have no Irish in me, just my name.

Maybe I'll have to try it again, I didn't have anything flop over, it is still edible toasted, but just didn't come out as good as the gluten free pantry one. I thought I had also read that gluten-free pantry made the 365 one. Maybe something is missing because it was a little cheaper, no idea.

:lol: There's a good reason that you run across a lot of Erins in Celiac groups! The Irish have one of the highest rates of celiac disease in the world!

See: Open Original Shared Link

Cheers,

JoAnn

eringopaint Newbie

Nasalady - thanks for the link about celiacs and the Irish... I had heard that there is a very high percentage of celiacs in Ireland. In Italy too.

GFPagan - I guess having an Irish name was enough for you to get Celiac. :-)

I am 6th generation Irish/American. Some day hope to visit Ireland.

Babinsky - Yes the 365 brand can be made in a bread machine, instructions are on the box. Hope it works for your son!

erin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star

In my experience, 365's yeast appears to be a "dud" . I went back to Gluten Free Pantry mix and I do not have the "dud" experience with gluten-free Pantry.

gfpagan Apprentice
In my experience, 365's yeast appears to be a "dud" . I went back to Gluten Free Pantry mix and I do not have the "dud" experience with gluten-free Pantry.

Okay, at least it's not just me then! It did not appear to rise at all and though I would cook it anyway thinking maybe it would be okay. Back to gluten free pantry I go.

brigala Explorer

If the only difference is the yeast, and if the 360 bread is more economical, it might make sense to buy the yeast packets seperately and just use good yeast with it...

Just a thought. I don't have a Whole Foods nearby, so I buy the Gluten Free Pantry or Pamela's online.

-Elizabeth

(Also of Irish heritage)

(Maybe we should organize an American Celiac Tour of Ireland group trip someday) ;-)

lizard00 Enthusiast

I bought this mix today for the first time ever. I haven't tried it yet, but I had no problems with the actual rising/baking of the bread.

Although, the dough almost ate my mixer and spatula. LOL :lol:

So, it finally cooled enough to eat it, I thought it was great. Best gluten-free bread I've had yet... not that I eat a lot of bread, but it was soft and delicious. :)

Archived